The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

19x8.5 rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareem17

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario_Canada
I am just about to purchase a set of 19x8.5 ADR Sterling Chrome rims 38 mm offset w/ 245/35R19 falken tires. My suspension is stock... Will I have any problems with this setup? rubbing? same gap as stock? or less gap?

mysticfire6602 said:
OMG 19" wheels! damn! im pretty sure you will experence one rough ride

Lots of people run on 19's. I am not to sure if you will rub as I don't know of any 19's 8.5" wide.

Less gap. Those tires are about an inch bigger diameter than stock. They may rub the rear knuckle depending on your tire type. It will be close no matter what. Be prepared to use some spacers.

I would go with a 235 tire instead of a 245 as well.

they look really good on that... they are already mounted on "245/35R19 " so i kinda didn't have a choice on the size... but CrazyClipse looks really good... hey crazyclipse, did you experience any rubbing? or have to do any mods like spacers?

ive always heard the biggest on a 2g is 19x8... yes there are people with bigger (20s and over 8 wide) however i know they had fitment issues. not lowering your car will help with clearence, but why wouldnt you want to lower it eventually? personally id get 18x8s but if you are set on 19s, i wouldnt get anything wider then 8....

ok how do I get around the rubbing issues when I mount the rims on my car? I got them on a really good deal, and I couldn't really pass it up

ok... so what do spacers do? is there special spacers that I will need?

I ride at stock height right now, no rubbing at all. :D

I ride at stock height right now, no rubbing at all. :D

I have 225/35's, but the tire could have been slightly wider....

I have 245/40/18's on my Spyder. I love it. No rubbing and I am slammed with Skunk 2 Coilovers and KYB Fully adjustables.

kareem17 said:
ok... so what do spacers do? is there special spacers that I will need?

I’ll answer assuming you know nothing about wheel fitment.

With the dimensions you describe, it is highly likely that your rear tires will rub the “knuckle” that passes over your tire at about a 45° angle. When you fit tires that are wider or larger diameter than stock, the inside edge your tire gets closer to the knuckle. This is countered somewhat by taking away “offset” from the wheel. Offset is the term used to describe the position the center rotational plane of the wheel compared to the hub mounting surface. The stock 46mm offset indicates that the center of the wheel is positioned 46 mm inboard of the hub mounting surface.

Wheel size doesn’t matter when you calculate tire fitment. It’s fitting those damn tires in there that makes things more difficult.

Lets say with stock 205 width tires, the inside edge of your rear tire is 24mm from the knuckle. Then you change the width variable from 205 to 245. Theoretically that’s 20 mm extra on each side of the tire, taking up 20mm of your clearance.

24 – 20 = 4

Now you figure the change in radius. The wheel size calculators on the net are good for this. I think you will find your choice of tire has a standard radius that is about 12mm greater than stock. This takes 8mm away from your clearance.

4 – 12 = -8

That’s 8mm of overlap. This wouldn’t actually rub; it would stop your tire from turning altogether. But then there’s your offset change. If you move the wheels outward using wheels with less offset, you can increase the gap, hopefully to a positive number. The wheels you propose have 8 less offset than stock so you can add 8mm to your clearance

-8 + 8 = 0

Zero clearance will cause your tires to rub like a cat in heat. Obviously manipulated the numbers to arrive at zero because that’s about what I think you will have. Depending on your choice of tire, the clearance could go negative or positive.

Spacers take away offset. A couple millimeters may get you the clearance you need without forcing your to extend your lug studs. You should have at least 8 full turns of engagement of your lug nuts to assure safe mounting. Anything less than that and you need to extend the studs.

Hope this helps.

Edit> Actually these calculations do not include all the consideration good old Pythagoras would give it but hopefully you get the picture.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back