The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1999 Eclipse Evo Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5772.JPG
dsm2 .jpg
Hey guys. I've had my Dsm since early 2012, but never really posted on this forum. Since then, I have slowly been progressing on the car overall. It originally started as a 99 N/T OZ Rally Special Edition and is now in the process of an Evo 8 motor swap.

Car is currently on Coilovers with Rays Gramlight wheels, Brembo brakes, aesthetic add ons and some miscellaneous parts here and there. I sadly lost the pictures to when i originally started the motor swap, but I will continuously update this build thread with info on this specific swap, since there seems to be almost nothing available for us 2g guys.

Feel free to check out the Dsm on Youtube and Instagram! @Miguel_Dsm

https://www.youtube.com/c/MiguelDsm

https://www.instagram.com/miguel_dsm/?hl=en

Last edited:
where do i find them on there site? Or do i need to contact them?
They both have websites.

UPDATE: Due to the lack of info on this specific swap on 2gs, I have to go trough a trial and error process to see what works and what doesn't.

A bunch of Dsmers came over and helped me progress on the swap. Since I'll be running a 3G transmission for now, I had to decide what other parts I'll require in order to make them work with the Evo 8 long block. I decided to purchase a 3G Clutch Masters Fx 400 clutch and 2g Gst flywheel (DOES NOT WORK) since the guys at Clutch Masters told me this setup would work.

We mocked up the 3G transmission first to get an idea on how it would sit and we noticed that we actually needed to modify the mount and move it forward by around 6" for it to align properly. The front and rear 420a mounts seem to fit thus far. The battery will also need to be relocated.
image1.JPG

We decided the best option would be to attach the motor and trans for easier placement in the engine bay so we removed the motor off the stand and mocked it up to the cherry picker.
image2.JPG

We started installing the the clutch and flywheel only to notice that the Evo 8 flywheel bolts i had purchased were too short for the 2g Gst flywheel, so we drove 60 miles to grab some 2g Dsm flywheel bolts another Dsmer had laying around. Once we got back the flywheel and clutch were installed with no other issues.
image4.JPG

Right before we were going to attach the transmission, we test fit the 3g starter to make sure everything fit properly. As you can see, it didn't work out too well. Thats when we found that a 2g Gst flywheel would NOT work and i would have to replace it with a 3g flywheel instead. I was originally going to run the 3g complete setup, but i don't know why the guys at Clutch Masters advised me to run it with the Gst flywheel. I will be contacting them to exchange them to keep the swap moving forward.
image3.JPG

Last edited:
Follow the club 3G guys, I'm sure this swaps been done before. Lots of them do Evo head swaps.

Those side skirts are actually made for the Subaru STI that is what you would have to look under! Op left that part out by mistake.

Although they are similar in style, mine are made in Carbon Fiber. Ive seen a couple Dsms run the plastic subaru ones in person, and they look cheap imo.

Follow the club 3G guys, I'm sure this swaps been done before. Lots of them do Evo head swaps.

I am basing most of my knowledge off the 3g guys, hence the 3g transmission. The one guy that had previously swapped his 2g, does not like giving information on this swap, but ill make sure i post the How To on here for anyone else looking to do this in the future!

Are you trying to use the factory evo starter or a 2g dsm starter since it has a 2g flywheel

I am using a 3g starter. If i were to try a 2g starter with a 3g transmission, i might run into fitment issues. I rather exchange the 2g flywheel for a 3g one and have everything fit accordingly.

Those side skirts are actually made for the Subaru STI that is what you would have to look under! Op left that part out by mistake.
Although they are similar in style, mine are made in Carbon Fiber. Ive seen a couple Dsms run the plastic subaru ones in person, and they look cheap imo.
They have carbon fiber ones for the Sti also no? Or just get the black plastic ones wrapped

Last edited:
As far as 3G guys go, I was looking to do an EvoLander swap back then. The blocks Mount the same to the Trans between g64 and g63 so I see no issues with you using the same 3G clutch and flywheel setup. I have no idea why'd they'd tell you to run a 2g with 3G Trans and a Evo motor LOL. Starter I'd assume you'd have to use a 3G.

As far as 3G guys go, I was looking to do an EvoLander swap back then. The blocks Mount the same to the Trans between g64 and g63 so I see no issues with you using the same 3G clutch and flywheel setup. I have no idea why'd they'd tell you to run a 2g with 3G Trans and a Evo motor LOL. Starter I'd assume you'd have to use a 3G.

Thats what i originally thought too. I decided to trust a reputable company and listen to their advise. :banghead: Ill be contacting them tomorrow for an exchange.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back