The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 1999 Eclipse Gs Auto Trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mason

Proven Member
Apr 29, 2017
Covington, Kentucky
Pretend for a second, you have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs with a auto trans. Now pretend that 8-10 times you start it, or more, it doesn’t shift gears. When not shifting your limited to about 55 mph at high rpms. When it does shift, it does so smooth and never stops until you turn the car off. When it shifts it shifts, when it doesn’t, it never starts shifting while driving. It’s either on or off... where do you start?

personally, i would start by pulling out the auto tranny and getting rid of it. a 420a with an automatic transmission is so NOT fun to drive, just thinking about makes me wanna walk out into traffic.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:tease:

The valve body/solenoid pack on those transmissions go bad frequently just as your describing, they are fortunately replaced from outside the transmission easily, maybe grab a junkyard one from a clean crashed vehicle and try it out.

personally, i would start by pulling out the auto tranny and getting rid of it. a 420a with an automatic transmission is so NOT fun to drive, just thinking about makes me wanna walk out into traffic.

I feel like this every time I see an auto transmission

The valve body/solenoid pack on those transmissions go bad frequently just as your describing, they are fortunately replaced from outside the transmission easily, maybe grab a junkyard one from a clean crashed vehicle and try it out.
Thanks motto for having the only helpful mature response. Unfortunately a trans swap isn’t in my budget or realistic abilities considering I have 4 kids and work as much as I do. If I had that option I would just be in the gsx tuned out that I’d like to be in. I actually have a rs also so maybe said solenoid can be switched out, if I can find it, and I’ll see what happens. Appreciate the help that some of us count on in these forums though motto.

"Pretend for a second, you have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs with a auto trans. Now pretend that"

sorry but you should expect that kinda response when you say to pretend.

Could I do that easily for maintenance?
I'm just want a reliable daily for high school Its a 97 Rs Automatic

SHhhhh..boy keep it down.. My little girl heard you and now she's afraid something bad is going to happen to her I had to give her a sip of
and turn up the heat a bit to get her back to storage,,

SHhhhh..boy keep it down.. My little girl heard you and now she's afraid something bad is going to happen to her I had to give her a sip of
and turn up the heat a bit to get her back to storage,,

damn, you know what i just thought of.
those 3g transmissions have a shitty wave ring that breaks apart and grenades the trans.
i had to have the pump replaced after installing the engine with the torque converter not snapped in all the way. I had the wave ring replaced with the redesigned one at the same time.
The guy that did the work gave me the old one. It was in pieces.

this is the part number for the upgraded one that they started using on the 2006 model.

and i think i already told you, the auto tensioner for the timing belt is crap on the 3.0L engine. If you start the car and hear a tapping noise for a second or two, that means its failing.
mitsubishi has a revised one.
the part number for that is
1145a062

Could I do that easily for maintenance?
I'm just want a reliable daily for high school Its a 97 Rs Automatic
You COULD but I dont know that you NEED to necessarily, although been that I'm ocd about stuff, I would probably have one on hand ready to go and then install it on a nice summer day when I am bored.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back