The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1999 Eclipse RS --> GS Project

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
I took the car out recently and snapped a few photos, just playing around, and it died on me again. This time the check engine light came on and the fault suggests the camshaft position sensor is going bad. This could explain the issues I've been having with the car, but it's also possible there are bigger issues at play.

Given the immense amount of maintenance I have in front of me, and the huge cost that goes along with it, I decided to schedule an appointment and replace that sensor ahead of the engine repairs. I'm also going to scratch a few more things off the to-do list that are unrelated to those planned repairs as well.

All I am trying to do now is just keep the car running. While I barely drive it, I do run it regularly to keep the fluids moving, the A/C cycling and the battery charged.

In time, I'd like this to be one of the best maintained and cleanest N/T's out there. But there is a ton of work to do before I can drive into that ballpark. 😅

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
I took possession of my Eclipse two years ago today, and wow those years went by fast! 😀 I haven't made a ton of progress on the car yet, or put many miles on the odometer, but I'm very much enjoying the journey anyway. 🙂 I've written some articles on this site, met some really cool people here, and am happy to own an Eclipse and be a part of this community.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
Just got back from the auto recycler with this gem!

It's the floor bracket for the 50/50 split back rear seat!

I tried to find a new one without any luck, and although this project is way down the to-do list, it's one less hard-to-find part to track down now for my GS conversion.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty geeked about this. 😁

Last edited:

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
It's a great day!!! I finally decided to buy a set of rims. I went with the 16" silver OEM 97-99 Eclipse GS rims, and am going to be wrapping them in Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, because, as far as I have been able to tell, that was the stock tire. Awesome that they still make them, and they are pretty reasonably priced too. :)

Did I mention this is a stock build, and that little details are my favorite? 😅

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
It was a big day today! A new NTK camshaft and crankshaft sensor has the car running much better! I didn't feel like it was going to stall out at the stop lights, which was pretty awesome! 👍

I also have a new set of windshield wiper arms, a new outer windshield cowling clip (mine was broken), a new battery (of the correct size), a restored battery hold down bracket, the correct OEM battery cover, and a new set of rims and tires!!!

The rims were from HH Auto Wheel & Trim. The center caps were new old stock, and as far as I can tell, the restored rims are an exact match. They look brand new!

Before:

After:

Unfortunately I had to drive the car in the rain for the first time... It wasn't supposed to rain, but of course it did... Oh well, what can you do? 😕

I'm loving the new look! I can hardly wait to get past the maintenance and get the interior and exterior finished up!

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
The car is in storage, and has been for about a month. I forgot to update my build thread to mention that. Oops. 😆 I've been focusing my attention on trying to find a new job since I lost mine at around the same time though. 😟

Anyway, I added 89 miles to the odometer this year, for a grand total of 96,872. I have driven this car 257 miles since I purchased it in the summer of 2019. What can I say? I love to drive. 🤷‍♂️😆

Widgmaster

Supporting VIP
Aug 24, 2018
Sarnia, ON_Canada
Gary.... I am not a single man anymore... A Christian lady from my past.... out of the blue she called... said for some reason she was thinking of me.. We know how that happened. The power of prayer... Any ways. I am taking her out to dinner at her favourite food bag joint... It's called The Leakey Tank... It's a gas bar dinner out on the highway... We used to attend church together and after all the questions of marriage I got cold feet … Covid hit and we have not spoken since… All is good... She knows I just want a friend, and she has agreed to that...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds