The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1g ac unit removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

636chris

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
whats up guys . im stripping pretty much everything i dont use out of my 90 awd but i cant seem to find any info on removing the ac stuff from under the dash . Anyone have a clue or a write up. pretty much the only thing im keeping is heat and defrost .

Remove your glove box, 3 screws across the bottom. Then you need to remove the metal bar that the glove box mounts to. There's a 10mm on the console side. Then I believe 2 philips on the passenger side. You'll need to wiggle the bar out as its kinda tucked up between the dash and mounting bracket. Remove the fresh air cable. Also remove the duct for passenger feet. You can remove the center portion of the air box which holds the evaporator core. There are 2 12mm bolts at the top holding it to the impact bar behind the dash. Then 1 12-mm at the bottom. Take the connector off of the module at the box. Then lift the center section towards you off the lower stud and then pull it down and out. (note, there may be some plastic push pin clips holding the boxes together)

Then open the box, remove your core. You'll need to seal the hole for the bulkhead. I cut an oval out of sheet metal and glued it in place between the 2 halves of the box. Reassemble the box and put it back in the car. This will allow you to have a fan for defrost or ventilation.

Thanks Jeff I'd def leave you some rep if I could figure out how LOL.

Hmm . Any clue how much of a pain it would be to gut the box leaving the heat and blower working ?

You do NOT need to remove the whole dash. Go to the picture where they have the glovebox out and it shows that metal brace. Take that out. You can then go up with a long 12mm and the one at the bottom. The center section will come out with the dash in place. I said to take apart the box, removing the core. I said to plug the hole and reinstall it to have a functioning blower set up. My car has been this way for 10 years and my fathers car for 3 years.

Hmm . Any clue how much of a pain it would be to gut the box leaving the heat and blower working ?

If you read the 2nd half of my post. I said, remove the box and open it. Its held together with a few metal clips and a few small screws. You remove the core, it just sits inside. Then make something to block the hole where the bulk head is that your a/c piping goes into. You put the box back together and reinstall it into the car. This allows you to retain a functioning blower.

You can also remove the blower if needed for cleaning (if you've had mice). The heater box you will need to remove the whole dash for. Its super simple. I talked a friend through it on the phone in a few minutes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back