The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 7-Bolt Hydraulic Tensioners, R.I.P. (Mitsu Kills another one...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah this is super true, also knock sensors, MAF. oil filter, brake pads etc etc, there are so many. Some even copy the factory package/sticker. We should be careful. This is why I always recommend people to order through well known stores even it's a bit more expensive.
Nissan has a warning video for knock-off parts. Many knock-off parts really don't work as it should.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
People have been buying knock-off Mitsubishi Timing belts from Ebay for years, yet the guy somehow keeps getting away with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133037969575?hash=item1ef9ae50a7:g:09sAAOSwe09Z5-f3

When I saw this listing a few years back, I was like "How is he selling them cheaper than dealer cost??". Take a look at the font on the packing sticker, the font on the belt and compare them to a legit OEM Timing Belt. The fonts are a *somewhat* close copy, but certainly don't match.

You'll see places like Amayama, Partsouq, etc., listing some of their suppliers in UAE. That in itself gives me pause as they are known to be one of the hot beds for counterfeit automotive parts.

Do a quick Google search for "UAE knock off automotive parts" if you're bored.

People have been buying knock-off Mitsubishi Timing belts from Ebay for years, yet the guy somehow keeps getting away with it.

When I saw this listing a few years back, I was like "How is he selling them cheaper than dealer cost??". Take a look at the font on the packing sticker, the font on the belt and compare them to a legit OEM Timing Belt. The fonts are a *somewhat* close copy, but certainly don't match.

You'll see places like Amayama, Partsouq, etc., listing some of their suppliers in UAE. That in itself gives me pause as they are known to be one of the hot beds for counterfeit automotive parts.

I have actually looked into this when I read about counterfeit Amazon spark plugs. It’s unreal how close they copy the parts and then to imagine how there’s no quality control at all. Whoever is making the product doesn’t have to back it at all because they don’t even put their own name on it. Ive realized that It’s not worth the risk to save just a few dollars and have actually drastically cut my Amazon spending since the pandemic.

In another example a friend bought a whole timing kit for a Honda, all “Honda”
branded stuff, at a crazy discount just like your example timing belt. With the part number stickers, made in Japan, all that.

During the install I just knew something was off. The color of the bags the different parts were in, some minor differences in appearance that maybe only people familiar with the oem parts would realize.

Yeah you guessed it, the belt stripped all the teeth off in less than 10k miles and ruined the heads.

Hold up a sec....fake spark plugs?
Now you're making me question the stuff I got from rockauto. How are we supposed to know? I was shocked to read out the "oem" tbelts. I had no idea.

Hmm, I didn't realize that Amayama was a vendor to watch out for, at least from their UAE warehouse. I did a quick check and I think that of the several orders I've placed with them, only one came from UAE, and just one part was in the order, a TB tensioner pulley (NOT the hydraulic one). I was going to take the TB cover off soon anyway to see how the TB job I did last year held up and if the marks are still all aligned, so I'll check the tensioner while I'm at it. The belt itself I got from a dealer so I should be ok.

But I'm looking to place another order with them and this time quite a few parts are supposed to come from UAE, mostly intake, exhaust, engine-side fuel and turbo parts, mainly gaskets, o-rings, bolts, studs, etc. I guess I should look further into this before ordering, or try to get as many of the parts from Japan as possible.

I did have an experience with what was almost certainly a fake last year. I ordered 2 Power Stop brake kits from Amazon, a front and rear. When I got them one looked fine but the other seemed off. Small things like the typeface and color on the box not being quite right, a spelling mistake or two, and the pads didn't match the images on the product page or look professional.

I called Power Stop and told them about this and sent them some images, and they confirmed that it was probably a fake and graciously agreed to send me real pads for free. The rotors looked ok although who knows if they were real now. I've put some miles on the car since then so I'll take the rotors off soon to see what shape they're in and if there are any cracks or other worrisome signs.

