The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1998 Eclipse GSX For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98GSXin

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2010
Santa Clara, California
*Sold as of 10/14/12*

I finally put it up. This isn't a decision I took lightly or rushed into. It was planned and well thought out. Not my favorite of options, but it is basically necessary at this point in my life. :( Here's the craigslist ad:

New Link
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3212913582.html

It's not like I'll be gone forever. Maybe I'll find a cheap 1g beater to help keep the dsm fire burning afterwards. We'll see. Let me know if you have any questions or know someone looking for a shortcut to a seriously fast and awesome car. Thanks.

Per outlawdsm's request, full disclosure:
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: Clean Title, No Accidents, No Rust, Smoggable and Currently Registered, 380 awhp (mustang dyno), 125k Miles, 5 speed Manual, All Wheel Drive, LSD Rear End, Grey Leather Sunroof, Tinted windows to help with summer heat, Pioneer radio with aux and Ipod integration, 10" Fusion sub with built in amp,

Working A/C and Power Steering (9 times out of 10 a modified car is going to have these stripped out for weight savings and/or because they were broken)

Maintenance performed within the last two years: Always used Royal Purple or Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, New Battery, New Power Steering Pump, New Alternator, Full Rebuild on Engine Top End, New Head Gasket, New Ball Joints and Lower Control Arms (all 4 corners), New Front Axles, New ISC, New Weighted Leather Shift Knob OEM, Tokico Illumina Struts

Upgrades/Mods (from the intake to the exhaust): Injen air filter, Evo 8 MAF with translator for DSM connection, Custom 4" intake with bov recirculation fitting, Garrett GT3582 Turbo T4 compressor and T3 Turbine Housing (Flows 65lbs a minute and/or 830 cfm), Hallman manual boost controller, Punishment Racing Front Mount Intercooler, Cleanly cut front bumper for flush fitment, HKS bov, Rebuilt 1990 DSM N/T throttle body (better flow), Evo 3 Intake Manifold, AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Low Impedance 1000cc Injectors, HKS 272 Cams, New valves and valve stem seals, EVO 8 springs and retainers (8,000 RPM Redline), Tubular Manifold T3 fitment (Ceramic Coated and Header Wrapped for under the hood heat reduction), Tial 38mm Wastegate Slim Design, Vent to atmosphere dump tube, Custom Alternator and Power Steering Heat Shield, 3" o2 housing, downpipe and HKS Hi-Power exhaust

The center differential has been upgraded to a 4 spider center. The clutch is an ACT 2600 with Street Disk. The head gasket is an OEM composite gasket with ARP L19 head studs. Those heads studs are no joke. Torqued to 90 ft/lbs and I would like to see someone try to blow this head gasket. Intake and exhaust manifolds were port matched for the head. It has new Avid Racing poly urethane motor mounts- CNC aluminum with inserts.

Currently she is tuned on Evoscan since the 98-99 DSMs have the blacktop ECU. It is the same tuning software that the evo guys use now. It has a 2 step set up tuned in, but that is really only for track use.

She made 380 AWHP and 311 Ft/lb of Torque on the Mustang Dyno at FFTEC. Will provide dyno print out with car. That dyno gives consistently lower readings than dyno jet types of dynos as well. Ask anybody that works there and they will tell you the same. Car is easily over 400 awhp if it was taken to a dyno jet. Currently boosting 25psi on pump 91 octane fuel. If you know anything about tuning cars, you should know that this means the turbo is not even stressing at these levels. Once you go e85 and turn the boost up, this car will have no problem making over 500 awhp.

The brakes are slotted and dimpled rotors with Hawk HP+ brake pads. Rims are ADR M-Classics. Tires are Hankook Ventus v4 es. There's only about 1,000 miles on the tires, rims and brakes.

It has a Mishimoto aluminum radiator. One slimline fan mounted in the engine bay and one mounted in front of the radiator and a/c condenser in order to provide clearance for the turbo. 60/40 water/coolant with Redline Water Wetter to help keep the car running cool.

