The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay I got a good bit of work done tonight. I removed the turbo and all associated equipment. Things are going great so far. I'm pretty eager to see what shape the bottom end is in. At this rate I'll have the motor pulled in a week or so. Here's some progress pictures!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oh man how I love 2g talons.. Probably because theyre so rare in and around Philadelphia... Looks great. I like a more subtle wheel (I have evo 8 enkies) but overall such a nice car

This thread is why I love the DSM community. Bro has a down car and within an hour, two members of the community reach out with offers to help. Good on ya fellas :thumb:

DSM'ers are for the most part good to each other in that sense. I agree with you!

I wish DSM guys were like this here in Colorado, but there's very, very few that are this great.

also buy sandwhich bags and a sharpie. Label everything.

Only buy oem timing stuff, The belt you can go gates and be fine.

Yeah I actually use the sandwich bag method, I also use large sheets of cardboard to stick the bolts through and label them that way. I've found it to be useful, especially if there are several different length bolts in one particular part or piece of the motor.

Hello all,

Sorry for the big delay. I've been caught up in work a lot lately and haven't gotten to work on the Dirty Bird. Plans are still on schedule though, currently have some cash stowed away for the forged bottom end! I'm debating on a stroker bottom end of some sort as I really would like to have a decently usable power and for the occasional backroad drive. Any suggestions?

Small update on the progress.

Having some trouble saving cash for a new motor/motor parts since I had to use my saved up money for other things :sigh:

Bothersome, yes. The end of the world, no. Still wanting to get this car going ASAP because I'm tired of seeing it sit! If anybody knows of a shortblock or internals being sold for cheap let me know!

What block do you want. Shoot me a PM with your number if it's different. I'll text the one you posted here.

Okay so I have something happening soon that could allow me to get this motor build underway finally. Nothing set in stone, but I have a good feeling.

When I have all the parts, I'll be doing a series of picture heavy posts showing the parts, the installation, and the finished result!

I apologize for the lack of posts lately, I just haven't been able to get around to the ol dsm due to life circumstances. Hoping to get things moving again and be able to take her out in the snow again:)

Update! Finally some parts progress!

So after going back and forth between buying a running motor and building the one I have, I just decided to rebuild it. I got a good price on these and have ordered some Evo 8 rods and Pistons from Cory at STM. They were pulled from an OEM shortblock and are pretty much brand new.

Now I'll be needing a crankshaft, bearings, head gasket, head studs, and a timing kit. More to come, feels great to get some stuff for the DSM!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Evo Pistons and rods are officially in my possession! They're in amazing shape (which they should be, they're new after allLOL), and I'm currently working on the ol DSM. I have to disconnect the driveline and the passenger axle now and she will pull right up. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
The engine is officially out of the car! I spent a few hours after work today to pull her out and start stripping the accessories off of it in preparation for disassembly.

I've noticed some bolts and things either missing or completely un-tightened throughout the entirety of the engine and trans itself. I'll touch more on those tomorrow when I post pictures up. The ol DSM is one step closer to being back on its feet and spooling, I'm satisfied:)

So after some time thinking while wrenching on the DSM, I've come to the conclusion that making this car into a straight line speed build isn't really what I'm wanting to do. Call me sappy, but I think I was thinking about carving up those smoky mountain roads in the old dsm with a 16g that made me miss driving a smaller turbo powered car. So with that said, the tides of this build are gonna change a little bit. I'm now rethinking some modifications and adjusting my build list as we speak. The cars main focus will be handling, but still quick on its feet - like my last Talon. Power goal is somewhere near 300-350hp.

So the Black will have to find a new home soon, and a lucky 16G will find a new home in my engine bay before too long. Stay tuned!

I fully support this decision. This is exactly where I am going with my "build" haha I mean my totally drive able DSM that doesn't just need to run at the strip. WHAT? CREATURE COMFORTS?! Blasphemy! No interior in race car. Haha that's why I don't want a race car. I am full weight, all options. Full creature comforts (currently not running ac compressor) but system is fully charged and works, just change the belt back. I rather enjoy actually driving the car once in a while, IDK maybe road trip to someplace cool like mitsubishi owners day.

Weird I can get good reliability out of my drivetrain and trans because my goals are like 300hp? That's not enough for you? well that's neat its my car LOL. One of my buddys was saying the other day that I have such a setup on a t25 and I was posing to be a fast car.. nope. just a bad ass quick car. I just got link and a AFR gauge because I am installing that stuff and playing with it well before I will be playing with a larger turbo setup. I have a 14b for my car, but I am currently not sure if I want to swap to the 14b or just go for a 16g.. I actually think I would be happy with the 14b even if it is a bit less power its got great spool. I am more interested in autoX than quarter mile.

If I get real real I think I might just shoot for 250hp and remain well below pushing components. I want good spool and low end less worried about top end. How often driving on the street does a reasonable person that likes their license use top end anyway?

Last edited:
I fully support this decision. This is exactly where I am going with my "build" haha I mean my totally drive able DSM that doesn't just need to run at the strip.

Good to see somebody agrees. Absolutely no disrespect for the plentiful fast DSM's, but for my own personal goals 350hp is going to be plenty enough to pull me out of corners well:) I think I've got a deal set up for a trade, and if all goes as planned I'll post the progress here and hopefully get some stuff done in time for summertime drives in the mountains!

Okay so I've landed myself a s16g that will be headed my way Monday. I'll be purchasing some parts in the meantime also. So here's what my list is looking like:

-s16g
-stock style o2 housing
-timing components
-crankshaft (depending on condition of mine)
-engine bearings
-engine gaskets
-mls head gasket
-head studs
-manifold to head mounting hardware

That's a rough list of material parts, I still need to disassemble the block and do a thorough cleaning to remove any metal shavings. Then I need to clean up the transmission and put a nice coat of silver engine enamel on it, It's pretty dirty. Lots of work to do, so I'll hopefully keep this thread updated regularly.

Hell yea. I enjoy big power but u can't beat a fast spooling 16g. Heck even the 14b is a fun little turbo. I may suggest goin with a composite headgasket as it's cheaper and would prefer this to get a beating over your cylinder head or block. Other than that your model list looks good! I have an evo 3 16g on my gsx and that thing pulls! Puts a smile on my face everytime.

Well more parts have been sold and more money is coming in to help fund this engine rebuild. I'll be on the lookout for a oem o2 housing and a flywheel because it turns out that my ACT flywheel has a broken tooth on it:toobad: if anybody's got any good used parts I need id be interested in seeing what you've got!

So before I spend all my money on buying engine refresh/rebuild parts, I just want to kind of see if there's anybody selling a good 7 bolt short block for temporary use. I really want to take my time rebuilding my split thrust, so spending $500 or so on a good short block to get the car running again for summer is okay with me. Please send me a message with anything you've got. I'd prefer it to be close to my zip code 37814 so I can pick it up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back