The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rim Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here are the short answers.

1. The size you choose is up to you and should be based on the type of driving you will be doing (daily, autox, show, etc.). Get light, wide 17's for the best handling. Get heavy 18's for looks.
2. I've never heard of wheels rubbing. Tires rub. As a couple others indicated, tires may rub when they are either larger overall diameter or larger width, and are affected by factors such as suspension lowereing, wheel offset and adjusting camber.
3. Many people have 18 inch wheels with no modifations. Many more had to roll their fender flanges.

There some FAQ's and numerous threads on tire fitment in this site. Read them. Heres the tire size calculator I use often to compare overall diameters of tires for different wheel sizes. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Hey I have a 1999 GST eclipse and I am planning to buy enkei raijins, do you think that I could run them on my car and have flush fitment. Also what kind of tires should I run, my car is for daily use. Your help is greatly appriciated thank you.

Hey! I'm looking at getting Motegi MR7 Rims for my 1998 Eclipse Spyder. However, I still have the stock rims on it and they say they are 16 inch rims. Should I get 17's or 18's? Will 18's fit without rubbing?? I like 17's because I know they will fit but 18's might look better. Does anyone have 18's and they know they will fit without any modification? Thanks!
I had a set of mr7 18’s on my rs. I’d say with the right tire size they wouldn’t rub but at times mine did. I prob had too soft of a spring also but they look great on the car itself. Mine were the grey finish with the grey body. Matched very well.

Youre
I had a set of mr7 18’s on my rs. I’d say with the right tire size they wouldn’t rub but at times mine did. I prob had too soft of a spring also but they look great on the car itself. Mine were the grey finish with the grey body. Matched very well.
You're answering questions from 15 years ago.

Well since it's alive again (even if in zombie form), how bad do allow wheels have to be bent at the rim before they really need to be replaced? And to what extent can they be safely repaired? I understand that this involves heat, which with aluminum is always iffy.

Several decades of potholes and such have done a number on all 4 of my stock alloy rims, but I'd hate to see them go and I'm guessing that exact replacements are hugely expensive. New wheels just won't feel right, even if they're probably warranted at this point.

Well since it's alive again (even if in zombie form), how bad do allow wheels have to be bent at the rim before they really need to be replaced? And to what extent can they be safely repaired? I understand that this involves heat, which with aluminum is always iffy.

Several decades of potholes and such have done a number on all 4 of my stock alloy rims, but I'd hate to see them go and I'm guessing that exact replacements are hugely expensive. New wheels just won't feel right, even if they're probably warranted at this point.

I’ve seen some of the mobile wheel repair people work some miracles before. I don’t have any direct experience with the cost, but maybe you’ll be surprised!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back