The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just when you think you're out, your right back! I sold my last GSX to purchase a C6 Corvette which I quickly became uninterested in. I sold the Corvette this summer with the intention of buying something different. And then I saw this car for sale. I've had multiple red 2GB GSX's in the past and just purchased another one! I purchased this 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX from the original owner with 91k miles on the car! The car was all stock with the exception of a Thermal R&D catback, Tein Flex Z coilovers, some ugly aftermarket wheels, and a few small pieces on the interior. Overall, the car is in fantastic shape for the age! Here are a few pictures!
unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (8).jpg

I plan to keep the car mostly stock, but I will be doing a few bolt-ons along with a set of wheels for this coming spring. As for now, the car is being stored for the winter where I'll work on a few small things that I'd like to fix on the car. I purchased a brand new Apexi N1 catback to replace the Thermal R&D exhaust as it is my favorite exhaust for these cars. I also purchased an all black leather shift boot to replace the black with red stitching shift boot that the previous owner installed.

unnamed (7).jpg

More updates to come as parts come in!

I haven’t done a whole lot over winter as the car as parked and I accumulated some parts. I ended up installing the Apexi N1 exhaust with a Megan Racing downpipe in the middle of winter on one of the warmer days. My wife also picked up the Evo 8 recently as well!

F26B106D-40D0-40C3-8558-AF4BB24B7EE4.jpeg

This past weekend we finally had some warmer weather so I pulled the car outside and got some more work done to it!

I started with some shifter components. I found a used B&M short throw shifter, Energy suspension shifter base bushings, DSM 3D creations shift selector bushing, along with some OEM replacements.

F23CA8B7-7CF0-4E4A-B115-CE5D82C696F9.jpeg

While I was in there I installed a brand new OEM shift knob and replaced the red-stitched shift boot. I forgot to mention, I also picked up a set of OEM floor mats a while back as well!

EE64892C-419C-41BA-9C04-05EF982FE341.jpeg

I figured I would take one last picture of the stock engine bay before I did a few basic bolt on modifications.

E90F2657-989B-4291-B030-DF98C102E66B.jpeg

I found a great deal on an Evo 9 bov from a member on the forum that I installed to replace the plastic BOV. Also installed an Injen intake for some added turbo noises!

763325D5-2E63-4445-978E-3D9995EA7991.jpeg

That is about it for updates from the winter up to present day! I do have a set of wheels ordered for the car that should be here sometime in April! I cannot wait to get rid of the ugly wheels that are currently on the car.

As far as future plans go, I haven’t quite decided yet. As much as I’d love to leave this car as close to stock as possible, that just isn’t why I like these cars. I think it will end up receiving some more mods next winter and I’ll most likely do a full engine bay restoration. Painting the engine bay along with restoring the worn/corroded parts would be ideal as it looks like the most aged portion of the car.

More updates to come!

I finally received the wheels that I purchased back in November! I ended up going with a set of Gram Lights 57dr 18x8.5 +37 with Nitto NT555G2 tires 245/40/18. They fit the car great and look fantastic! I will be lowering the car just slightly as it looks a little monster truck-ish in person yet. I just want to avoid any sort of rubbing so I won't be lowering the car too much more. Here are a few pictures as it sits now!

unnamed (16).jpg
unnamed (18).jpg
wheels1.jpg

unnamed (15).jpg

Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I'll be driving the car more often! I'm starting to collect parts for some future upgrades such as ECMLink V3, however, I haven't quite decided how far I want to go with the car. I've had an evo 3 16g on my previous car but I only found that setup to be fun on E85. I also had an FP3052 setup which I loved, however, this turbo setup is nearly impossible to find. I've been looking into the FP green as well.

That is all for the updates as of now!

I finally received the wheels that I purchased back in November! I ended up going with a set of Gram Lights 57dr 18x8.5 +37 with Nitto NT555G2 tires 245/40/18. They fit the car great and look fantastic! I will be lowering the car just slightly as it looks a little monster truck-ish in person yet. I just want to avoid any sort of rubbing so I won't be lowering the car too much more. Here are a few pictures as it sits now!

