The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g 1.8L Head Bolt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted4

15+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys

Hopefully you can help me out as I dont really know too much about the N/T stuff. I'm working on a 94 Talon with a 1.8L motor in it, i just took the head to get machined because it blew the head gasket. I was wondering if the headbolts for that motor are reuseable or garbage. I'm having a hell of a time finding them.

Thanks for any quick replies.

Brandon

Check the serivce manual. It gives you the tolerances for how much they're allowed to stretch and still be reusable. It is still best to buy new ones. I would hate to put the head back on, only to have it blow the head gasket again.

when you reinstall the head make sure you blow out the head bolt holes with a compresor to get all the fluid and oil out of them. If there is stuff in then like oil or coolant, when u torque them down it will give wrong torque readings, which will later cause you to blow another headgasket... Also make sure after your first warm up and drive, and cool down you retorque the headbolts.. trust me i know from expirence;) and good luck

Boosted4 said:
Hey guys

Hopefully you can help me out as I dont really know too much about the N/T stuff. I'm working on a 94 Talon with a 1.8L motor in it, i just took the head to get machined because it blew the head gasket. I was wondering if the headbolts for that motor are reuseable or garbage. I'm having a hell of a time finding them.

Thanks for any quick replies.

Brandon

You do not NEED new head bolts. You can reuse the ones you have. Save your $$$. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back