Sheesh, I guess the only safe route is either legit Mitsubishi dealers or DSM vendors. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Hold up a sec....fake spark plugs?
Now you're making me question the stuff I got from rockauto. How are we supposed to know? I was shocked to read out the "oem" tbelts. I had no idea.
I believe rock auto is a legit retailer, it’s eBay and Amazon and other sites where pretty much anybody is supplying their inventory that the fake stuff makes it’s way thru. Check this out:

I believe rock auto is a legit retailer, it’s eBay and Amazon and other sites where pretty much anybody is supplying their inventory that the fake stuff makes it’s way thru. Check this out:

The guy didn't comment but I caught it. The fake box said clearly on the box on the back "double platinum". Well how can that be if it's an iridium plug? The real box said iridium. Clear as day. Wow I had no idea this was going on with stuff this basic.

Yeah I know that listing on eBay, I was seeing it too. They even sell on Facebook and their own website. When they started to sell it some years back, I thought they were selling some amount of discontinued NOS belts for cheaper price, but I realized that's knock-off. If those were NOS from Japan, it should come with a silver sticker to mark the replacing date.
Right, the fonts and printing position are not the same as the original, and also that's strange that the package label says "BELT, TIMING" instead of "BELT, VALVE". That vendor also sells the OEM balance shaft belt that even has a typo on label.

I used to use Amayama as a wholesaler 10 years ago. At that time I didn't see anything wrong. I haven't used them after they started to have the UAE one, so yeah maybe you are right.

I picked up a couple of old nos 1g door seals on amayama back in January. They were legit and came from Japan, just took forever to arrive.

How are people able to keep old...like REALLY old car running? Say an MG or get crazy...model T or something? Or do they just have buckets of money and stuff is all custom made?
Serious question.
I remember coming across a website that had reproduction stickers for like 1970s snowmobiles, but we can't get the fade dots for a 1ga talon?
I think it depends on the car. To your MG reference, I have 1969 Austin Healey Sprite (same as MG Midget) for example and the story with old British cars is totally different. Moss Motors supplies just about every part imaginable. And that is for a car that is over 50 years old It is easier to get parts for that car than it is for my Eclipse! Since I plan to keep the Eclipse running indefinitely and it is my regular use car (work from home so I don't need a beater daily driver, but I do need to get around and like to enjoy my ride and enjoy working on it), I've been stocking up on new parts that are still available especially things likely to fail and/or are critical for running. For stuff not available new, I've been grabbing parts from the salvage yard when I find good ones. I hope the scenario changes. I would think there are enough of us out there to make it worthwhile to remanufacture some of the more critical parts that aren't available new or used with any life left in them. Seems we are invisible to suppliers of vintage car parts. I'm with you about the trim items. I'd really like to see the inside mirror bezels for the 2G remanufactured and re-engineered so they don't break all the time. All the ones at the yards are broken and I got lucky last time and snagged an unbroken one for the driver side on eBay for a reasonable price which was amazing considering how rare an unbroken one is.

I think it depends on the car. To your MG reference, I have 1969 Austin Healey Sprite (same as MG Midget) for example and the story with old British cars is totally different. Moss Motors supplies just about every part imaginable. And that is for a car that is over 50 years old It is easier to get parts for that car than it is for my Eclipse! Since I plan to keep the Eclipse running indefinitely and it is my regular use car (work from home so I don't need a beater daily driver, but I do need to get around and like to enjoy my ride and enjoy working on it), I've been stocking up on new parts that are still available especially things likely to fail and/or are critical for running. For stuff not available new, I've been grabbing parts from the salvage yard when I find good ones. I hope the scenario changes. I would think there are enough of us out there to make it worthwhile to remanufacture some of the more critical parts that aren't available new or used with any life left in them. Seems we are invisible to suppliers of vintage car parts. I'm with you about the trim items. I'd really like to see the inside mirror bezels for the 2G remanufactured and re-engineered so they don't break all the time. All the ones at the yards are broken and I got lucky last time and snagged an unbroken one for the driver side on eBay for a reasonable price which was amazing considering how rare an unbroken one is.
Im guessing that somebody loved the MG enough to start that business. I only know of one guy that could pull this off and let DSMs live forever. Sooo....whaddya say Josh? Maybe we should call Moss and see how this was all possible? MG plays ball better than mitsu or did they go so far as to start manufacturing stuff themselves?

