The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 1g 7bolt vs 2g 7bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius1995

Proven Member
Jun 15, 2021
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
So what are all the differences?
I noticed that 1g 4g63t 7bolt blocks don't have oil squirters at least but 2g engines has them.

Turbo 1G 7-bolt blocks do have oil squirters, but their overall design is much like those in the 6-bolt blocks, NOT like the 2G style squirters.

The 2G 7-bolt block does not have features for a front engine roll stopper / engine mount. It also has a different mounting flange pattern to match the 2G bellhousing which uses one additional bolt mating the transmission to the block. This extra hole is on the exhaust side of the engine block.

The 2G block also has a port for the turbo coolant feed on the exhaust side. This thread shows that port as well as the additional flange / mounting hole for the transmission on the 2G block: 2G Block Coolant Line.

I'm pretty certain there is also thrust bearing differences, but the crankshafts, rods, and oil pumps are the same - or, at least, interchangeable. The pistons are different due to compression ratio change from 7.8:1 in the 1G to 8.5:1 in the 2G.

Also see: 1gb 7bolt vs 2G 7 bolt engine.

1G 7 bolt block is like between 6 bolt and early EVO. The appearance is like 6 bolt but inside is like early EVO.
Besides Brian mentioned above :
- Oil squirters are the same as early EVO.
- Oil pick up is the same as early EVO.
- Crank trigger plate is the same as early EVO.
- Water pump is the same as 6 bolt.

Turbo 1G 7-bolt blocks do have oil squirters, but their overall design is much like those in the 6-bolt blocks, NOT like the 2G style squirters.

The 2G 7-bolt block does not have features for a front engine roll stopper / engine mount. It also has a different mounting flange pattern to match the 2G bellhousing which uses one additional bolt mating the transmission to the block. This extra hole is on the exhaust side of the engine block.

The 2G block also has a port for the turbo coolant feed on the exhaust side. This thread shows that port as well as the additional flange / mounting hole for the transmission on the 2G block: 2G Block Coolant Line.

I'm pretty certain there is also thrust bearing differences, but the crankshafts, rods, and oil pumps are the same - or, at least, interchangeable. The pistons are different due to compression ratio change from 7.8:1 in the 1G to 8.5:1 in the 2G.

Also see: 1gb 7bolt vs 2G 7 bolt engine.
I have 2 turbo blocks here which came from 1g GST, they don't have oil sqruiters, both my 2g blocks has them 🤔

Is there any benefit to that? Just curious.
Personal preference, I really don't need the oil squirters for my usage and I am tired of breaking/replacing oil squirters. Also the cylinders may be less wrecked by previous owners. So I prefer a non turbo block if it's available when I build the engine.

Is there any benefit to that? Just curious.
I'm curious too, I was thinking that what it might be but I was also thinking what's the coincidence that both of them would've be na blocks

Personal preference, I really don't need the oil squirters for my usage and I am tired of breaking/replacing oil squirters. Also the cylinders may be less wrecked by previous owners. So I prefer a non turbo block if it's available when I build the engine.
But squirters are for cool and lubricate the pistin underneath, why you would not want that? I understand frustration of replacing those but at least I haven't experienced a fault on squirters ever before

But squirters are for cool and lubricate the pistin underneath, why you would not want that? I understand frustration of replacing those but at least I haven't experienced a fault on squirters ever before
You don't exactly need it if you have forged pistons or/and especially if you don't endurance racing or you don't boost often for long. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who prefer not to use oil squirters. If I would do endurance racing or using EVO 6+ pistons, I would use the oil squirters for maximum cooling effect though (But still it's not a must for my usage of the car). And you don't need to lubricate pistons by oil squirters.
Now my 1g has a 6 bolt non turbo block w/ forged pistons and 2g has a 1g 7 bolt non turbo block w/ cast pistons, both without oil squirters. Search the forum, this topic has been covered sometimes before.

You don't exactly need it if you have forged pistons or/and especially if you don't endurance racing or you don't boost often for long. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who prefer not to use oil squirters. If I would do endurance racing or using EVO 6+ pistons, I would use the oil squirters for maximum cooling effect though (But still it's not a must for my usage of the car). And you don't need to lubricate pistons by oil squirters.
Now my 1g has a 6 bolt non turbo block w/ forged pistons and 2g has a 1g 7 bolt non turbo block w/ cast pistons, both without oil squirters. Search the forum, this topic has been covered sometimes before.
Daily use, stock build and regular gas, with 1bar boost, would you use either with squirters or without?

Daily use, stock build and regular gas, with 1bar boost, would you use either with squirters or without?
IMO if I were in your case, I wouldn't probably be worried much if with or without the oil squirters. In case if it's middle of rebuilding the engine and if it's without oil squirters, maybe I would set the PTW clearance in loose side.

IMO if I were in your case, I wouldn't probably be worried much if with or without the oil squirters. In case if it's middle of rebuilding the engine and if it's without oil squirters, maybe I would set the PTW clearance in loose side.
I was installing some new bearings on the bottom end new gaskets and noticed that it don't have squirters as my other block I'm building for 500hp, daily stock engine has 16g, evo3 injectors and I haven't touched pistons on it, has normal wear on everything

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back