Obviously no car is perfect. The (not so) bads are as follows: CEL comes on intermittently for a bad rear o2 sensor. The passenger side front fender is dented from when one of the balljoints gave out. (All the ball joints were replaced as a result of that whole issue.) You can see it in the pictures. I have a replacement fender and sidekirt cap to replace that though. Fender is the same color. Sorry I haven't had time to replace that, but I work two jobs now and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a trade to be comparable by any means. Just something fun to beat around in and keep miles off the 350 with. The cash that would come in is more important at this point and a trade option only makes it easier to get the car moved on to a new owner. Thanks man.

I think its going to be a little difficult to sell for that price. Just my opinion but good luck the car looks like a beast.

I'm not giving it away to charity. It's being pried from my warm, living fingers. If I listed it at $5,000, it would sell within 24 hours to some punk kid that would put it and himself into a freeway median. Not on my watch.

Thanks for the props.

9/10 odds that happens regardless if you sell it. There is no way to become acclimated to that much power quick enough. Only previous Dsm owners could respect that. (Of the people looking to buy a 98gsx)

999/1,000 odds you don't find a pristine laser and swoop it out from under the oblivious owner's feet for dirt cheap either, but it does happen. Right buddy? :sneaky:haha.

My fingers are crossed for a mature buyer regardless. The price point in and of itself is a punk kid deterrent. It is a fair price considering the car and work done, but steep enough that a fresh driver shouldn't be able to sweet talk mommy and daddy into buying it for them. This car is an investment into DSM culture. One that shouldn't be taken lightly haha.

Not going to lie, I am surprised at the general lack of interest though. You guys think that most people would prefer a stock car to build on, rather than a car already built?

I'd rather buy a built one over stock. Only a person who knows about cars would appreciate its worth for its value. A normal person will only base it on its kbb price LOL.

Would you ever consider parting it out.?

If I don't get the cash out of it that I need, I would take it back to stock and sell the goodies. But that is a loooong way away from happening.

Haha. Probably a chinese knockoff to begin with. If you want to start swapping Craigslist stories, we can do that hahaha.

A while back, I ended up in the hollister area in the middle of a rainstorm to help a buddy pick up some fenders and a bumper for his integra. Turns out the dude we were buying from had this big ass barn out the back of his house on a major farm plot. Leading up to it he had dog kennels where it looked like he was breeding dogs with horses. Things were massive size and shaking fences trying to get at us. No idea why anyone needs that many big angry dogs... . He rolled the doors open to the barn and it was pitch black inside. Shit you not, dude says they're way in the back if you want to just grab them. Me and my buddy were shitting bricks. I thought I was going to die and/or get raped in the middle of nowhere that day. But the dude flicked a light on at that point and a sense of relief was found. Moral of the story, meet in public places. Hahaha.

Haha. Probably a chinese knockoff to begin with. If you want to start swapping Craigslist stories, we can do that hahaha.

A while back, I ended up in the hollister area in the middle of a rainstorm to help a buddy pick up some fenders and a bumper for his integra. Turns out the dude we were buying from had this big ass barn out the back of his house on a major farm plot. Leading up to it he had dog kennels where it looked like he was breeding dogs with horses. Things were massive size and shaking fences trying to get at us. No idea why anyone needs that many big angry dogs... . He rolled the doors open to the barn and it was pitch black inside. Shit you not, dude says they're way in the back if you want to just grab them. Me and my buddy were shitting bricks. I thought I was going to die and/or get raped in the middle of nowhere that day. But the dude flicked a light on at that point and a sense of relief was found. Moral of the story, meet in public places. Hahaha.

:hellyeah: LOL good story made my day ROFL

You have to put much more detail in the ad. You really need to list every single modifcation, plus attach a dyno graph for proof of performance. Another thing to consider is that you are right at the price of 03'/04' Evo VIII. That is going to make it a tough sell to most DSM'ers because many would rather have a stock evo over a modded 2g. (even more so in Cali that has insane smog laws) Plus someone will have to of had a lot of money saved up because you will never get a bank to give a 9.5k loan for a 14yr old mitsubishi. I wish the best of luck with your sale but I think these are some of the reasons you have very little interest.

