The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1g AWD Axle Seal replacement scratched the case. ideas to fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian7321

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
I just replaced my axle seal on the passenger side for the third time and now notices why it was leaking. Turns out I must have scratched the transmission case when I took one of the old ones out and that is why it is not getting a good seal.

Now the problem is that I really dont feel like pulling the whole transmision and swapping out casings(though I can just dont want to). I was wondering if I just filled the scratches with an epoxy or jb weld and if that would be ok. Theoretically to me it seems like it should work as long as I make everything smooth as possible.

Opinions or other ideas?

Thanks,
-Ian

Did you scratch the case or crack the case? If its just a scratch you can just put some silicone around the outside of the seal and it should seal fine. also check your axle to make sure there isnt a grove cut into it from the seal. If there is you can go to napa and pick up a speede sleve. It kind of presses onto whatever you're trying to seal and gives it a new sealing serface.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back