Funny thing is Mitsubishi is a current company but it just doesn't seem to realize there is money to be made on reissuing parts to enthusiasts like Toyota and Mazda with Supras and Miatas. MG/Austin, they are all defunct. They died when the whole British car industry went into a slow death spiral in the early 80s. But the cars have had a loyal group of enthusiasts since the beginning. Moss picked up the Mazda Miata because they are seen as the successor to the classic British sports car. Seems Mitsubishi failed to connect with its customers. I think it may also be that DSMers aren't on the radar when it comes to the mainstream car collecting community. DSMs don't seem to get much respect in the mainstream car media from what I've seen. So I'm thinking the movers and shakers in the aftermarket industry just don't see us. Or maybe they don't see us as a long term market worth investing in. Not sure how we get on that radar! Not like there isn't an active and diverse community as I've discovered. I wonder if now that OEM parts are drying up the next step might be for DSM vendors to branch out into getting high demand parts reissued. That's what Moss does. I hope something like that is the future for our cars. I'm prepared though to get into doing more creative solutions and repairs as time goes on in certain situations where there might be no alternatives.

I think that explains where they are at now as a maker of new cars. I was just looking at the sales brochure for my car and looking at the model lineup on the back. They were riding high with a great lineup of successful cars in all the major market niches of the time. Now they barely have a toehold on the North American market with a bunch of bland SUVs and a couple economy cars. Another example of losing site of what made you a success I guess.

I think that explains where they are at now as a maker of new cars. I was just looking at the sales brochure for my car and looking at the model lineup on the back. They were riding high with a great lineup of successful cars in all the major market niches of the time. Now they barely have a toehold on the North American market with a bunch of bland SUVs and a couple economy cars. Another example of losing site of what made you a success I guess.
What's wrong, you don't want an Eclipse Cross?

Hi guys,

Sorry for bringing this thread back but 2 people asked the same question that I had and nobody answered it. Can we use the 2G tensioner in the 1G 7 bolt engine?

Hi guys,

Sorry for bringing this thread back but 2 people asked the same question that I had and nobody answered it. Can we use the 2G tensioner in the 1G 7 bolt engine?
I could be wrong but I guess yes you can use the 2g tensioner in the 1g 7 bolt. The difference between the 1g 7 bolt tensioner and the 2g tensioner is its mounting angle (and also maybe the bolt hole position of timing cover would slightly be different). The 1g 7 bolt tensioner's mounting angle is set for 1g tensioner arm which is shorter than the 2g arm, therefore if you use the 2g tensioner on a 1g 7 bolt, you would have to use it with a 2g tensioner arm and 2g tensioner pulley. The 2g tensioner arm will interfere with the 1g water pump due to the difference of design/length. So you would have to modify/grind the 2g tensioner arm and the 1g water pump to clear the interference.

Last edited:
What's wrong, you don't want an Eclipse Cross?

Comment is over a year old, but I just gotta say I wouldn't even mind an eclipse crossover/CUV. As long as it was turbo/awd. My Edge thoroughly changed my mind on having a quick CUV/small SUV. Comfy AF, runs 12's, spins all four wheels, on only a tune and some luck/traction.

If Mitsubishi pulled the eco stick out of their ass, I can imagine a pretty awesome Eclipse CUV. Turbo 2.0L, AWD, under 4000lbs. Moddable like an Evo...sigh. But they won't. Like DSSA said, they refuse to connect with their customers.

Hell, imagine for a second a Outlander or one of their bigger SUVs with a modern variant of the 6G72TT. 2.7, twin turbo, japanese reliability and mitsu power/performance. I'd legitimately sell a few prized possessions to put a down payment on one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back