The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1998 Eclipse GST head question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LR35

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2015
crothersville, Indiana
I just purchased a 98 eclipse spyder gst, was told it had a bad head gasket, come to find out it jumped time and bent the valves. While it's apart can someone give me a idea on a good head to replace it with or should I have the old head rebuilt?

The same thing happened to my head off of my 1g Talon Tsi, timing belt snapped on the previous owner and that's how I bought it, pulled the head of sent it in to the shop to get new valves put in, I don't remember the exact amount of money it cost but I remember it being a lot cheaper than finding another head, but really it comes down to your preference whether you want to get it rebuilt or find another one

Post some pics of the head you pulled off, it can help point you in the right direction.

What head do you have? casting number? SOHC? DOHC?

I am not sure what head cam in the spyders, or if yours has been swapped before?

If need be , post pics in photobucket and drop the links.

It's dohc, car is bone stock. Casting # g6s with 8 underneath.

Should I just have this head rebuilt? I've heard something about replacing it with a 1g head.What's the difference and is a 1g swap a direct bolt on and a power gain?

Just rebuild. If u install a 1g head u will need a 1g intake manifold. And 1g t stat housing 1g has a larger runner diameter. Ie. More flow. More top end 2g have narrower but longer runners Ie more velocity. More low end

The car has 125k on it, will I have any bottom end issues rebuilding the head? I priced a rebuild and it's only $400, I gave $450 for the car LOL

Well on the DOHC heads they tend to crack the guides so those need replaced too.

Whose head are you looking at for $400?

I called a local shop that rebuilds heads and that how much it is to rebuild it. And on the bottom end comment, Ive always heard that it's not good to rebuild the top and not the bottom

This is my first dsm so I'm totally clueless on them.

Not bashing at all. We all start somewhere. But given the lack of experience. Do a lot of research. If u ask a question here. Only follow instructions from a good member. Lately I've seen proven member here clueless about these cars. Bogus is a great member and well accredited this forum for every one well thought out answer u will have 10 that most likely have no bearing on the problem at all

I also noticed a crack on the top of the exhaust manifold, is this a common problem? Should I replace it with a aftermarket header, have it welded or look for a stock replacement.

2g are prone to cracking around the top where the bolts hold the turbo on. I have a hair line in mine now. No problems yet. If it does not Leak or is severely cracked it's fine

If you do not see black soot around the crack, no need to worry about it at this point, but keep an eye on it.

You may want to source a head from a shop that is known for building 4g heads and know the mods for them along with the specs.

Read this and it will help understand what needs to be done with your head.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-have-a-4g63-head-rebuilt.420045/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back