The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1998 Eagle Talon ESi and 1995 Eclipse GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White92Dyl

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2016
New paris, Indiana
Hey guys! I'm new here and new to the DSM world. Got a 1998 Eagle Talon ESI real cheap. Finally got it to the point that it's safe to drive. As far as I know nothing has been done to it at all. I wanna start tuning it up. Putting some aftermarket parts on it and build my way to a turbo. Or can I put a smaller turbo so I don't have to upgrade everything else as much? Any advice for anything and everything is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys.

Dude you won't want to hear this but you are strongly advised not to waste your time and money tuboing a 420a. You can get a bone stock turbo DSM for about $2-3000 nowadays. Turn your esi into a reliable daily driver and save up for a Tsi :beatentodeath:

What he said, not worth it to build up a 420a. However, since the 98 was the last Talon produced, if you awd 4g swapped it, that would be cool. But don't get in over your head, man. Best advice - leave it be, drive it till it dies and save up for a factory 4g side project.

I just bought a Eclipse GST today parts car with motor all torn apart already.

Money isn't really an issue with me. Idc about swapping it to awd right now. I'm going to start building this other GST motor I just got.

This the parts car I just bought for 200.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 95
From what I read up on about the swaps, it's not really a straight forward swap. The chassis looks the same but the motors are pretty much facing in opposite directions and it won't be a bolt up affair. Some fabrications will be needed, alot of things won't line up. My take on it is to just go ahead sell both the cars you have now and get a gst/gsx/tsi if u want a turbo DSM. But to each his own and I'm sure the community here will have lots to offer :) if u go the swap route.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Thanks for the replys. From what I can see its alllll there. The guy forgot to give me the turbo I'm getting that today. And I have no title for it. I'm sure I'll have to buy little things. But when don't you almost always have to go back to the parts store.. I was thinking but the gst back together. The motor is completely torn out of it already and everything from those front fenders and bumper are in there. It's completely gutted. Things missing from it are door panels and driver seat that I know of right now. where should I start? Lol never done a rebuild. Been waiting till I got me the car I wanted. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the DSM world. You will find this site is a great resource as long as you are polite and play by the rules. No reason to start calling names. All these guys are correct. No point in swapping into a 420a, you can make your grandpas lincoln AWD if you try hard enough. Daily the 420, buy a GSX or TSI AWD and swap your new motor into it. We are only saying this to help you.

Title 42 is easy enuf
Where I live tons of turbo 2gs pop up at salvage, finding parts is not difficult by any means, most the time the 4g63 is complete as well. Plenty of things you are gonna be researching and everything you need to know pertaining to resurrecting that Gst is on this forum. Good luck!

Definitely get that title. If it's missing a ton of interior stuff, I would focus on getting that GST engine running and then swap your esi interior into it.

Like others have said: work with the 4g63 instead of that 420a motor.

As for the awd, it's not really necessary on a daily driver. Yes I have awd, but I would be just as happy with a GST or tsi. More moving parts that wear out and cost money to replace.
I have a 46 mile, one-way commute 5 days a week

Great community and fun cars. I'm on my 5th one if you include my v6 96 Dodge Avenger.

Get the title for sure, I bought a cbr 600 f4i from a guy way back. He never switched the title over to his name but the guy he bought it from submitted the release of liability form to the state so there was a paper trail of the sale. I never checked the guy's ID I bought it from and assumed it was from him... Not the case and since he never switched the title the state never got their taxes. I had to pay his back taxes switch the title into his name and get a power of attorney (legal document) then the title was mailed to me in his name and I had to take the title and power of attorney back to the dmv pay the taxes again and then it was finally over.

You might want to make sure it doesn't have a lien on it or that it is not stolen before you get too involved with it.

And there are a bunch of AWD swap threads when and if you decide to go that route.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back