The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

19x8.5 rims.. what offset should I aim for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black-spyder-

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
van, BC_Canada
so I'm set on getting 19" rims for my 97 spyder. I plan to soon drop it 1" or so with tein coilovers.. I also plan on getting the fenders rolled to prevent rubbing etc. my question is what offsets would be best for each rim size 19x7, 19x7.5, 19x8, 19x8.5 ?
I don't really want the rims to stick out of the fenders. I like the flush look.. "if" the do end up sticking out "a little" that's fine with me as long as the tires are stretched.. I actually like that look. the wheel I'm set on is discontinued so I'll be buying them used somewhere, but the width and offsets are varied from each seller.. so if I find a 19x7.5 for sale, what offset would look nice and flush? if I find a 19x8.5 for sale, what offset would look nice and flush etc. etc. and please don't reply just to hate on 19" rims on a 2g.. I don't plan to race, I know the ride quality isn't as good, and I don't care about gas milage, thanks.

so I'm set on getting 19" rims for my 97 spyder. I plan to soon drop it 1" or so with tein coilovers.. I also plan on getting the fenders rolled to prevent rubbing etc. my question is what offsets would be best for each rim size 19x7, 19x7.5, 19x8, 19x8.5 ?
I don't really want the rims to stick out of the fenders. I like the flush look.. "if" the do end up sticking out "a little" that's fine with me as long as the tires are stretched.. I actually like that look. the wheel I'm set on is discontinued so I'll be buying them used somewhere, but the width and offsets are varied from each seller.. so if I find a 19x7.5 for sale, what offset would look nice and flush? if I find a 19x8.5 for sale, what offset would look nice and flush etc. etc. and please don't reply just to hate on 19" rims on a 2g.. I don't plan to race, I know the ride quality isn't as good, and I don't care about gas milage, thanks.

Send a PM to DSM Forums - View Profile: 97droptopturbo

I personally run a staggered Volk racing GT-7 19x8" (f) and a 19x10.5" (r), and i had to roll fenders in front, and roll and pull fenders in the rear.

Front is flush, and the rear has an 1" of poke.

What wheels are you looking to get?
depending on how wide you go....+40 offset +/- 3mm and you can get the right fit/look with spacers.

the biggest issue is clearing the "curve" of the control arms

I'd shoot for an offset between 35-40mm. There will be a slight poke with the lower offset, worse in the rear, but you should have more clearance on the vertical arm of the front knuckle.

4g63tc, I strongly urge you to not use staggered wheels on an AWD or even use different size tires on same size wheels. I doubt you'll listen, but the small difference in the tire diameters is enough to create a constant strain on the stock viscous coupling center differential in the trans.

I'd shoot for an offset between 35-40mm. There will be a slight poke with the lower offset, worse in the rear, but you should have more clearance on the vertical arm of the front knuckle.

4g63tc, I strongly urge you to not use staggered wheels on an AWD or even use different size tires on same size wheels. I doubt you'll listen, but the small difference in the tire diameters is enough to create a constant strain on the stock viscous coupling center differential in the trans.

Nope, the OD of the Tires are off front to rear by 2/10th's of an Inch well within the +/- of the transfer case, which is 8mm,( 235/35/19 @ 25.5" (f), 265/30/19 @ 25.3" (r) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
OD closely matches the OD of a Stock tire which is 25.3" on a 215/55/16

This car isn't a DD, and sees less than 400mi per year. the longest trip will be the 300 mi round trip to the MOD next year.

the wheel is foose lusso (discontinued) there is a set for sale right now that is 19x8.5... I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy. I asked what the offset was, he's yet to get back to me etc. I currently own a set right now, 19x7.5 with a +45 offset, but the bolt pattern is 5x108. I took them to a reputable repair center to see if they could redrill them but the guy said he wouldn't because the chrome would peel in time.. he suggested 1" wheel adapters. I figured that might work. it would push them out an inch, but that should be ok since they're only 19x7.5 +45, but I think the hub studs on my 97 spyder fwd are longer than 1"..? the wheel would have to sit flush on the face of the adapters.. any thoughts or suggestions on this issue?

the wheel is foose lusso (discontinued) there is a set for sale right now that is 19x8.5... I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy. I asked what the offset was, he's yet to get back to me etc. I currently own a set right now, 19x7.5 with a +45 offset, but the bolt pattern is 5x108. I took them to a reputable repair center to see if they could redrill them but the guy said he wouldn't because the chrome would peel in time.. he suggested 1" wheel adapters. I figured that might work. it would push them out an inch, but that should be ok since they're only 19x7.5 +45, but I think the hub studs on my 97 spyder fwd are longer than 1"..? the wheel would have to sit flush on the face of the adapters.. any thoughts or suggestions on this issue?
well this is where it gets interesting. 5x108 Is that off of a "ford" product?

For 1" (25.5mm) you're looking at a Few options.

Since it's a pretty thick adapter, the Studs will have to be pressed out, and new (shorter) ones installed, then the adapter is basically bolted permanently to the hub.
the outer section of the adapter has new studs that are set up for what ever pattern you want.

Here is an example. 3000GT/Eclipse/EVO/Galant (5-Lug)-Options Auto Salon - Sport Compact Car Performance Parts

for a 5x108 it'll have to be custom made. because you're looking for a 5x114.3 to a 5x108.

you would be better off trying to find a wheel that is already 5x114.3, with a "close" offset, and use a "hubcentric" spacer to move the offset to the desired position, no real work expect for installing longer studs.

5x108 is Ferrari, Volvo, some fords etc. I agree it would be easier to just find a used set with 5x114.3 or 5x115.. that's what I'm searching for right now, and the ones I keep finding have different width and offset. each different from seller to seller etc. that's why I'm getting opinions from you guys to figure out the best fit.... I wonder what it would look like though if a ended up putting 1" adapters on a x7.5 w/ +45 ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back