The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I received a small 16G from a member on here yesterday in the mail. Here are some before and after pictures of it and some other parts that I've received recently or had stowed away. Afterall, I want this car to be aesthetically pleasing as well as a good performer! I'm still working on sanding and polishing the compressor housing so I'll post up pictures when it's all done!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well here's a rough idea of what the turbo setup is looking like now. I have a fresh set of turbo hardware on its way to me so that'll finish the look off well I think.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up used lightweight flywheel to replace my damaged one. One part closer to getting this engine package back together!

I figured while I was waiting on parts and whatnot, I'd give the transmission a looking at and a good clean. I knew the transmission was maybe a little dirty from daily use or whatever, but oh my god this thing was NASTY. Below I've posted some pictures AFTER 5 hours of tediously cleaning the thing with brake cleaner, a microfiber rag, and a pick. There may be an easier way to do this but there's so much crap in the smallest places all over this trans I have to use a pick to loosen it up first. I vow to never let any part of my car get this nasty ever again (even though it isn't my fault this time). Onwards and upwards I suppose.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

WE’RE BACK FROM THE DEAD

Hello everybody how have the last 2 years treated you? This is a small update on the talon and letting you know what’s going on with the project.

for starters, a few years back the car was showing signs of a spun rod bearing, so I pulled it immediately into our shed to prevent further damage. My brother and I pulled the engine and found out that it did indeed have signs of one of the rod bearings starting to fail.

so I went on a search for a long block to swap in while I built my split thrust engine that came out of it. Had ZERO luck finding one within 500 miles of me that was in stock/good running condition. This was over the course of a few months so that really sucked. I did however want to change my overall build back to a drivers car more than a straight line super car killer. I sold the FP black and bought a 16g from a member on here. I realistically adjusted my HP and driving goals with the car and at the time the 16g made the most sense.... we will come back to this in a later post!

unfortunately I kind of lost interest in working on the car due to getting overwhelmed with it, my 3000gt vr4 project, and other financial problems, so I gave the talon to my little brother on his 16th birthday. He’s a smart guy and I knew he could get it going and enjoy it. Well, even though that’s true, the car ended up sitting for another 2 years in the state I left it in. It is inside away from the elements at least. And just about a week ago, he came to me and said just fix that talon, it’s too rare of a DSM to have it rot away in the shed, I’m tired of seeing it sit.

so here we are now. I’m trying to get back into the “DSM swing of things” and brush up on everything so I can make a sober assessment of what needs to be done.

if anybody out there reading this is about to start a project, DONT START IT unless you’re financially prepared. Don’t tear it apart until you have parts to replace as you take it apart. Trust me, it really really sucks tearing apart a car only to come back to it 2 years later and not know what the hell you’ve done before that point.

I will be making semi-regular posts here about the Talon, so keep an eye out! I’ll be finishing it for real this time.

So after thinking for quite a while, I want to do something that might strike some of you as odd.

For right now, I’d like to return the talon to its stock state (or at least most of the core stock components like the turbo/injectors/intake system) and here is my reasoning.

It’s been so long since I’ve driven this car or even any turbo car for that matter. When I started this project it was a 16g bolt on car with a Maft setup. I just wanted to make it go fast in a straight line, but now I really want to start at the beginning and progress the build as if it were a stock car. I want to make modifications and see/feel what they do in relation to the cars performance so I can get the most accurate idea of what I’d really like the car to be.

Of course the car won’t stay a T25/14b powered car forever, but I want to enjoy the car while I really think hard about what I want out of it. I will be keeping my split thrust 7 bolt that came out of the car for building at a later date. I’d really like to find a 7 bolt long block to drop into the car in the next month or so, so I can get this going forward. I’m tired of going back and forth between what I want to do right now when the car is in a million pieces. That’s not helping me in the least LOL

There will be some parts for sale posted up this week so if you’re in need of a 16g, maf-t setup, or other misc parts let me know! I will be looking for stock components as well, t25/14b, stock intake plumbing/smic, etc. so if you have anything laying around pm me and I might scoop it up!

She will be back one day
84CEB5D2-85D4-4A50-B70F-5A1C5B39EE8A.jpeg

Last edited:
If anybody who is watching this thread has a long block for sale for around $600, I’ve got my PayPal ready!

Still on the look for an engine! I’ve saved up more money so now a 7bolt long block will be possible. If anyone here has a strong running oem spec longblock for sale, and you’re in East TN, dm me!

