The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 1998 mitsubishi eclipse gauge lights out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyroxas

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2012
gallardo, Tennessee
So my gauge lights have been out for a while and I am getting tired of it. The lights on the sides work like door open and check engine. But the ones that stay on and light up the speedo and gas gauge do not. The day they went out I heard a pop so I thought fuse but none of the fuses under the hood are bad. Could it be the dimmer switch?? The circuit board behind the fuses looks okay to me also.

Do you have HVAC, and running lights? check your taillamp fuse under the hood

My dimmer used to work and yes it clicks I have all lights on my car except the hour gauges every other single light works

Every fuse looks good under the hood so what could have been the pop noise that's hy I don't think it the circuit film

Actually guys I do not have HVAC lights at all I forgot I even had those!?? But tail lights work fine so not a fuse right. It has to be the dimmer switch??

It's the dimmer and the 2g one is pricey. As shown in the pic in post 8, unplug dimmer and on the harness side plug, jumper the black with yellow stripe wire to the black wire. The dash lights should now go on full when taillights are on.

I have a similar problem, but my gauge lights on the speedometer and rpm band as do the gas gauge and hot/cold gauge work, but the only warning lights that will show up are the emergency brake light and the open door light, but my brights indicator does not light up and none of the other warning lights work(check engine etc.) could this be the dimmer also? Also I don't know if this helps, but my cigarette lighter also does not work. Any Help would be greatly appreciated didn't mean to thread jack.

Well when I said it doesn't work I should have said its not connected, but does that have anything to do with my problem of no warning lights? Or do you think the problem is the dimmer?

Ok so what powers all the warning lights?

Because when I turn the key the only warning lights that light up are the e brake and door open light and actually the battery light also, but no other warning lights will light up

+12v goes to all the warning lights through a fuse. They are turned on by individual switches applying a ground on the other side of each light. Example: door ajar uses door switch, ebrake uses either the parking brake switch or brake fluid low switch. Battery actually uses the alt to apply the ground when it's not working.

Thank you luv2rallye. How should I go about fixing this? Also where is this fuse your talking about? So you think it could possibly be the ground for each individual warning light? That seems highly unlikely for every single one.

First check (remove and test continuity with meter) the 10 amp "gauge" fuse in inside fusebox (by drivers leg). It's the 3rd from left middle row. As long as you're there you may as well check all of them. Then check all fuses in engine compartment fusebox.

I've done that numerous times and all I could come up with was a bad relay and it was in the engine bay fuse box and it was for the ac fan. What should I do after checking all fuses and continuity to those fuses?

so i bought 99 eclipse and the dash lights don't work. the brake light and oil light and such work. i took out the cluster and followed the wires down above the pedals and they lead to a small box with one wire leading out being a ground and another cluster of wires all being cut and i don't know where any of them go please help?

I am having a similar problem. My in cabin lights work, warning lights work. BUT I REALIZE everything that could dim is dead. Like gauge cluster speedo and rpm (needle works but no illumination), center console. All lights that can't be dim are working.
My parking lights are dead, bumper lights dead, tail lights dead (unless I step on brake), BUT MY headlights and turn signal works.

So bypassing it like post 8 means I won't have use of the dimmer switch but my lights should be working again? I keep blowing fuse 15 inside the engine compartment fuse box label tail lamp.

I am having a similar problem. My in cabin lights work, warning lights work. BUT I REALIZE everything that could dim is dead. Like gauge cluster speedo and rpm (needle works but no illumination), center console. All lights that can't be dim are working.
My parking lights are dead, bumper lights dead, tail lights dead (unless I step on brake), BUT MY headlights and turn signal works.

So bypassing it like post 8 means I won't have use of the dimmer switch but my lights should be working again? I keep blowing fuse 15 inside the engine compartment fuse box label tail lamp.
Well if you keep blowing the fuse you've got a short and will have to locate it before bypassing the dimmer: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-partial-short-battery-drain.html#post1496998

O.M.G.

I did what post 8 mention and it works now. I rechecked everything I ever touched in wiring and make sure it was cover( solder or black tape) and it all looks good. I used process of elimination and figure it had to be the dimmer switch. Thanks luv2rallye for the help.

Does anyone have a stereo wire pic because I've googled where all the stereo wires and speakers go i think i got it but some stuff does not work and i think its missing with my dimmer switch id like to know because mine does not work....
i have a kenwood speaker so i did color to color but still need help

and all fuses are new

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back