The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1g 7 bolt timing belt tensioner arm the same as 2g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hull, Georgia
I have a 1g 7 bolt 4g63 and the timing belt is riding the inside of the cam gears (overlapping the edge a little) and did research to find the cause is most likely the tensioner arm and the front cover gasket could be causing an issue creating a wedge.

All I want to know, and ive looked, is if the 1g 7 bolt timing belt tensioner arm is the same as the 2g timing belt tensioner arm.

I had a timing belt shred in 3 pieces only going about 40 in a school zone, replaced the trigger plate which I seen was bent either because of the timing belt shredding or just got worse (was about 1/8inch into the timing belt) so I want to get the timing belt sat properly and just want to know if they are interchangeable. I tried looking on not only the forums but elsewhere on the internet and just cant find an answer.

I just dont want to waste the money on something that isnt going to work.

That is EXACLY how I do it too, but really you try to compress it with the tool while it is in the car or on the motor, and slip the grenade pin (or whatever) back into the retaining hole. :thumb:

If you put the tensioner in the vice you can actually feel when you need to stop cranking. As stated above, you will feel the resistance in the tensioner as you crank. Stop and wait for a little. The you will notice it will crank easily again, then it will start to get harder. Stop and wait for a little then start again. I don’t think re compressing a tensioner should be more than a 5 minute job. But if you are a true dsmer stop being cheap and buy the timing tools you need to do the job right then you can do it in the car as stated above as well. Very handy tools to have when you need them and will help do the entire job easier and will be a better product in the end.

- Daniel

I have a 1g 7 bolt 4g63 and the timing belt is riding the inside of the cam gears (overlapping the edge a little) and did research to find the cause is most likely the tensioner arm and the front cover gasket could be causing an issue creating a wedge.

All I want to know, and ive looked, is if the 1g 7 bolt timing belt tensioner arm is the same as the 2g timing belt tensioner arm.

I had a timing belt shred in 3 pieces only going about 40 in a school zone, replaced the trigger plate which I seen was bent either because of the timing belt shredding or just got worse (was about 1/8inch into the timing belt) so I want to get the timing belt sat properly and just want to know if they are interchangeable. I tried looking on not only the forums but elsewhere on the internet and just cant find an answer.

I just dont want to waste the money on something that isnt going to work.
No

That is EXACLY how I do it too, but really you try to compress it with the tool while it is in the car or on the motor, and slip the grenade pin (or whatever) back into the retaining hole. :thumb:
It all depends on the situation. If I need to compress the tensioner with the covers still on it (cam/cam gear change) I'll use a tool, but if it's not going to cost me a lot of time, I'll just take the two bolts and and use a vice. It all comes down with what you're most comfortable with/have a better feel for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back