The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g Alt wont charge battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm alaska 907

Probationary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Sutton, Alaska
So i just got this 92 talon tsi awd and the alternator won't charge the battery, yes im sure the alternator is good. The 80 amp fuse is good in the fuse box. The battery light on the dash is on and had some messed up wires coming off the alternator, and the battery is relocated to the trunk. Any suggestions? I was thinking about redoing the wiring for the battery relocation but I'm not sure if thats the problem.
Anything helps im out of ideas!

So i just got this 92 talon tsi awd and the alternator won't charge the battery, yes im sure the alternator is good. The 80 amp fuse is good in the fuse box. The battery light on the dash is on and had some messed up wires coming off the alternator, and the battery is relocated to the trunk. Any suggestions? I was thinking about redoing the wiring for the battery relocation but I'm not sure if thats the problem.
Anything helps im out of ideas!
Forgot to mention it also breaks up in boost

If its not charging its likely going to break up, fix the charging issue first before biting off any more. I suggest that you run all new wires to the battery from the fuse box and a new wire from the fuse box to the alternator, AND you need a fuse at the battery so that you dont burn the car or anything else down.

Is that all the charging system really is in these cars? Alternator to the fuse box where the 80 amp fuse is then to the battery?

Is that all the charging system really is in these cars? Alternator to the fuse box where the 80 amp fuse is then to the battery?
Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, the charging system won't work if both the alternator relay (in the left-side fuse box) and the charge light in the dash are messed up. It will charge if just one of those works.

The FSM suggests that if the charging indicator in the gauge cluster fails to turn off once the engine started to check the IC Voltage Regulator inside the Alternator. (which usually means replace the Alternator)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back