The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (420A) car keeps shutting off (In need of help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmJessy

Probationary Member
Mar 12, 2021
Bell, California
I need help. My 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs keeps turning off while im driving or even when I'm at a stop light. I changed the fuel pump. ASD relay, Starter, Pcv Valve. Any suggestions as to what it can be? My car did throw 2 codes P0442 and P1776 can these be the reason why my cars shuts off? I've noticed that it idles weird as well. When my car turns off it slows down then shuts off. As it shuts down all the Lights turn on check engine, Oil light , etc. Car runs good but at times it can shut off. This is too dangerous. I need help finding a solution.

P0442 - Evaporative Emission System Leak (Small Leak)
P1776 - Manufacturer control

Last edited:
does it do it all the time,
or
when the engine is cold,
or
when the engine is warm?

does it do it all the time,
or
when the engine is cold,
or
when the engine is warm?
Yes it does it all the time. Both when the engine is cold and warm. Or even while I'm driving the car will just shut off completely. Yesterday I changed the camshaft sensor. The car only shut off when I let it warm up a bit. Please help.

As it shuts down all the Lights turn on check engine, Oil light , etc.
That happens every time the engine shuts off while the ignition is still switched on. So that part is normal.

You may want to check all the vacuum lines for your EVAP system and EGR system. Although a vacuum leak wouldn't cause this specific issue, it's definitely a catalyst to the problem. There should be a vacuum diagram sticker under your hood. Most of those plastic hoses are brittle by now and should be replaced or repaired using rubber hose.

I have a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Auto Trans. My car keeps shutting off while idling and while driving. I replaced Fuel Pump, Starter , Pcv Valve , ASD relay , Camshaft sensor , Idle Air Control Valve, New Radiator with new coolant, brand new oil pan and transmission pan with new fluids. I bought a new EGR valve, can this be the problem why? Although Fuel Injectors have not been changed. Can the fuel Injectors cause the car to shut off? My car a month ago threw two codes P0442 - Evap Leak (small leak) , can this be the MAIN reason why the car shuts off even while driving? I would appreciate all the responses because my car has a lot of potential and I hate experiencing my car just die out while warming up and while driving or even at a stop light/sign. Has about 207,000+ miles on it and still running like a champ because I do all the maintenance on time and with the best products.

i dont think an evap leak would cause your engine to die.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs Non-turbo . Automatic transmission keeps dying out while on a stop light. I replaced Idle Air Control Valve , coil pack , ignition coils , ASD relay , fuel pump with brand new filter , new crankshaft sensor below the belt , camshaft sensor , Throttle body sensor , serviced the throttle body , brand new thermostat with water outlet. The car keeps dying while at a stop light or while pressing the brakes. Please help. I do all oil changes on time and change new oil filter and new oil pan and gasket. Please send some recommendations. I’m going crazy with this car. I would really appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you.

Does it start right back up after it dies?

Yes it does. It was my fuel pump. It was bent from the top and not allowing fuel into the lines.

My car does turn off while at a cold start. What can that be ? I replaced idle air control valve and brand new fuel pump assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My car does turn off while at a cold start.

I'm not sure what you are trying to describe. I'm not much of a 420A person but maybe I can help clarify the issues so someone who is can provide an answer.

I'm not sure what you are trying to describe. I'm not much of a 420A person but maybe I can help clarify the issues so someone who is can provide an answer.
My car dies out 3 times at the first time I turn on my car in the morning. My car does rough idle when I’m driving. I replaced everything you can think of. Fuel pump , asd relay , new coil pack , new ignition coils, serviced the throttle body cleaned it up really well. Any suggestions? As so solve the problem of my car dying ? While driving and while first turning it on ?

I didn't see all the other threads you created on your car until this afternoon. I've merged them all together since they document various aspects of you trying to fix it's issues and they are all related to what still left.

Did you find the fix for your problem? im currently having the same issue you describe with my 420a rs

Thanks a lot for the reply, im glad your car is running again.
I've already changed the same sensors and i took my ecu to a repair shop before because my dad messed it up, so i guess i have to check it out. It's hard not to love these cars

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back