The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse (RWD LS Swap)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am definitely following your build. As an engineer, I always appreciate when people think outside the box and push the envelope. Really interested to see what you guys do with the front end though as I completely agree with Bobby. Keep the updates coming!

[12-30-2020]

We fabricated up some strut spacers today, anyone need a lift kit for a 2G 1995-1999 Eclipse? No one? OK, perfect.

12-30-2020 (1).JPG 12-30-2020 (2).JPG 12-30-2020 (3).JPG 12-30-2020 (4).JPG 12-30-2020 (5).JPG 12-30-2020 (6).JPG

If those spacers are staying i really hope he is finding a way to make the lower arm and compression arm mounting points higher. Its going to throw off the front to rear balance off completely as the intersecting paths F-R front be the same.
What i would of done is have someone make a custom frame that goes around the setup once in but keeps the stock mounting points in the right place so you dont mess with how the roll centers are etc. Normally we like to raise the points not lower them

I do sound worried but my dad is an excellent engineer and fabricator. He keeps telling me, "Stop worrying, I have a plan"

I am definitely following your build. As an engineer, I always appreciate when people think outside the box and push the envelope. Really interested to see what you guys do with the front end though as I completely agree with Bobby. Keep the updates coming!

Thank you! Some people might not like the idea behind our build but we are trying to go a different direction than what others might think we should do and I'm ok with that.

Also I am no longer posting any updates on the build other than here on the DSMTuners.com build page and also my personal Facebook page if anyone wants to follow it.

https://www.facebook.com/mitzu.garage

[1-9-2021]

Currently got the engine dropped in temporary. We almost have the front suspension all complete. We are still waiting on some parts to come in the mail to finish up all that. Coming together for sure!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.JPG 4.jpg

[1-17-2021]

If anyone knows me personally, it should be not surprise on the interior choice I chose for the LS Eclipse. I acquired some OEM 99 Eclipse black leather seats along with door panels and black seat belts. I'm trying to keep the OEM look with a little bit of muscle car flare to the car. After an hour or two of cleaning them up in my garage, they turned out pretty good! The drivers seat does need some attention with a tear on the bottom cushion but it shouldn't be to hard to get that fixed later.

As for the rest of the car, we are still working on the steering rack and suspension but hopefully the car should be on the ground next weekend. I don't want to jump the gun on posting pictures until it's on the ground.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 85
Glad it is coming along, hope you have pictures of steering and suspension soon.

I do, I do. Just don't want to celebrate just yet. Still waiting on a few more things to show up.

[1-23-2021]

Lots to post about today. Even though I am still waiting on parts to get the car on the ground, I wanted to share what we have been up to.

First my dad fabricated a frame to house the steering rack and yes we moved the steering to the front of the car. Seems to be no other way around it and we were aware of that using the factory engine cradle modifying it.

We started to clean the underneath of the car and previously we were going to use a rubberized undercoating of some sort but we decided against that since the body of the car literally has no rust so we wanted to show off the beauty of the car. The car won't be driven in winter months and will be taken care of pretty well.

Also I decided to use 2G GSX rear end. We found a donor rear end even though it was rusty, most of the components will be changed out and we sandblasted the frame and it turned out amazing. Also instead of using the 4 mounting points for the rear subframe, my dad decided to use the factory FWD mounting point as well so now it will have 6 mounting points instead of 4. So he fabricated a bracket to weld to the frame. We are also using a LSD rear differential, just don't have it fully cleaned up yet.

I tried to include everything thus far, it's a bunch to say but it's coming together! I will provide an update once the car is indeed on the ground. Just a few more things we are waiting on to show up.

Follow our official Facebook page!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.1.JPG 4.2.JPG 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

So you swapped the knuckles left to right to make it front steer. Definitely a good choice given the factory rack's location. What platform did you source the new rack from? I love the simplicity of the two bolt mounts. And hopefully it's a faster rack because the factory one is awful.

I wonder if you will need to extend the parking brake cable slightly. Mine is already taught at the stock height.

[1-31-2021]

We got the transmission tunnel almost completed. Gas pedal and brake medals are currently being modified to accommodate it. Did some cleaning of the engine bay and front / rear wheel wells. Engine bay and wheel wells should be fully coated sometime next weekend.

Also my brother-in-law found me a perfect LS1 intake manifold for the build. Believe it came off a C5 Corvette of some sort.

