The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles greene

Proven Member
Dec 29, 2014
Morristown, Tennessee
Good day DSM'ers,

Its been a while but I will have another DSM this Saturday. This will be where I'll keep everybody updated on what goes on with the car! Took me a while to find the right one but I came across this car, and the owner is a really nice guy.

As the title states, the car is a 1998 Talon TSi AWD, 5 speed, cloth interior, sunroof, 137,xxx miles on the body and motor/trans, bolt on upgrades(except for a shep trans), and that's pretty much the gist of it. I'll supply some low quality pictures of it below, will take some good pictures with my go-pro when in my possession.

My plans for this car are fairly simple, I will do all maintenance to the car that is necessary, drive it for a bit to see what id like to change/improve upon, and go from there. Looking for no more than 400whp as I already have a racecar build in the process (3000GT VR-4).:p

I was hesitant to post up a build thread as I tend to get lazy with posts and often forget to take pictures... BUT I'm really excited for this addition to my garage and I am wanting to share it with you guys! Below are the previously mentioned low quality pictures, enjoy!

P.S. I have wheels already that will be going on the car pretty much as soon as it gets home. These will be for sale if anybody wants them!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the confetti interior! I think it keeps the 90's vibe alive and well with the car LOL

Well I picked the car up last night, did great on the 5 hour trip home! The car over all is in good shape, needs small stuff cosmetically and I believe it's losing a tiny bit of coolant from somewhere but that will all be taken care of promptly.

I'm happy overall to own a pretty rare example of a 2Gb Talon and I'm looking forward to sharing the build with everybody here! Pictures and full parts list come tomorrow, it's already dark and rainy here:cry:

So I started digging in the bay, this is the bay as it sat when I bought it
image.jpeg

the first thing I did is rip that garbage header wrap outta there and this is the aftermath

image.jpeg

It left gold dust EVERYWHERE! This is why quality wrap is always the best way LOL the manifold underneath is in good shape, no rust or cracks in sight, however one of the mani studs is broken off in the head:ohdamn: tomorrow I want to clean up the bay some with degreaser, some elbow grease and a little patience.

Found some time to do some much needed re-routing of vacuum hoses and wires. It looks SO much better now. Tomorrow it will get the bay detailed after work, and the body will get some attention from the buffer!
image.jpeg

The temporary new shoes came in! The König wheels are now officially for sale $300 with no tires and you pay shipping.
image.jpeg

In my opinion these wheels will flow better with the lines of the car than the ones on it now, will post pictures as soon as they're on!

Washed her up a bit on my lunch break, new wheels will be on today!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Update for under the hood:

The PO had installed a 16g on the car, and when doing so, he permatex'd the crap out of the J-pipe to turbo gasket and now I've sprung a major boost leak that needs to be addressed. Will be ordering vacuum hose, new j-pipe gasket, and some plug wires next week. til then, I'll see what I can do to aid the leak and just go from there. I have a spare set of headlights from a previous dsm that I'd like to take apart and clean up, so I will likely post that up sooner than the other stuff.

Other than the problems listed the car runs flawlessly, it doesn't smoke, leak any thing(majorly), no stuttering, and I'm pretty happy with my purchase! Just glad to be back into a DSM:)

I am compiling a list of wants though, if you have any of the below items feel free to dm me and let me know what you want for them!

-punishment FMIC Kit flanged for GReddy BOV
-half radiator kit
-AEM digital boost, wideband, and oil pressure gauges
-triple gauge pillar pod in black
-272 cams
-oil catch can setup
-rear Evo calipers
-feal coilovers

IMG_2895.JPG
Great looking car. I have one just like it same year and sub model only in red. I love it and the rarity of it is very surprising as well

Very nice Talon! Love the red, I'd have preferred white with mine but the gray is growing on me!

Also, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my Apexi cat back exhaust for a unit without a can. Something similar to the STM cat back. I liked the look of the can with the 2ga bumper but it seems to bulky for my taste on the 2gb. If anybody has anything let me know!

Last edited:
Very nice Talon! Love the red, I'd have preferred white with mine but the gray is growing on me!

Also, I'm tossing around the idea of trading my Apexi cat back exhaust for a unit without a can. Something similar to the STM cat back. I liked the look of the can with the 2ga bumper but it seems to bulky for my taste on the 2gb. If anybody has anything let me know!
Thanks! And yeah I love the red and white would be my second choice. I like the colour of your car because it makes it look low profile and then once you see it up close it looks gorgeous!

Looking to get it repainted this spring back to 100% so that will be awesome to see it flawless on the outside!

Nice! Would you do it yourself or get it professionally done? And what colour would you do? Do you know how much it would cost as well?

I will have a friend who works with paint and body work redo the car in the factory color with lots and lots of clear coatLOL will cost me about $400 just because he knows me! I'm tossing around a few neat ideas with the black paint at the top half of the car. Might use the same blue metallic flake in the black as in the gray. I LOVE metallic flake, and I think it would be something neat to have in this build.

Nice! Would you do it yourself or get it professionally done? And what colour would you do? Do you know how much it would cost as well?
professional might be relative I tend to do better work on my dsm than shops that have worked on it because its my car and I care about the quality of work that goes into it..

love the new wheels charles. awesome choice

Thank you I appreciate it! Not a bad choice for a temporary wheel if I do say so myself. Gives me good perspective on the width and offset for my next wheels. Going to be 2/3 piece forged wheels built to a custom spec!

Been looking for a while for some nice wheels and I have friends who are sales reps for different high end wheel companies. One for Avant Garde and one for Work Wheels Japan, so I'll likely end up with one of the 2 considering I get discounts:p it's pretty much deciding between these two wheels:
image.jpeg

I love this directional style wheel, now I won't be running such a ridiculously wide, ridiculously colored, or aggressive offset wheel like pictured, but it would still be a very cool addition to the talons already aggressive body lines if I decide on it.
image.jpeg

My 2nd choice is a classic that I'm sure some of you recognize. I've always loved these wheels and hopefully one day can run them on one of my cars, if not this Talon:)

The wheels for now will have to wait though, still have a lot to do with the engine bay, tuning, body, and interior before I bust out 2k on some wheels and tires.

Yeah that number was really just an estimate, my friend can really help me out on pricing so I can get them for ALOT less than a regular customer, which helps because tires can get expensive too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back