Are you still asking 9.5k?

Jayson

On craigslist, yeah. But dsmtuners get a discount!:thumb: Let me know if you or someone else you know is interested.

You have to put much more detail in the ad. You really need to list every single modifcation, plus attach a dyno graph for proof of performance. Another thing to consider is that you are right at the price of 03'/04' Evo VIII. That is going to make it a tough sell to most DSM'ers because many would rather have a stock evo over a modded 2g. (even more so in Cali that has insane smog laws) Plus someone will have to of had a lot of money saved up because you will never get a bank to give a 9.5k loan for a 14yr old mitsubishi. I wish the best of luck with your sale but I think these are some of the reasons you have very little interest.

I had a fully written up ad documenting everything about the car posted for a while and then the car kept getting flagged. I streamlined the ad so that I could keep it posted and discuss the car with seriously interested buyers. To appease you, I updated my first post with the same. At least it can't get flagged here haha.

I challenge you to find an evo for 9k.... And my market isn't a buyer that wants an evo anyways. My market is someone who wants a fast car and doesn't want to put the work in to get there. If someone wants an evo, they will get one, but they will need much deeper pockets than if they were to buy a modded 2g.

Again, if you have to get the bank to loan you 9.5k, you probably aren't in a position to be buying a built car anyways. That's why I have the option there to take a trade for an older car plus cash or a straight trade for a newer car.

Even though I honestly didn't flag it in Craigslist ever, I.totally thought about it, LOL. Don't sell it!!!

Even though I honestly didn't flag it in Craigslist ever, I.totally thought about it, LOL. Don't sell it!!!

No, I know the little ####er that did it. Some kid offered me $5000 CASH MONEY for it... I told him to go buy a honda with that money. He proceeded to curse me out and call my car garbage. I'm pretty sure he got all his little "jdm tight yo" buddies to help flag it. It was down about 20 minutes after he sent his last message to me.

Selling it isn't my favorite option, but it is either this or the 350z that has to go. And I'm just having too much fun with the 350 to let it go.

It's pretty hard to justify a high asking price for used DSMs even modded ones as clean as yours so you should lower your expectations. It's not an MR2 or Supra, which holds its value. I sold my MR2T for more than I paid for it after 3 years of ownership. I couldn't give away my 2G DSM, nobody would pay my asking price for it! I had to factor in that I'm only going to recoup about 20% of the cost in mods. It's just reality man. good luck with your sale and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for 2G DSMs so when I saw your ad, my eyes still lit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you that if I could get someone on the hook for a test drive, they wouldn't leave without a deal getting done. haha. The car commands respect and its just getting the buyer past the initial sticker shock to fully understand why it's worth so much.

I wish you the best of luck but I don't see it selling for not than $6800. Not sure if you're a member on the link forums but if you go over there, you will see that there are 2 99 gsx's fs that are WAY higher caliber than this car. I'm talking fully built stroker, shearer turbokit with 1000awhp capable turbo, fully built shep stage 4 tranny, full dsmlink with all options, the list goes on and on and they are turn key, ac, full on daily drivers and all the parts are either brand new or have less than 200 miles on them. T he nicer of the two, after having th car up with an asking price of $10k for almost 4 months, finally ended up parting the car out and even after almost a month of that, he's only sold the tranny, clutch, and some small items. Your car, I see either a punishment racing budget or eBay manifold, punishment fmic, EVO manifold, no ignition upgrade etc.... Not saying there's anything WRONG with your setup or that the combo doesn't work, but its just a whole different level. Just saying, if he couldn't get $10k for that car, there's no way in HELL this things pullin $9.5k. Crazier things have happened though. I'd say your only hope is a sucker with some sort of trade or trade plus money that'll get you to that $9.5k mark, or you part out the car and put it back to stock and TRY to get $4500-$5k for it. Best of luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back