The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1g after market shift knob - let’s see some pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybe you already know, but your shift knob being lower on the shifter doesn't change the distance of the throw at all.

I do agree sitting lower is much better overall feel and pretty much anything is better than the stock 1g.
Not sure what you mean here.? To me the throw is defined by the angle of actuation times the distance from pivot to lever end. If I put a two-foot extension on the lever, would the throw not be much longer?

Not sure what you mean here.? To me the throw is defined by the angle of actuation times the distance from pivot to lever end. If I put a two-foot extension on the lever, would the throw not be much longer?

The distance your hand would be moving might be shorter but below the pivot point still travels the same distance. Real short throws shorten the distance below the pivot point

Yes, I see what you’re saying. Although my understanding is that a short-throw shifter actually lengthens the travel below the pivot, meaning less angle needed on the portion above the pivot (and less distance of throw). The amount that the cables move has to remain constant to shift properly. What I’m more curious about is why the heavier weight of the knob improves feel, which I accept, but don’t understand.

Yes, I see what you’re saying. Although my understanding is that a short-throw shifter actually lengthens the travel below the pivot, meaning less angle needed on the portion above the pivot (and less distance of throw). The amount that the cables move has to remain constant to shift properly. What I’m more curious about is why the heavier weight of the knob improves feel, which I accept, but don’t understand.
Yeah sorry you're right. Below the pivot point is longer. And I'm honestly not sure. On my sti it did improve it a bit but I'm Not sure on my dsm if it will or not. We'll see.

The weight of the knob is almost like you are shifting harder, but too much weight behind the shift will certainly bend or break something in the transmission unless you have shift stops on the shifter.
Once you start your shift to the next gear, the weight helps keep that momentum the same speed until stopped by Newtons 1st & 2nd law.

Yes, that Newton was a sharp fellow, and also made good fig cookies. So in the transmission internals, is there a reason that small displacements of the shift fork have little resistance, but nearing the engagement point it meets with more resistance? Then I could see how building momentum initially would prevent an abrupt feeling of resistance as the lever nears the extent of its travel. My factory shifter does have "stops", but my shifting experience is hampered by synchros that I believe are now just there for show. Need a rebuild, and I'm not that brave (crazy??). I'd like to try forming a knob from lead. Just melt some fishing weights to form a blob, and it's pretty easy to shape since it's so soft. A knob obviously gets about zero stress. I have a person who redid my leather seats, so she could probably put a nice leather cover on it. I wouldn't do anything different shape-wise than the 3kgt one that I got for $5 on ebay. But it would be interesting to see what difference the weight would play in a side by side comparison. They can be swapped in a pull-out during a test drive.

Went with the skunk 2 shift knob. It’s pretty heavy and feels great. Just have to shorten the shifter assembly

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Extremepsi Metal knob is super cold right now in the winter. Didn't really like it anyways and swapped back to whatever I have. It was a little too round for my liking

Attachments

• 20201229_104021.jpg
    20201229_104021.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 24
Extremepsi Metal knob is super cold right now in the winter. Didn't really like it anyways and swapped back to whatever I have. It was a little too round for my liking

Never new extreme sold shifters. I had a round chrome one on my 2g that felt decent. But yeah I hated it on a hot day. Didn’t mind the cold days though.

3rd gen Nissan Altima knob here. Its what we have been running on the White 90 GSX until I made the chrome ball as a test. Its short, feels good in the hand and ITS NOT COLD.
I never posted what I was originally running in that car....I have too many.....but anyway it is nice and makes for a shorter knob and throw.

3rd gen Nissan Altima knob here. Its what we have been running on the White 90 GSX until I made the chrome ball as a test. Its short, feels good in the hand and ITS NOT COLD.
I never posted what I was originally running in that car....I have too many.....but anyway it is nice and makes for a shorter knob and throw.

Too many is right ROFL:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back