The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1999 Eclipse Evo Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Take a look at his youtube series going on for updates
I do, but its nice to have it in the forums for discussions. I hate commenting on social media about projects/builds.

Talk about a nice build. Looks like its pretty straight forward as well. If I was going to do it though I would probably do it with a 4g just because they are easier to find now and they dont look too far removed from the Eclipse family. I dont know if it would be any easier than just moving a transmission mounting point though.

Awesome looking build though. Makes me want to work on mine some more.

5372FFB6-18ED-4D6E-B00A-04D086A2B40E.jpeg

8504EA22-79BD-47EA-BE61-32FA36DA97C9.jpeg
CD32508B-B95F-4066-8A99-BA3E5C5097A3.jpeg
8BD08353-8976-430F-81CC-0FA3B91CD1DF.jpeg
06769C6A-EBA4-4FE9-88E5-8CB4FD2FCD42.jpeg
5B9A6D38-C97E-4A31-966D-AC5F9B7057AB.jpeg
1DCBA00F-008C-4C68-BC65-4705E0B4A9F3.jpeg
Hey guys sorry I haven’t been updating the build thread. I forgot the login password LOL

Anyways, we’ve made huge progress on the AWD Evo swap and I have been documenting everything on YouTube.

I’ll post some general updates here but everything is done in detail and “person” in the videos.

We have since then
- SHAVED & PAINTED ENGINE BAY
- INSTALLED MOTOR & EVO TRANS W/ TRANSFER CASE
- CUT SUBFRAME TO FIT TRANSFER CASE
- INSTALLED COMPETITION STAGE 3 CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL
- REINFORCED FRONT SUBFRAME
- INSTALLED SUBFRAME
- INSTALLED 3G ECLIPSE SHIFTER BASE AND LINKAGES
- SWAPPED WHEELS WITH EVO TEMPORARILY (ENKEI NT03)

I also just bought some evo 6 axles as the evo 8 ones do not fit the dsm wheel bearing with a 25 spline count vs the 32 on the 8/9

We had to run a 3g eclipse shifter base and linkages as the stock ones do not suffice with the new evo trans.

I also got a custom made harness made for the car to wire tuck real soon!

We test fit both a gsx drive shaft and evo 8 drive shaft and both didn’t fit. They are too long and we will be cutting the gsx one at a drive shaft shop with the appropriate attachment up front to fit the evo transfer case.

Anyways, here’s the most recent video on my YouTube channel. (Miguel Dsm) Cheers!

Last edited:
You might be able to swap the ends of the CV axles to get them to work(Eclipse outer splines on the Evo axle)

this build keeps getting better and better, I always though this was a cool idea for owners of clean 420a cars, especially people that are attached to them, as time goes on they can eventually as they can afford it, or as they can collect all the parts can in the meantime drive around in a basic car that gets decent mileage,that is what I loved about the CSM's and it's the same with the 420 2g cars.
keep at it Miguel and thanks for sharing the progress with the DSM community.

this build keeps getting better and better, I always though this was a cool idea for owners of clean 420a cars, especially people that are attached to them, as time goes on they can eventually as they can afford it, or as they can collect all the parts can in the meantime drive around in a basic car that gets decent mileage,that is what I loved about the CSM's and it's the same with the 420 2g cars.
keep at it Miguel and thanks for sharing the progress with the DSM community.

Just FWD alone will entice most people to do it, and having the option to choose an Evo 4g63 or Hyundia 2.4 G4JS, possibilies are endless.

ED330D74-2713-44C4-9596-DF4E75FBCA3E.jpeg
4535EA93-1A90-4A1C-87E4-7258B8E1241A.jpeg

And just like that she’s back in business! We managed to have it back and running on the streets as the worlds first AWD evo swapped dsm! We used nothing but evo & gsx parts for the swap (no legnum/galant parts)

I apologize in advance as the build thread is not detailed on how to do it. I’ve been uploading everything on YouTube for documentation and for the visual learners. I’ll include the latest video down below where it runs on its own for the first time!

I’ll be making a full In depth video on how to do the swap with a full check list for all the future evo swapped dsms!

if you would like to see more of the car I’m always posting it on Instagram and YouTube @Miguel_Dsm

I want to give a huge thanks to anyone that gave some helpful advice and helped with the build!

So you sold the car now? And i read you was using 3G clutch bit or something so now thats all gone and 100% DSM/EVO only items, thats mega awesome man.

You must be on some stiff suspension being that low and near the fenders.

So you sold the car now? And i read you was using 3G clutch bit or something so now thats all gone and 100% DSM/EVO only items, thats mega awesome man.

You must be on some stiff suspension being that low and near the fenders.

No the thumbnail was made since we relocated the car to another place. I can’t see myself parting ways with it after 8 years of owning it and working on it haha.

And correct. It’s now on an evo clutch and flywheel. As far as coilovers, it’s on the Megan racing EZ streets. I love them! Much better than the Tein coilovers on my evo.

No the thumbnail was made since we relocated the car to another place. I can’t see myself parting ways with it after 8 years of owning it and working on it haha.

And correct. It’s now on an evo clutch and flywheel. As far as coilovers, it’s on the Megan racing EZ streets. I love them! Much better than the Tein coilovers on my evo.
Phew i was gonna say if you sold it after all this then my gosh you got some guts!!! I would have a very hard time to do that if i built it like you did as you have done a fantastic job dude.

I bet you got no travel in those the way you got them shocks setup LOL. Very close to the fender and stiff as heck

I've been following your progress on YouTube, yours is one of 4 channels I actually get push notifications for. I watched the whole video as soon as it popped up on my phone last night. It's truly inspiring to see the dedication and camaraderie you and your buddies share. And this car is pretty awesome too!

ss11.JPG
ss15.JPG
ss27.JPG
ss28.JPG
ss32.JPG
ss4.JPG
ss6.JPG
ss22.JPG
Hey guys!

A lot has happened with the DSM since it’s been running! It was featured on Super Street Magazine on June 2020! Unfortunately it blew a head gasket due to failing fans and over heating..

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/dsm-mitsubishi-eclipse-evo-awd-swap

It has been back up and running since then & getting close to it’s E85 tune day on an AEM stand alone ecu, in hopes to break the 400WHP mark on the stock Evo 9 turbo.

It’s been such a fun build thus far!
I’ll link the super street feature video below for you guys to check out

Last edited:
View attachment 607418 View attachment 607419 View attachment 607421 View attachment 607422 View attachment 607423 View attachment 607426 View attachment 607427 View attachment 607428 Hey guys!

A lot has happened with the DSM since it’s been running! It was featured on Super Street Magazine on June 2020! Unfortunately it blew a head gasket due to failing fans and over heating..

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/dsm-mitsubishi-eclipse-evo-awd-swap

It has been back up and running since then & getting close to it’s E85 tune day on an AEM stand alone ecu, in hopes to break the 400WHP mark on the stock Evo 9 turbo.

It’s been such a fun build thus far!
I’ll link the super street feature video below for you guys to check out

Congrats on that feature, and on enjoying the build so much. It's too bad they didn't toss out a mention/link to the forum in their article, but that's common with magazines. Maybe you can send them a note and ask if they can add a link to your build thread here on the site?

Thanks for keeping this thread updated ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back