The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well this is basically as clean as they come nowadays! Where did you find it? Facebook Marketplace? Love the black leather, factory mud guards, super well preserved red paint. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Well this is basically as clean as they come nowadays! Where did you find it? Facebook Marketplace? Love the black leather, factory mud guards, super well preserved red paint. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.
I actually purchased the car on Bring a Trailer! It wasn't cheap, but was well worth it in my opinion! It's extremely difficult to find these cars in this sort of condition anymore and I'm very happy to own an example like this.

I actually purchased the car on Bring a Trailer! It wasn't cheap, but was well worth it in my opinion! It's extremely difficult to find these cars in this sort of condition anymore and I'm very happy to own an example like this.
Oh, I thought it was maybe that one! Congrats! I think yours then the burgundy 2gb GSX that sold on Cars & Bids last year are the two highest-price (best) DSM examples I've seen. Such a good value still though IMO. I've seen a few other 2g's of the same caliber on FB Marketplace and Cars.com in recent history but no idea what they ultimately brought.

The last few weekends I've been working on fixing the oil leak the car has had since I purchased it. With the help of some UV oil dye, I was able to identify that the exhaust cam oil seal was leaking quite a bit. I figured this would be the time to install all of the OEM timing components I purchased for the car.

unnamed (1).jpg

The previous owner had a continental timing/balance shaft belt installed with what looks to be Gates pulleys. Everything was in great shape upon removal, but I wanted to install OEM components to know exactly when it was last done.

I also took the time to replace the spark plugs as I didn't know the current condition of those. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the previous owner had installed a set of E3 spark plugs. I tossed those in the trash and put in a new set of NGK BPR6ES plugs.

unnamed (2).jpg

I'm hoping to get everything else buttoned back up this weekend as the weather is finally starting to warm back up in Wisconsin! More updates to come!

For anybody familiar with Thatdudeinblue’s YouTube channel, David did a review video of my car while he was up in my neck of the woods for the day. This was a super cool experience as I’ve been watching his channel for a long long time.

For anybody familiar with Thatdudeinblue’s YouTube channel, David did a review video of my car while he was up in my neck of the woods for the day. This was a super cool experience as I’ve been watching his channel for a long long time.

I was just about to ask if this was the car LOL great video from David as always

It’s been a while since my last update, but I haven’t had anything to post about. This winter I noticed that the upper radiator hose neck on the radiator was starting to get discolored so I decided to get that replaced before it ends up breaking off and leaving me stranded somewhere.

5172D2A2-6B2F-45DE-87F8-EEAFC05D405B.jpeg

I went with the Koyo hyper-v core radiator which is about the best quality radiator I’ve dealt with. The best part is that it isn’t any thicker than the OEM radiator so it didn’t push the fans any closer towards the engine. The fit and finish was perfect and it even had holes for attaching the vacuum hoses that run along the bottom of the radiator.

4E5E0528-C337-4E4F-B265-B1284BEECC91.jpeg

5CD5A924-C7E0-4C31-B8D2-0A70AE01F3AE.jpeg

642A5AEA-898B-4A78-9A8E-669BACEC9196.jpeg

E4E9CE63-B803-41BF-8036-B8000B7A028C.jpeg

At first, I was trying to find an OEM style replacement to retain the factory look but was only able to find the automatic version. After more than 2 years of ownership, I’m over wanting to keep the car as close to stock as possible and am looking forward to adding some more power in the future.

I’ve been slowly collecting everything that I’ll need for when I go through with the engine bay restoration and some modifications and am starting to gather a pretty large stash of parts for the build. One of these days I’ll get some photos of everything I’ve collected so far.

As many people have seen, I have had the car listed for sale on Bring a Trailer. Unfortunately, I took the car out this weekend to film a driving video of the car and on deceleration, there was a nasty vibration that was coming from underneath the car. I spend a bit of time looking everything over and wasn't able to find anything obviously wrong with the car so the listing will be being canceled on their website due to the unforeseen mechanical issue. The vibration goes away with the clutch pedal pushed in so it isn't vehicle speed related but some sort of load related issue.

I picked up a 94 Rx-7 this summer as a project and have been torn on selling this car or not so maybe this is a sign that I should keep the car instead. I will spend some time this winter doing some research to diagnose what is causing this drivetrain vibration and go from there.

Carrier bearings and universal joints on the drive shaft?
I'm going to have to take a closer look at everything. Upon my initial inspection, the U-joints on the driveshaft all seemed to be in good shape with play. The carrier bearings didn't seem to have any unusual amount of play in the rubber bushing that surrounds the bearing either. It seems like the rear differential may have too much play where the driveshaft needs to move quite a bit before the rear wheels start to turn.

Well, after some debating back and forth, I decided to keep my Eclipse and I sold the Rx7 that I picked up this summer. I will spend some more time trying to diagnose the drivetrain vibration as I still haven’t found anything that seems to be out of spec.

However, I have picked up a few more parts for the car like a brand new MHI Evo 3 16g, billet door handles, and a few other misc OEM parts.

IMG_7780.jpeg

IMG_7779.jpeg

I have also been debating doing a T28 turbo instead and just leaving the car with basic bolt ons, but we’ll see what I decide to do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back