View attachment 627240View attachment 627241View attachment 627242
View attachment 627239

Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I'll be driving the car more often! I'm starting to collect parts for some future upgrades such as ECMLink V3, however, I haven't quite decided how far I want to go with the car. I've had an evo 3 16g on my previous car but I only found that setup to be fun on E85. I also had an FP3052 setup which I loved, however, this turbo setup is nearly impossible to find. I've been looking into the FP green as well.

Very nice GSX! black wheels look a lot better on red!

I haven't done a whole lot with the car recently aside from lowering it roughly 3/4" of an inch. With where the car sits now, there is zero rubbing with the new wheel and tire setup so I'm incredibly happy with the result!

Some friends, my wife, and myself went to Wisconsin Dells this past weekend for an event called Automotion. It ends up turning into a townwide cruise event focused around a classic car show. This is always a great time and I found a few photos that others took of our vehicles!
View attachment 630285
View attachment 630286
View attachment 630284
View attachment 630283
View attachment 630287
View attachment 630288

Overall, my car and my wife's Evo 8 got a ton of love and we had a great weekend doing car things! I don't have too many other modification plans for the car quite yet, however, I've been slowly collecting parts such as ECMLink V3 and a Punishment Racing (CX Racing) intercooler kit. I've been on the lookout for a set of RM DSM sway bars as well.

I was finally able to find a set of RMDSM sway bars from someone here on the forum. I only installed the rear sway bar after reading that most people noticed oversteer still after installing both sway bars. The rear of the car does feel a bit stiffer after installing the rear sway bar!

swaybar1.jpg

The next day some friends and I went to a small cars and coffee event at Throttlestop in Elkhart Lake, WI. I didn't get any photos of any other cars there, but I got a few of mine. If anybody is local to that area, I'd definitely recommend checking it out!

throttlestop3.jpg
throttlestop2.jpg

Also, Fitment Industries did a video on my car this past week if anybody cares to give it a watch!

As far as future plans for the car, I'm not quite sure the direction I want to go quite yet. I'm enjoying driving the car around the way that it is, but the stock T25 turbo leaves a lot to be desired. The car has a small oil leak that I'm having trouble diagnosing so I may end up pulling the engine and transmission out to refresh all of the gaskets and seals. This would give me a great opportunity to really clean everything in the engine bay after 22 years of driving.

View attachment 627240View attachment 627241View attachment 627242
View attachment 627239

if you ever wanna sell it let me know im sure we can work something out

Absolutely gorgeous and clean 2G.
Also nice score on the punishment kit. There’s so much new turbo technology I wouldn’t even know where to begin to replace or replicate an FP3052 but surely there’s something comparable out there that’s new.

Good luck man and clean car!

Love the car! I picked up a 2GA Talon recently for parts that was also red and contemplated swapping my drivetrain over but seeing as the frame rails and strut towers weren’t as clean I just couldn’t do it 😢

Love your car my friend. I can't justify those wheels, but I think I'm gonna get the Avid look-alikes now just based on how awesome those look! Keep up the good work. This thread's been motivating!

amazing clean car! please keep it as original as possible to preserve such a nice example!!!! best red one i have seen in a long time! my red was great for the age of it so they really hold the color very well if looked after

Thank you all for the compliments! I definitely do want to keep the car more of an OEM+ setup in terms of modifications and whatnot. As much as I'd love to keep the car 100% stock, I just don't have much interest in doing so. I want the car to have a bit more power than stock, but nothing crazy. I will be doing a full engine bay restoration at some point (re-zinc plated OEM hardware, engine bay paint, etc). It's a 22-year-old car that doesn't have crazy low miles so it could use some love to match the rest of the car's condition. I'll be keeping cruise control, ac, balance shafts, etc as well.

Being that it is getting below freezing at night up in Wisconsin, I decided to get the car cleaned up and put away before winter. I stopped to snap a couple of photos before the car goes into hibernation.

1635802106799.png

IMG_6501.jpeg

IMG_6503.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6502.jpeg

I'm a bit torn on exactly what my plans are for the car during the winter as I would like to do a complete engine bay restoration, I'm just not sure funds will allow me to complete that project by spring time. More updates to come!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I haven't had any updates on the car so far this winter. I have had a little bit of an oil leak that I was finally able to track down to the cam seal on the exhaust camshaft. I just placed an order with ExtremePSI for the cam seals as well as new fluids for all of the drivetrain. More updates to come within the next few weeks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back