The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 GSX

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Did you get a used 6-bolt crank?

If I were to do it again I think I'd go with a cast intake manifold - the sheet metal manifolds are light and look cool but you don't really have to worry about cracked welds with the cast.

Josh is good people for sure. Wish we had him involved here years earlier.

Yup I sourced a used OEM 6 bolt crank. The bearing surfaces seem to be in nice shape, so hopefully it will just need a polish and be good to go.

Yeah I've been buying from Josh for a long time now, always recommend him to other, especially for OEM parts!

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Well I finally have something very PRETTY to look at! The turbo showed up the other week, and this thing is a beaut. I'm not going to disclose all the sizes due to the type of racing I'm in, but it'll be a nice power upgrade which I need since I'm moving away from using any nitrous down the track. Next to show up should be the @MorrisonFab work of art exhaust manifold! I'm thinking maybe another month or so on that piece, but it should pair with this Xona rotor turbo perfectly.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also wanted to go ahead and take a look at the engine harness and re-loom it with some fresh TESA tape, well I fund the wires were a bit of a mess, and a bunch of cracks on the wire insulation. I decided to add a OHM Racing engine harness to the list of mods for the winter! I can't wait to see a fresh brand new engine harness in the car! Since they do not accommodate anything for the auto trans connections, I will be making my own small shiftbox/trans harness and will post that up also. I'll go more in depth with that once the engine harness shows up (ETA of end of March/start of April).

Last edited:

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Not too much to update for the chassis yet, but did get more VERY pretty parts in.

The @MorrisonFab exhaust manifold is an absolute work of art! I need a nicer car to install it on LOL. It's their large runner Xona V-band manifold with an added 1/8" NPT bung for an EMAP set up if I ever want to check in on exhaust manifold pressure.

OHM Racing did a great job on the new engine harness! I just need to make a shift box harness myself, and rewire a handful of things, and that should do it for electrical. I plan to pull the dash out and take out as much as I possibly can, then install the harness and get the dash back in.

I also tossed a quick coat of POR15 on the new OEM front knuckles and lower control arms from @DSSA .

Next up should be the engine from Force Engineering! The bottom end is actually done, just waiting for the head to be completed and I'll make my way out to pick it all up.

I'll be posting up the shift box harness when I get around to making it, I had a couple people asking to document that process a bit, so be on the look out for that.

Next post should be the engine!

Thanks for looking!

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Just an update on the car. I did get the motor back, but haven't had the chance to work on that at all. I've been grinding on the relay board and interior electronics. I pulled the dash to get as much crap out as I could get my hands on, which of course has turned into a rather larger project than I was planning.

It was time to redo all the wiring I had previously done for the relays and what not. I ended up making two separate relay boards. The main board which has 9 relays, mostly for the launching tricks that are needed for these auto cars. The second board consists of 2 30/40amp relays that will have constant 12V, and a switched 200amp relay that will feed the main board. This secondary board also has a 125amp inline fuse between the battery and 200amp relay. All in all, I'm happy with how it has turned out, it was literally a mess of wires before.

Before: Yeahhh, I definitely didn't care about presentation, I just installed as I went, covered up with the carpet LOL, and it all worked so I didn't bother cleaning this up till now. Believe it or not, it was actually way worse than this photo too when the OEM harness and the mess of wires used to install the shift box's harness was still in there LOL.

And some of relay board progress and where I stand as of now:

Also, as you can see I have gotten the OHM racing harness installed, and made the shift box harness. It was really nice they made this harness with pigtails I requested for the VSS, TPS and RPM so I was able to feed the shift box those signals that way.

Just tossed the dash back in!

All in all it was a great project for me. I came away with a WAY better understanding of the different ways relays can be used, and how everything communicates to each other as a whole.

Thanks!

Last edited:

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Just a little fun update I have for today. I have installed a switch panel in the location of where a radio deck would go, and have deleted most of the car's speakers. I didn't want to totally lose the ability to listen to music though, because this is still a car I plan on driving around and enjoying. Originally I was looking for some kind of solution, like a single AUX input or something that I could just plug my phone into, and get audio through two door speakers. I'm not very knowledgeable with car audio, or the different options out there to be honest, but I managed to stumble across these cool little mini wireless, bluetooth sterio/AMP on Amazon.

It was cheap enough, so I decided to order it, and see if I could make something work. Super glad I decided to just tackle this little project now, as I have already ripped into the interior pretty good! I paired this amp with a custom harness I made that plugs right into the car's oem radio harness, and just used wires to send audio to the door speakers, worked like a charm! I found my old speakers were completely toast, and the passenger side speaker just wasn't working anymore, so I went back to my trusty Amazon account, and ordered up some super cheap 6.5" JVC speakers to toss in the doors.

