The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 1998 Eclipse GS 420a 2.0 non turbo TPS replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cme

Probationary Member
Jul 31, 2021
Moss Point, Mississippi
Good evening! I had a Mod 40 TPS Switch A Circuit High P0123 code, so I'm going to order a new sensor. May I please ask if I have to adjust it when I put it on, or does it come ready to plug and play? I did a search online and that's how I found out that there is such a thing of having an adjustment. I came on here and did a search to see if I will have to do I to mine when I get the new one, but no posts came up. If I do have to adjust it, would someone please help a girl out and post a how to link and a video link, if possible, because I have no idea how to do that without messing something up. I took my TPS off by mistake when I was trying to replace my broken map sensor, and just screwed I back on when I realized my mistake, but I didn't know I might have needed to be adjusted so I just screwed it back on and poked the clip thing back onto it. Someone told me to clean my map sensor with wd40, and I sprayed that onto my TPS before screwing it back on because I thought it was the map sensor. 😢 Today, I unhooked the clip and sprayed the pins spot with sensor spray cleaner because I was told that may fix it, but it didn't. Please help me, if anyone will with info and links on how to put I on correctly and adjust it. If it has to be adjusted, would you try adjusting it in case that's the problem in case the sensor may still be good before ordering a new one please? Thank everyone in advance for reading my post. I'll always be grateful for this site and all of y'all. Attaching a pic of the type that is on my car, and that I'll be buying a new one of to try to fix this issue. ❤️

I do have a bit of good news to be happy about! I replaced the bad MAP sensor by myself and the code for that problem went away. 😁 Now if I can replace the possible bad throttle position sensor correctly, maybe another code won't pop up and cause me to have to replace something else! 😂 I love this car, but it's giving me more gray hairs with each new issue that shows up once I get each problem that pops up fixed LOL. 😂 Hugs, y'all!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
part number for the TPS is
04874430ab

when you remove the screws to take off the TPS you have now, hold in position, don't pull the sensor from the throttle body. let go of it and it should move slightly counter clockwise. pay attention to that position cause you want to install the new one just like that. then you rotate it clockwise enough to get the screws to line up with the holes.

edit**** (that would be if the throttle body is off the car and your looking at the TPS side. so on the car it will be rotating the opposite direction)

the flat part on the end of the shaft need to go here on the sensor

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I'll try to do that. I know when I took it off it wiggled the heck out of it to get it to come out of the tb, so I probably did mess the adjustment up!

I found that and it sure didn't pop up doing a search for my car model last night or I wouldn't have wasted your time, so I'll try adjusting it if it doesn't idle sweetly. Just hope the tester goes in the same spot on this one as it did his other type car. Thank y'all for your help. Many hugs!
Now to go do a search and find out what the base idle is supposed to be for it. ❤️

Okay y'all I took my battery cable off and let it sit to clear the codes and then rechecked it and the obd tester says no codes are stored so does that mean it's fixed because I checked on both modules and it says no codes are stored please?

Ok this is where it's idling in park, so is that ok please?
Now that the check engine light is off, I have to figure out what to do about the srs light being on 😂
Man I love this forum!

here this might help

its actually the 97 manual but really the only thing different between the 97 and 98 is there a few of the wires on the ECU connector are swapped around.

check this post for the ECU pinouts if you need them

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back