We are also in the drawing stages of fabricating some one of a kind parts for the 2G that I guarantee you won't see on any other.

I am loving the ingenuity here. But ya I gotta agree with the above there's no way that factory 2G diff is going to hold up to V8 torque. Better start looking for a straight axle or BMW center section if you want to stay independent.

Also waiting patiently to see this thing sitting on the tires. Still scratching my head trying to figure out how this car is not going to look like it has a 3-4" body lift with those spacers under the subframes and spring. Unless that is the look your going for?

[1-31-2021]

We got the transmission tunnel almost completed. Gas pedal and brake medals are currently being modified to accommodate it. Did some cleaning of the engine bay and front / rear wheel wells. Engine bay and wheel wells should be fully coated sometime next weekend.

Also my brother-in-law found me a perfect LS1 intake manifold for the build. Believe it came off a C5 Corvette of some sort.

We are also in the drawing stages of fabricating some one of a kind parts for the 2G that I guarantee you won't see on any other.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I forgot to add the photos from the last post. :ohdamn:

@babyviper, that is not the exact diff I am using. It was just the old one up there for mock-up purposes. The rear is not done yet. I'll post some updates when it is done. Just alot of back and fourth right now with waiting on things.

@95REGF150, I do have new axles on the way and should be here in about a month. Already have a center section already here that is plan A. I don't think I am the best person to explain the whole setup, once the car is done, I'll try to do a video on the car with my dad explaining the whole story upon what is going on and why we chose to go this route. I'm not one to spoil all the fun but honestly I wouldn't know how to explain it perfectly without more questions being asked.

[2-6-2021]

We got the engine, engine bay, and wheel wells fully painted. The engine was painted in a silver satin finish where as it was previously a neon green color. The engine bay and wheel wells were coated with a bed liner like material and looks stunning. I am still pretty shocked how good it looks.
The LS6 intake couldn't have worked out any better and looks great under the hood.

Along with new hubs, rotors, brake pads, and axles have arrived.

Currently we are picking up the new transmission tomorrow afternoon and should be in the car soon.

As for getting the car on the ground soon, I am kind of in a dilemma on which wheels I want to use on the car. As soon as I make up my mind and what size wheel and tire we want to run, I'll order them and hopefully have something to show you guys.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Good progress. Creative approach to adding the GSX rear subframe.

It looks as though the engine is offset by an inch, or so, to the right. Is that to allow for clearance of the steering shaft past the headers?

[2-20-2021]

Sorry for the delayed update, I personally was not happy with the suspension and wheel setup. After about three different wheel setups and some tweaks later to the suspension, it's just about there. Here are the new wheels I am running on the car. Hope you like them. I wanted to go with something that kept the tuner aspect of the car while still giving the car a little bit of a muscle car edge.

1.jpg

Last edited:
[02-27-2021]

Rear differential rebuilt and painted. We are using a 2G GSX LSD Auto rear differential. New DSS rear axles, stock springs, brake rotors and pads, front and rear hubs, and some new headers. All of my wheels have shown up in the mail but currently waiting on two tires. Suspension setup might have to change again for about the third time but we will see how it looks and feels on stock springs.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

[3-6-2021]

The computer system we are running in the Eclipse showed up this week. We are running a Holley Terminator X series computer system. We also got the new intake seals, injectors, and coil packs installed. Got an alternator bracket fabricated as well and seems to be all fitting nice and snug. We are running some 80lb injectors. We also just finished our first ever "Mitzu Garage" exclusive part for the Eclipse. I am so flippin' excited to show you what me and my dad have produced but, your going to have to wait for the big reveal for me to show you what that is exactly. Who knows, maybe we might make some for the DSM community.

Follow our official Instagram page!
https://www.instagram.com/mitzu.garage/

Follow our official YouTube page!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcbxr8uX1l4Doa6dxYQCqg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't know if anyone has seen or not but after several requests, I did a general little walk around of the 2G the other day.

[3-13-2021]

We got the steering all completed with a steering wheel on the car and it is all functional. Started the custom exhaust setup in the front and it is all tig welded together. Front sway bar installed. Also received my new radiator and have it fitted.

Follow our official Instagram page!
https://www.instagram.com/mitzu.garage/

Follow our official YouTube page!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcbxr8uX1l4Doa6dxYQCqg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Episode 2 is out as well on YouTube!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back