-Also a small plus that came as a nice little surprise to me is these JVC speakers have fairly small magnets on the back of them, they are considerable lighter than the OEM units. I'm sure the smaller magnet isn't what those audio guys are after, but it 100% was a welcome surprise to me.

So I was able to use an OEM bracket that's located under the car's glove box that originally was used for the ABS module, and also for 2 of the center counsel's mounting screws. After drilling two holes and mounting the mini amp, it literally looked like it could have been installed there from the factory, and it fit perfectly under the glove box.

I put some power to the mini amp, connected my phone via bluetooth, and it sounded so much better than I thought it would have. I'm not looking to win any kind of audio competitions by any means haha, but I was just super pumped that a small idea actually worked out way better than I thought, and I still have my music to turn up for when I want to try and drown out everything else going on! LOL

Anyway, that was a fun little project, and should work out very well for what I'm looking for. I just set the bass and treble settings on the mini amp to where I liked it, and keep the volume all the way up on the amp, so I just adjust volume on my phone so I wont need to get to those setting knobs that are on the amp.

I also have completely wrapped up (till I need to add something) the relay board and switch panel. This project was fun, I will post up photos of that once my Carbonetics airbag delete tray comes in (should be either today or tomorrow according to the tracking number) to give the interior a more finished look. I just need to now finish up interior stuff from the rear seats back, and find a solution for some carpeting, and I can start to think about moving forward to the front suspension and power train stuff!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

spoolinpos

Proven Member
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Got the air bag delete from Carbonetics, it's a pretty nice piece! Much better than just having an open hole in that location imo. I believe I ordered it in December, so honestly it came at the perfect time for me. I tried to order as soon as I made my mind up on it.

Anyway! Here's what the final product looks like for the relay boards. I'm happy with how it turned out, my fingers will 100% be crossed when I put some power to it and test out all the communications. Crazy to see just how many things are integrated together when it's all arranged on a board! I still have two more relays in the rear of the car for the fuel pump!

Also here's a photo of the switch panel. It's a pretty "budget friendly" solution, I spent all my money on relays LOL. Everything has since been labeled, and it's a lot nicer looking than the 4 or 5 different style toggle switches I had somehow crammed all in the bottom right side of the center counsel. Those holes have been plugged up with grommets, and that usb port where the ac switch use to be is the communications port for the shift box.

Just some pictures of the air bag delete mocked up and where I'm currently at with the interior project. I believe I have an idea for some carpeting, so in the next couple days I may take some measurements and get something ordered to work on that.

I still have to mount the Kirkeys, and maybe just a harness bar for now so I can at least drive the car around a bit once it's running. At the moment, a cage is in the plans, but I'm not sure when I will get to it just yet due to a lot going on in life. This car will never see full 1/4 mile hits without a cage so I def will try and start to budget for one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to possibly starting powertrain stuff soon here. As always, thanks for lookin!

OH91awd

Proven Member
Sep 22, 2011
chillicothe, Ohio
Got the air bag delete from Carbonetics, it's a pretty nice piece! Much better than just having an open hole in that location imo. I believe I ordered it in December, so honestly it came at the perfect time for me. I tried to order as soon as I made my mind up on it.

Anyway! Here's what the final product looks like for the relay boards. I'm happy with how it turned out, my fingers will 100% be crossed when I put some power to it and test out all the communications. Crazy to see just how many things are integrated together when it's all arranged on a board! I still have two more relays in the rear of the car for the fuel pump!

Also here's a photo of the switch panel. It's a pretty "budget friendly" solution, I spent all my money on relays LOL. Everything has since been labeled, and it's a lot nicer looking than the 4 or 5 different style toggle switches I had somehow crammed all in the bottom right side of the center counsel. Those holes have been plugged up with grommets, and that usb port where the ac switch use to be is the communications port for the shift box.

Just some pictures of the air bag delete mocked up and where I'm currently at with the interior project. I believe I have an idea for some carpeting, so in the next couple days I may take some measurements and get something ordered to work on that.

I still have to mount the Kirkeys, and maybe just a harness bar for now so I can at least drive the car around a bit once it's running. At the moment, a cage is in the plans, but I'm not sure when I will get to it just yet due to a lot going on in life. This car will never see full 1/4 mile hits without a cage so I def will try and start to budget for one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to possibly starting powertrain stuff soon here. As always, thanks for lookin!
Looking damn good! Makes me want to bring my car up and have you rewire it LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds