The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see cool thank you! I got shafted on the last car I bought so Im tryin to be careful this time. Appreciate the advice.

I am new to the import scene and I am lookin at a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI car for $1,800 Says the car dont run because it needs timed. Says it has aftermarket cams new head etc and car wont run and he dont wanna fool with timing it says it has a new timing belt... Any advice?? You think the timing belt was improperly done??

I say move on and look for one that's running unless he sells it to you for really cheap. Look for a 6-bolt if you're looking at DSMs.

Okay, I have found a 95 Talon tsi for $1200. He told me that the engine was dead, and so far from what he described to me it sounds like he bent some valves. It has an aftermarket Bov, 18in wheels, and some other mods( possibly carbon fiber hood)
Is the car worth it?
My plan was to swap the A/T out of my spyder for the M/T in the talon, replace the drums with the Discs, and possibly take all of the turbo parts out (even though the head is probably gone )
I don't plan on getting the car running again, I figure I will just take the parts out of it and use it as a donor car.

Im looking at this tsi awd 90. he said it is bored .40 over and everything is built. he wants like 3300 obo and the body looks in pretty good shape. the only problem is he has nothing for it from the mani back. i have to buy a turbo downpipe and exhaust. He said that he was goin to throw a frankenstein stage 2 on it. but this is were i get weary about it. He says that he has a manifold and he has 2 stock turbo that he doesn't want to put on the car to break in the motor??? is that normal. i would like to see if the damn thing started before i trade/sell my car and then try to make the new dsm run. Im going to look at it this week and should i ask him to start it without a turbo on it. or should i have him try to slap on the old one before i come. Id love to get a awd dsm. and he claims that he thinks with a big enough turbo that he can run 10s. this is what he wrote...

All Wheel Drive
Fresh 4G63 motor 40 over

Block had been sent to the west coast
Head had been sent to the east coast
Assembled in Michigan
Project me and buddy started but he's not around anymore.
I can't finish this project on my own. I am a builder not a mechanic.

Over $5000.00 into the engine & head alone

Bought extra car for the parts (Talon)
I have everything from mirros, interior parts, seats, door pannels, drive shaft, etc

To make car run (tens) needs:
down pipe, exhaust, and turbo
I have 2 stock turbos but did not want to put crap parts on the new motor

Car has very little rust, few dings on the hood.

Rear wiper removed from fin and finished over.

Car is red with yellow fin ~ Windows blacked-out ~ Interior is gray leather with enough extra parts that it can be changed over to tan leather.

Expecting 10 second car upon completion.

Great Deal at $3500.00 O.B.O.

please guys give me your wisdom LOL

Lol 10's? Do you have more specifics about the setup? Injectors, tuning, supporting mods, etc?

As for the rest...If everything listed here is true, then $3500 obo isn't necessarily a bad offer. I'd try to knock it down to $3000 or so though.

that sounds.....what's the word...vauge? i dunno seems very 'unlikely' to run 10s with just that, LOL, with no other supporting mods (MBC...intake...fuel pump, injectors, etc.) besides, a built head is also vauge, built with what? ask for more information, and if he wants 3300, i'd make himi slap at least an exhaust on it.

well like i said im goin to see it and i am actually going to call him today to talk about it. I was going to build my 420a up for kicks and giggles but then i saw this and it would work well with insurance and winters in michigan. but if it does run that much horse will i be worried about major problems goin worng. or i should say do u think they will happen more often?? ill let u know what happens with the phone call

Cheap, fast, and reliable... Pick two because you can never have all three.

what do you mean by picking two LOL. build both?? haha that is some cash money to throw around.

I just got done talking to the guy. he has two of everything for a 1g awd. driveshafts turbos manifolds everything. If i roll up to his house with a downpipe ill slap that on with the turbos that he has and drive that beast home. but im not leaving the house without that thing starting. i still have to sell my car but when i get an reasonable offer im goin to my my first awd turbo. im so excite... borat LOL. well what do you guys think good deal?

i would just wait for a better one, that may come ## way. Just sounds shady to me.... I dont understand, i am a builder not a mechanic. If he can build a motor he should deff be able to do mechanical work...

