The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1998 manual transmission drain plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse012

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2008
canada, AB_Canada
Just wondering,

I recently just changed my manual transmission oil again. I re-thunk the fact that my drain bolt does not have a magnet in it. I can't recall last time what i read about if the 2g gsx's do or dont. I did do a quick search to find out if anyone else has asked in the past. All i found were where can you buy a new one. Did they not give us magnetic drain plugs in our cars from the factory? Or did my car just get a cheap previous owner from the past?

Thanks

Mine does not have a magnetic tip and come to think of it that worries me a bit since this trans is supposed to be an upgraded trans from Shepherd which they use an "upgraded rare earth magnet". Maybe I just didn't notice because that's how healthy the trans is from the past oil change.

There is no magnet on the drain plug. There is however a trash magnet in the bottom of the transmission that an only be cleaned with the case split.

Thanks for the feed back. I think i will seek & purchase a drain plug with a magnet just to be extra cautious on this. Since i have no idea how dirty the magnet is since its in the tranny. Once again thanks for the replies and the pic of the open transmission which shows its placement.

my tranny drain plug is infact magnetized.

Thanks BryanWheat, I was positive this was a Shep trans so they must be referring to that magnet contained within the case.

this is correct. i am waiting for my shep trans to come next week:rocks:

my plug is magnetized if its NOT, im not sure how all the metal shavings from my granaded center diff stuck to it LOL. This is a 99 GSX tranny which was stock before sending off to shep.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back