Small update.

I haven’t worked on the car in the last few months, but my brother and I have been cleaning up our shop where the car and my project 3000gt vr4 is currently. Hard to work on something when there’s no room, very frustrating. I know some of you will have this same issue. I got tired of it, and I’m cleaning up shop (no pun intended)!

Besides that, I’ve been looking for a running 7 bolt to drop into the car off and on. I’m teetering in and out of motivation to work on my two Mitsubishi’s. A recent look through old pictures of them both has sparked my motivation a bit, so I’m gonna try to have one of them running by this summer. It’ll likely be the talon. I could drop in a built 7 bolt and nice turbo setup with all the supporting mods for less than the cost of basic maintenance and stock turbo replacement for the vr4. I’m indecisive on what I want out of the vr-4, and I’m not tearing it down further until I’ve got the parts in hand to do some work. I’ll keep you all updated!

Just gonna paste this here from my WTB listing, just in case one of you who has been following this build has any of these parts for sale!

Hello all, I’m in the process of returning my 2gb back to oem spec, and I’m on the hunt for the necessary parts to do so! Please feel free to text me at four2three-25eight-14eightfour or pm me if you have any of this stuff for sale. Would need to be shipped to 37814 if not local to that zip code!

•T25 turbo
•oil and coolant lines for t25
•stock intake plumbing and MAF
•stock bov
•stock intercooler and piping
•non dented water pipe
•stock flywheel/clutch
•non cruise control throttle cable

Good news!

A member here reached out to me with some stock parts for my dirty bird, so things will be moving along nicely! I’ll be buying those parts from him likely tomorrow evening, so that will be a t25 w/wastegate and lines, intercooler, piping, and gaskets taken care of. My 16g, FMIC, GM maf and translator, 880cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, and other various aftermarket parts will be up for sale in the next few days. Gotta gather everything up and do some cleaning. Let me know if you guys would like one of these parts, you get first dibs before I put them in the class fields!

More good news! I have allocated enough funds to purchase a longblock from a supporting vendor here in a few weeks. It’s going to be a stock 7 bolt long block, but I’m really not too worried about that. It will be a stock car anyway, so I won’t pop it with an FP black again

After the block gets purchased, I’ll be doing a full service and dropping it down into the talon. I want to refresh my engine bay paint, so I’m considering picking up some pewter blue pearl spray cans and clear coat to give it some nice fresh paint before the engine goes in. Things might slow down again after that due to funds once again, but I’ll only need a few more physical parts to buy and the parts buying process will be done! The most time consuming part is going to be figuring out where I left off and rechecking everything.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again - DON’T start a project unless you already have all the parts and an extra pile of money needed to finish it up. Don’t make the same mistake I did by getting too excited and start taking it apart before I was ready. This sucks but I’m eager to fix my mistake.

The last paragraph is a dam good one Charles. I understand it well. Keep up the work, we are watching you! :thumb:
Marty

Yeah I’m having to learn the hard way unfortunately, hopefully if any new dsm’ers see this, they’ll get to see the months turn into years that I’ve spent trying to fix my mistake, and learn from it the easy way!

Things should start moving a little more quickly here soon, I’m hoping to have this car back on the road by mid summer :)

I have 2 DSM's and a Small Block Chevy I am trying to do the same with, mid summer I hope for me also :pray:

@1990TSIAWDTALON here’s to hoping brother:pray:

Also, just received my stock parts care package from a fellow member! This is a great start to getting the accessories needed for the not-yet-aquired 7-bolt! For the first time in a long time, I have parts here ready to be cleaned and put aside awaiting an engine to be bolted to!

Attachments

• 09E3F66A-B078-46D1-990D-B3821941A8D8.jpeg
    09E3F66A-B078-46D1-990D-B3821941A8D8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
Man, I could build you a good 7 bolt but I don't have any good blocks. I have a crank, I THINK. Might need machining or I might be able to save it. Imma 1g guy so quite abit of those odd and ends that I've thrown together but the only 2g block has a cracked cylinder.
These motors are easy for me to build but shipping sure costs alot to get them back and forth.

Well if any of you have wanted this car since following the build thread, now might be your chance. I’m considering selling it and all the parts together as a package deal. That means the car, disassembled engine, spare parts, turbos, everything dsm I have in my garage.

send me an offer via pm if interested

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back