The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G - Alternator belt replaced now the belt is Squeaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowmanFD

Proven Member
Dec 11, 2021
North Seattle, Washington
I recently replaced my alternator and belt and now on start up the belt squeaks for about a minute or so, also the coolant light comes on from time to time i just had my water pump replaced when i did the timing so im hoping its not that. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Solution
Can you see a clean spot on the alternator tensioner where the old belt was set? Sometimes a new belt feels super tight but it still needs to be set the same, assuming the belt is the correct/same size.
Turns out it wasn't tight enough, i had to use an impact to Tighten it more because the socket didnt have enough leverage
Belt isn't tight enough.
Coolant light is triggered from the sensor in the bottom of the overflow. The system was probably bled incompletely. Add some coolant to the system and the overflow.

I recently replaced my alternator and belt and now on start up the belt squeaks for about a minute or so, also the coolant light comes on from time to time i just had my water pump replaced when i did the timing so im hoping its not that. Any other ideas on what it could be?
To simply say that the water pump isn’t leaking or the system is leak free without a pressure test is how people kill things. The surfaces on these cars or any vehicle in general needs to as true to flat as possible and then they could still leak. Paper gaskets are junk. Essentially a one time use if and when they get wet they are trash.

Can you see a clean spot on the alternator tensioner where the old belt was set? Sometimes a new belt feels super tight but it still needs to be set the same, assuming the belt is the correct/same size.
Turns out it wasn't tight enough, i had to use an impact to Tighten it more because the socket didnt have enough leverage

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back