The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T 5 speed transmission clunking/clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauce Dog

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2017
Kokomo, Indiana
I recently purchased a '98 Spyder GS-T and I've already gone over it and done some basic mechanical upgrades. Now, I'm a young guy just getting into cars but I figured, "What better way to get into cars, than hands on experience?". I have replaced the rotors and pads in the rear with ceramic pads, and I also went ahead and put in new wheel hubs and bearings as well. While I had the car on the lift (not mine), I noticed that the sway bar links in the front were missing on the driver's side! After getting those on, I saw that the boot on the CV axle was torn.

So, that brings me to my problem.

I thought it may be a CV axle, but the following problem doesn't happen when i have my foot on the clutch; whenever the car is in gear and I'm driving, there is a rapid "clunk" or a "click" coming from underneath the car on the driver's side. I thought it may be a CV axle because the boot was torn on that side, but there is no slop or play in the CV axle. Also, the fact that the problem only seems to happen when I'm in gear leads me to think it's transmission.

I'm in over my head.

My question; is the transmission f***ed? Can I do anything to confirm it's the transmission? How do I figure out what transmission my car has? Is it hard to swap with low end tools, and can it be fixed relatively cheaply?

I love the car and want to see her restored to the pretty japanese girl she once was. I just don't know where to start.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sounds like CV axle when load is applied it can make that noise when bad (I just replaced 2 disasters, wow). Mine would rapid click on turns and acceleration. There’s no point in putting a new boot. Any damage is done already since it’s been exposed. Get a new unit and keep rolling.:cool:

Firstly I'd like to say thank you both for the support! I didn't think I'd get an answer for a couple days or so. It does seem to be during acceleration and turning, as it doesn't happen on the highway. Since it's so snowy out and the tires that were on the car when I traded for it were bald as heck, it's a bit of a challenge for me to get it out and drive it to answer your questions. I think I will just swap the CV axle and pray to sweet baby Jesus that it does fix my problem. You have filled me with hope, and determination. Thanks!

Your instincts were right, replace the unit. Nice car btw I’ve always been a fan of that interior
I was right about it being the CV axle? Sorry, I misunderstood your answer.

Also thank you! It's my first "car" but not my first vehicle. It seemed like a perfect starter car to get into the car scene. I like the interior on it too, it's surprisingly comfortable even for a big guy. It needs love but it's my first project so that's what I intend on putting into it :D

Check the cross member mount as well. There are 2 bolts that mount onto the trans, I had a bolt missing and mine would clunk quite a bit when stopping and going.

update guys - i went ahead and tested her today to see if it was her CV axles or tranny. it's definitely not CV axles because i can turn the tightest i can with the clutch in and no click sound. any time i put the clutch in, the sound immediately ceases. what could it be? is it hard to rebuild a 5 speed on the eclipse spyder?

Correct I was saying your first instinct in thinking the axle was the source of the noise was the right one. Still sounds like you were right to think it was the axle with the information you added.

Yeah, stills seems like axle. It has a torn boot like stated earlier. Just replace and be done with it. No point in beating around the bush but if it doesn't fix it at least there's one part you can worry less about. Try and find a junk yard axle for tests and if it's good, get a new one.

I'm not sure what "I pushed the clutch in and turned the wheel and no noise" means? I just had the exact symptoms as I replaced BOTH my fronts 3 months ago. Mine would click going straight, slight turns/hard turns/accelerating and any little bumps made them click (clutch doesn't have to be pushed in). I replaced them and 100% better. None of those issues at all left over.

lastly...."pushed the clutch in and the noise didn't click" <- is the sound more of a rattle metal sound? If so, and its eliminated when the clutch is pressed could be a worn Throw Out Bearing.

hey guys sorry i'm incompetent when it comes to things like this, i'm just now getting into cars and such, but... i made this video. skip to 3:10 and you can hear it pretty clear. as soon as i push the clutch in this noise ceases. i'm not sure what else information i may be able to provide but i think i'll start by swapping that CV axle with the torn boot anyways because it needs swapped. thank you again for your time!

I would still do axle for peace of mind. But I thought I heard it, like a clanking sound? Did that just start? Possibly something with the pressure plate/disc-springs, hows the shifting. Hard to work on the car in that weather!

Have a friend help and push in the clutch and go towards the tranny side and see if you can hear the noise, if so have the helper press the clutch in and see if it ceases. I had a release bearing make noise and rattle then a little more and finally exploded! :hellyeah:

There is no need in creating multiple posts to be honest but.... have you inspected the axles yet? Are you having any problem with any gears popping in and out? does it only happen when you are turning? If it only happens when you are pressing the clutch then it might be something in the transmission.

i'm gonna replace the axle first. but my buddy heard it and said it could be tranny mount? if the axle doesn't fix it i'll go there next. sorry for the multiple posts i'm just worried about my car

You found a problem. Unless there were a good reason to suspect something further fix that problem and quit stressing so much. If that doesn't fix it then we can discuss. At least what you did find is relatively asy and cheap.

Check the cross member mount as well. There are 2 bolts that mount onto the trans, I had a bolt missing and mine would clunk quite a bit when stopping and going.

i'm gonna replace the axle first. but my buddy heard it and said it could be tranny mount? if the axle doesn't fix it i'll go there next. sorry for the multiple posts i'm just worried about my car

thanks for the support everyone. i'm just waiting till i have access to a garage one of these weekends and i'll check the tranny mount and cross member mounts as well when i replace the axle. i'll be sure to keep you guys updated on the car!

I haven't taken it apart yet. I just decided to park it and wait to AWD swap it after I get married in April. The car can't move at all. It randomly decides when it wants to go into gear, whether it's off or on. It can't stay running without the clutch pushed in either. It also didn't want to roll at first. The tow truck broke something metal sounding loose when it pulled the car onto the flatbed. It's pretty rekt.

solved.... got the car jacked up and the crossmember was just dangling loose at the back, and any time i would put torque on the transmission it would cause it to bang up against the subframe. they bolts were stripped and we had to tap a new thread. now onto the misfire... and why it won't go into gear...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back