The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g 4g63 head on a 4g64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The title says a dohc on a 4g64-yes you can

But your post says sohc on a 4g63? why would you do that anyways.

Sorry trying to deal with kids and type at the same time. i have a 90 Plymouth Laser with a 2.0 dohc non turbo engine in it. i built the car last year for circle track racing. This year they have changed the rules and i have to run a sohc engine. Was wondering if i could put a sohc 2.4 head on the 2.0 dohc engine? Or could i swap a 2.4 motor in this car. i want to stick with a 6 bolt motor but this year i really want to make the guys cry when i fly by them! Just trying to figure out what my options are. I WANNA GO FAST LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry trying to deal with kids and type at the same time. i have a 90 Plymouth Laser with a 2.0 dohc non turbo engine in it. i built the car last year for circle track racing. This year they have changed the rules and i have to run a sohc engine. Was wondering if i could put a sohc 2.4 head on the 2.0 dohc engine? Or could i swap a 2.4 motor in this car. i want to stick with a 6 bolt motor but this year i really want to make the guys cry when i fly by them! Just trying to figure out what my options are. I WANNA GO FAST LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.4 Motor 4g64 from the 3rd gen?

I also have a 90 laser with a 1.8 in it, but i didn't know if it had any potential to kick butt also. I am running against Dodge Neons this yaer and a couple of ford probes. The neon is what won the points last year in this class. I would love to race what i have, but they have eliminated my class so i have to drop down a class. I put up a couple of pics if you go to view my public profile just so you can get a better idea of what i have.

So if they dropped your class what size engine are you limited to for the new class?

There is a sohc 4g63 came in the older galants just use that head. The 4g64 head is different. Or if your slick you could swap to the whole 4g64 engine no one will know it looks the same and has more power.

Or if your slick you could swap to the whole 4g64 engine no one will know it looks the same and has more power.

This would be your best bet, especially for circle track racing. The extra torque down low would really help you get the jump on the other cars on the start and coming out of the turns. If the tech crew is really sharp, they might notice the difference in the block's stamped ID code; that's where a grinder (to remove the code), belt sander (to resurface the pad) and a set of stamps of the correct size (to restamp the block with the codes from your old block) will come in handy. ;) Of course, the true likelihood is that they wouldn't have a clue! :cool:

Grab a block out of a first gen expo van or a 87>89 Hyundai elantra thoes are for sure 2.4s with the correct engine mount attach for the 1G the only bummer is they are 2valve per cylinder heads. But what I was thinking was a lot of the colts with 1.5s had a 3 valve per cylinder head. I guess the easy way to find if it would bolt up would be to get a head gasket off the 1.5 and compair it with the 4G63 gasket.

I have seen them in the junkyard but have not paid a lot of attintion to them but if it worked and if anyone made aftermarket parts for it that would be one beast coming off the turns.:thumb:

Good luck and happy hunting.

I ment HuundI Sonata insted of Elantra. Sory for any confusion.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back