The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Misfiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRock0720

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Southern, New_Hampshire
Well I started my car and it took a second to start (longer than usual) (and its about 19 degrees ouside, its winter). I let it warm up to running temperature and I drove down the road until I got till the end of my road and aproached the street, I stopped and as I pulled out my cars RPMs dropped and it ran like crap. Its the samething that happened before and we thought it was the Cat (which we just replaced the day before). But before the cars RPMs would only drop when we put it in gear (Drive), but reverse would be okay. Now, its running rough and what not in any gear (Park, Neutral, Drive, Second, First).

The car has no power what so ever, it can't handle any kind of load.

I had to get it back home, so I let it sit for a little so the car could cool (which I did before and that worked), but not this time. The car was smoking and smelt so bad (kind of like oil burning). I started it and it was running at 100 RPMs, and I would give it gas (almost all the way to the floor) and the car would only move like 2 inches. Also, when the car is running the Check Engine Light flashes (when the car is running like it was).

I noticed that it seems to misfiring very bad, the check engine light flashes when the car is running some of the time. Also, the tailpipe smells of strong gasoline.

I checked the plugs and wires and they are in perfect condition, but the plugs smell like strong Gasoline.

Here is a video that I recorded so you could get a taste of what its like.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Misfiring

Things replaced:
Spark Plugs and Wires
Cat Converter (replaced with Walker Brand Direct Fit)
Air Filter
Oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W20)
Lucas Fuel Injector Treatment (into gas tank)
Serpentine Belt

I'm a quoting maniac :p

Sounds like you got a short in a wire somewhere. The "usual" spot (with the codes and problems that you are having) is in the loom of wires that run near your egr pipe. Take a look at those wires and see if you see any that may be brittle or exposed from heat (they run right next to the EGR tube which has exhaust gases running through it. Therefore they can melt the wires).

It could also be in the plug at the coil. If there was a crossed wire there, it could easy generate multiple codes.

In addition, if you have questionable wires, by all means replace them. Poor wire connections/insulation can cause mulitple misfire codes as the wires arc out.

MB

^This. Sounds like you have a wire that is going bad. Like Bullet said check near the EGR. I had a problem like this on my Bronco, It would run fine but after in warmed up it would die. I found out that a wire was getting too hot and then it would short. There are really complicated ways to find a short or you could just check the most common areas... like the hottest places... such as next to the EGR tube.

^This. Sounds like you have a wire that is going bad. Like Bullet said check near the EGR. I had a problem like this on my Bronco, It would run fine but after in warmed up it would die. I found out that a wire was getting too hot and then it would short. There are really complicated ways to find a short or you could just check the most common areas... like the hottest places... such as next to the EGR tube.

hmm its a thought, I do have a remote starter wire going into the ignition coil wires

I heard a few of you talk about possible bad engine grounds or short in the circuit? Can you elaborate a little bit more on that?

What about something to do with the Fuel System? I was thinking of the fuel pump, when it gets down to a half of a tank (where I usually have my problems) it puts a strain on the pump possibly? How about the fuel filter or fuel pressure control valve(s)?

Check you crank sensor my car did exactly what yours did. Pull it see it the plastic is cracked or if its the newer style it will have a metal sleeve on it if that sleeve spins its junk. My car would mis fire on 1 and 4 also i replaced the sensor and problem solved. Im bettin thats your problem, sounds identicle to my problem i had.

Day 1 at Repair Shop:

Well did compression test, passed.

2 Cylinders were fouled and 2 were drenched with gasoline. Changed plugs and got it running.

According to the mechanic, after the car was running for a little the Cat was cherry red and car was smoking bad (I just replaced the Cat!!! ahh). So he is bypassing the Cat.

Thats all I got for now... :toobad:

Día 1 en el taller de reparaciones:

Bien hizo la prueba de compresión, pasó.

2 cilindros estaban sucios y 2 estaban empapados con gasolina. Cambió los enchufes y lo puso en funcionamiento.

De acuerdo con el mecánico, después de que el auto estuvo funcionando un poco, el Cat estaba rojo cereza y el auto estaba echando humo (¡¡¡Acabo de reemplazar el Cat !!! ahh). Así que está pasando por alto al gato.

Eso es todo lo que tengo por ahora ... :demasiado:
Hi, friend! After all, what was the cause of your car failure? And what was the solution? The same thing is happening to me with my 1998 gst

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back