The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 1999 Spyder GST Shifter popped loose

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfiddler

Probationary Member
Sep 3, 2010
Canton, Georgia
First post. I just bought a '99 Spyder GS-T this past weekend. The car is in absolutely beautiful condition. It is bone stock, with the exception of an EVO III big 16g turbo and a catch can. (The shop suggested the previous owner upgrade the turbo when he noticed the turbo seal leaking.) It's a 5 speed - no accidents, 2 owner, Barcelona Red Pearl with Tan Leather interior and Tan top. It came with all service records from first oil change to last (all Amsoil full synth with Amsoil filter.) 125k miles - I paid $6500 for it.

This morning, the shifter popped loose of the tranny. I looked up a similar issue on a previous thread and will investigate this further before posting specific questions (I can tell by the registration process that you guys really don't like duplicate questions :beatentodeath:) Though if you have any pearls of wisdom before I tear the center console out of the car this afternoon, I'd love to hear it!

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To the OP: I am an AMS oil dealer. If you need oil, filters, etc let me know. Figured I'd through it out there in case you decide to continue using AMS oil in the Sypder, which I recommend, but I may be partial :)

On topic, nice find!

Tanro - that's hilarious! & thanks for the tip. I hope it's loose at the tranny so I don't have pull the console out.

E85 - I do plan to keep the Amsoil plan going - if you can get me good prices & shipping, I'll buy from you. Let me know your contact info.

Thanks again,
CB

Ok guys, take a look at these pictures. I cannot see where the cable is broken, it appears that it is still attached at both the shifter end and the tranny end. Any thoughts?

Shifter:

different angle:

Tranny side:

Thank you for this information. I think I'll venture into it tomorrow. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement shifter cable? (part #24906). I can't find the part online.

Thanks again,
CB

Erm, check you cable retainer clips. The c-clips that hold the cables into the shifter base, and onto the transmissiion. You could getting play in the cables if you are missing one.

Also make sure that nothing is in the way of the shifter arms and try shifting it into gear. It looks like all your cables are connected right. But, it you could have bad cables, worn bushings, missing clips, or bad shifter (worn out shifter bushings)

Definelty a very clean 2g. I actually really hate the Tan Tops on those cars but that car is just so damned clean. I have never seen those wheels that shiny.

When you say "popped loose of the tranny" what do you mean? The shift cable doesn't move at all, or the cable came off of the tranny, or the shifter, or ???
Does it shift into any gear or does it feel like the shifter isn't attached anymore or what???

If you look for lowering springs, Spyders need/prefer AWD springs as opposed to FWD.

When you say "popped loose of the tranny" what do you mean? The shift cable doesn't move at all, or the cable came off of the tranny, or the shifter, or ???
Does it shift into any gear or does it feel like the shifter isn't attached anymore or what???

Hi luv2rallye,

The tranny is stuck in 1st gear, and the shifter move forward and backward as if it is not attached to anything, but I can see the cable moving back & forth within a "sleeve" just infront of the cable bracket below the shifter. Here's a video, click on the image below and wait until the last few seconds to see what I'm talking about.

I found a new cable at ExtremePSI. I'm assuming this needs to be replaced...

Last edited:
Go look at where the cable is attached to the tranny to see if it moves there. Sounds like it's broken before it gets there like where it goes into the sleeve there (which is typical especially if it got loose from the cable mount just before this).

clean spyder nice pickup,

but please people stop saying its bone stock... then go "with the exception of a DAMN TURBO UPGRADE"

hahhah, whats next, "its bone stock except 6 bolt swap fully built, and gutted interior"

You need to make sure the cables are attached to the shifter arms on the trans. If they are disconnect them and see if you can shift the transmission manually, with the levers on the trans. Having the cables disconnected from the trans also makes it really easy to see if one of the is broke also.

damn that shits clean as ####!

Im still contemplating trading mine in at a dealer in SF that has a BRP (Barcelona Red Pearl - the color you have) GST SPyder with 27k on the clock for $11k. I want a new car, but i still love my dsm, so i think thats pretty much the best of both worlds.

Very clean purchase, congrats on the car.

I remember seeing this car in craigslist a couple months back when i was looking for a dsm but it was too expensive, if i had the money i would've bought it.
Congrats once again and hope it treats you good, you are a lucky man, it even came wit hthe very rare convertible top cover !

Sho nuff, the cable was broken just inside the sleeve at the shifter. Surprisingly, the cable mount was secure, the cable just finally gave up. My buddy and I used a couple small hose clamps and some good ole fashioned southern know-how to get the car so that it can run in 1st, 3rd, and 5th, but we all know that's not really very useful. I found a replacement cable online, but I'm hoping to find one locally (I'm also hoping for a free Porsche and a date with Jennifer Anniston, we'll see how realistic this all is...)

RedTurboEclipse - yeah, I guess it's not bone stock, but the turbo really isn't fully realized. There's no boost controller and everything is running at stock specs - not so much as a real boost gauge on the car. I'll make sure to be more specific in future posts!

DSMJ89 - I spent $6500 on it. That's more than kbb, but the car is so well taken care of and hard to find, I figured it was worth it. If that your GS-T in your avatar, you have a helluva ride!

Thanks for the look, everyone!
CB

Very Nice find, beautiful car, Your car looks so good it makes me want to cover mine in shame!ROFL Welcome to the fabulous life of a dsmer... just got the car and already having to take it apart!!! I did the same thing exactly 2 days after i bought mine! Part of the fun of owning one though...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back