I agree with subie. Any time someone is vague about something, or says something like "i'm a builder not a mechanic" after putting together a motor (which obviously requires some mechanical skills) just sounds shady to me. I've dealt with a lot of guys and passed on a bunch of cars in the past years due to sellers sounding vague or as if they're clueless. This guy seems to me to be both. Besides, if he doesn't have any receipts to prove any of the work done, or explain what exactly constitues built, then don't believe it. Also, if he isn't willing to have it run for you or let you drive it around the block before sellign it to you, then he obviously has something to hide. I mean, how do you know it will even run? How do you know it doesn't have any serious problems? And if someone has essentially no mods done to a car and claims a turbo and exhaust will let you run tens then he's retarded, full of s#!+, or both. Pass on this dude, you'll find something better from someone that isn't full of it.

I don't know if i told u this but he said he cloned like one of those bushur racing motors. I emailed him saying send me all the stuff you put into the motor. Anyways i would like to know what my dsm is worth LOL. I have a 96 talon with a rebuilt title :cry: 5 speed, with 159xxx. about 70% are highway miles. NO problems shifting, new plugs, wires, air filter, struts, rims/tires(18 inch black), window tints, fairly new subwoofers(kicker 10s), a brand new class d 1600 watt excelon, rear control arms. The paint on the car looks like it was painted 2 years ago... before i got it. The rear and front bumper covers need a respray and that is about it. a blacked out talon with my carbon fiber muffler LOL.

What really kills me about founding out what my car's worth is we put a lot of time, money, and blood into these cars. When it comes down to a price most people just see it as regular car. But most of are cars are unique in some ways. :beatentodeath:

hello i am think about buying a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS automatic carit has 124,721 and cost 4000 and was wondering if it was a reliable car and if it does break down or something do mitsubishi cars cost a lot here are some pictures any helpful advise would be apreciated thank you

Attachments

• 2455852407_226442164_IM1_03_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    2455852407_226442164_IM1_03_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2455852411_226442164_IM1_07_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    2455852411_226442164_IM1_07_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2455852412_226442164_IM1_08_240x180_A_240x161.jpg
    2455852412_226442164_IM1_08_240x180_A_240x161.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2455852410_226442164_IM1_06_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    2455852410_226442164_IM1_06_240x180_A_240x160.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 76
Please use the Spell Check, proper grammar, and Dictionary.com is necessary. That makes my head ache.

Aside from all the usual things to inspect when purchasing a new vehicle, read then inspect for this. You want the compression to be between 170 and 225; the closer to 190psi the better. FP should remain between 47-50psi, with little to no change when revving.

The 95-99 Eclipse RS/GS and 95-98 Talon ES/ESi (2gnt) is an extremely reliable vehicle, if it has not been horribly abused. It is powered by the Chrysler designed 420a motor, shared with the Avenger and Sebring, and similar to the 420a found in the Neon. Repairs to the motor are generally inexpensive, relative to the 4g63 powered vehicles.

If you're just gonna go N/T at least get a GS with more options.

Mmmm..All NA cars were made by Chrysler so... yeah... if your on a budget i wouldn't suggest it. My friend dumped at least a thousand a year on his just to keep it on the road. But I guess that doesnt mean you cant get lucky ; )

Hey guys,
I'm looking at a 97 GS-T with 124k miles on it, 5 speed. It has exhaust and intake. The last time the owner changed the timing belt and water pump was at 60k miles. Still original clutch. He is asking $5500 what do you guys think?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://images.autotrader.com/images...994723.229414084.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Hey everyone, there is a gsx a school person let me know may be selling around here and will sell to me. I was wondering if you guys could help me look for certain things in the car that would point me in the right direction of taking of the price, although i believe it is a pretty good deal so far.

So far all I know is that its a 96-99 GSX. 82,000 miles for 6-7 grand. Has a few mods like euro lights (i dont like...) and other minor things i plan to ask about. Ill have a list out sooner or later.

I wanted to check it out since i just got my car totalled by a dude in a white van who didnt like saturns so much so decided to wreck mine (haha). Well just curious about what to check for. If you guys could help at all that would be awsome, thanks in advance and hope to join you guys in the dsm world soon :thumb: :thumb: :p

yep it helped, the only thing that doesnt help is now someone told me the father of the girl's gsx wants 8 grand now and i dont have it, and im not old enough to take an auto loan out of the bank...

yep it helped, the only thing that doesnt help is now someone told me the father of the girl's gsx wants 8 grand now and i dont have it, and im not old enough to take an auto loan out of the bank...

Ah, life sucks. (I can't afford one either :toobad: )

it would be ok if i was 18 for a bank loan but its not happening and i need a new car, to drive to work and such. Im looking around 300 miles away from my house and i find some pretty good deals but no one ever responds, and until i settle with insurance i dont want to call anyone.:cry:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back