The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1998 Spyder GS blinker issue...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdalvarez117

Supporting Member
Apr 6, 2019
Corpus Christi, Texas
Alright guys, I need a bit of help.

So, I recently got my hands on a 1998 Eclipse Spyder GS, and I've gone through at least 20 10a fuses for the turn signals in the past two months. Seriously, you should see my passenger floor board. It happens randomly. I could drive with one fuse for two days, or blow three in one day, rain or shine, dry or wet.

One of the firsts things I did was check the plugs all the way around. I found the front right plug had a terminal pushed out,so I rewired another plug in.

Unfortunately, this did not solve my issue, and I'm not really sure where to go from here, other than going through the entire harness from the fuse box to the plug ends.

Have any of you guys had this issue? It's been driving me up the wall.

Attachments

• 20200427_170822.jpg
    20200427_170822.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Alright, so I checked all of the bulbs and sockets and didn't find any corrosion that couldn't be wiped off with my finger, but I did find two bulbs with flattened contacts on the driver side.

Attachments

• 20200427_180355.jpg
    20200427_180355.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • 20200427_180428.jpg
    20200427_180428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Did you look at the wiring diagrams? Have you do e anything to the car lately prior to this? I mean ANYthing

Did you look at the wiring diagrams? Have you do e anything to the car lately prior to this? I mean ANYthing

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
One thing not to overlook is the blinker stalk on the steering column. They go bad sometimes too. I've personally had to replace at least 3 on the 8 DSMs I've owned. Simple to do if needed. Do you know if there is or was ever an aftermarket alarm installed? They can cause issues of all sorts if not installed/removed properly.

I haven't done anything but replace the shifter with a short throw after discovering one of the previous owners just hacked the stock shifter in half, ground down the shaft some and epoxied a shift knob to it.

It was doing this the day I bought it. Before that, it had aftermarket fog lights installed, a random ass toggle switch wired in to turn them on.(which didn't. It just turned on the headlights for some reason.) Anything with a boot or bushing in the front end had been replaced. Which I oversaw while waiting to buy it.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
One thing not to overlook is the blinker stalk on the steering column. They go bad sometimes too. I've personally had to replace at least 3 on the 8 DSMs I've owned. Simple to do if needed. Do you know if there is or was ever an aftermarket alarm installed? They can cause issues of all sorts if not installed/removed properly.

I believe it does have an aftermarket alarm in it. Not sure, but there's a little black box with a led zip tied in under the dash. And I havent messed with the blinker stock yet.

Also there's this little toggle switch that was mounted to the trim underneath the fuse box that I have not a clue what it is for.

Also also, I have an update. It seems the fuse only ever pops when I have the right hand blinkers on. I've not had it pop with the left hand blinkers on that I recall.

I haven't done anything but replace the shifter with a short throw after discovering one of the previous owners just hacked the stock shifter in half, ground down the shaft some and epoxied a shift knob to it.

It was doing this the day I bought it. Before that, it had aftermarket fog lights installed, a random ass toggle switch wired in to turn them on.(which didn't. It just turned on the headlights for some reason.) Anything with a boot or bushing in the front end had been replaced. Which I oversaw while waiting to buy it.

I believe it does have an aftermarket alarm in it. Not sure, but there's a little black box with a led zip tied in under the dash. And I havent messed with the blinker stock yet.

Also there's this little toggle switch that was mounted to the trim underneath the fuse box that I have not a clue what it is for.

Also also, I have an update. It seems the fuse only ever pops when I have the right hand blinkers on. I've not had it pop with the left hand blinkers on that I recall.
I would start there. Remove the socket, turn on the blinker and wiggle around. Might find a short easy that way. Alarm is a big suspect too.

Here's where I am so far.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Got the alarm system harness out..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now I'm working on rewiring the ignition back to where it should be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back