The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1997 GSX build wire tuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbie

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2005
newcastle, Europe
OK I finally decided to share what I have been up to.
My goal or goals is to have a nice clean engine bay wire tuck and as minimalistic as can be.
I'm going the 16G route for now, but with a bit luck going with the holset route in the not do distant future.

Ok on with the pics

here is how the engine bay looked
006copyg.jpg

And as if by magic engine out.
016qk.jpg

Now to strip the bay and start filling all the gaps i think i don't need :D
turbo1004.jpg

turbo1002copy.jpg

carbuild004.jpg

carbuild003.jpg
carbuild002.jpg

After spending way too much time sanding and filling i eventually got to painting. First the undercoat
003eg.jpg

002joo.jpg

001rl.jpg

Then the base coats and lacquer.
004sdj.jpg

003oyn.jpg

002lxf.jpg

001qto.jpg

I'm going to leave it at that. Next time ill be adding the brake lines and cross members. Thanks for looking.

Ok found some time before bed. Mocked up some brackets for the front mount inter cooler and the EVO oil cooler, yep im going with the EVO oil filter housing.
The first pictures are of a simple strip of metal to hold the oil cooler. Not much i can say about this really.
0042yo.jpg

0062jf.jpg

If you look hard at this pic you can see i've got the oil cooler attached with mole grips just to see how i want it to sit.
007copycopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to start on the brackets for the EVO front mount intercooler.
First i made a template.
004iwf.jpg

Then transferred it onto some steel and cut it out with a nibbler.
003jxt.jpg

008azw.jpg

Then into the vice to shape it and bend it into shape.
010cfh.jpg

011ctm.jpg

Then i sized up the intercooler to the front of the car. As you can see i have already made the top bracket.
001abbp.jpg

My trusty old Clark MIG and the brackets welded.
015tgs.jpg

013dyr.jpg

014ldt.jpg

Just in case your wondering every thing will be cleaned up on the final fit.

Ok i know its a bit of a jump but i got most of my brake pipes fitted and the sub frames. Heres a few pics i managed to take.
203pf.jpg

202mhz.jpg

201av.jpg

200ip.jpg

199pu.jpg

198kv.jpg

As you might see I'm planning running the power steering hoses under the drivers side chassis rail and making a protective metal cover.

Last edited:
I haven't done them yet, same as the rear brake lines. I think i can do them later with the engine in the car.

Yeah not sure what size on the fuel line though. Going to have to do a bit research. :thumb: ill be doing braided with AN fitting.

Nice you did a better job than I did on mine but I know i will not keep my DSM forever I will eventually sell it and get an AWD or keep both.:D

Yeah I'm kind of going off of the highly polished look and leaning towards the used race car mean look :sneaky:

Ok started on the wiring.
This is how it looked just as i striped the wiring loom tape off.
016sop.jpg

Here I've tried tidy the wires, and sort the different sensors into places i wanted them to go. I also had to extend some wires, and shorten others, depending on which side of the car i wanted them to go through.
018copyx.jpg

I'm attempting to mount the coil pack on the back of the engine. It just so happened i had this bracket laying around.
019uk.jpg

And with a little help from an old suspension insert, and using the AC pump bracket holes, i think im just about there.
(Just shows you should not throw anything away).
018ir.jpg

And this is what I'm hoping it will look like when in the car:pray:
016ar.jpg

And from the top.
017dx.jpg

Dont take any notice of the cam cover. All that will be cleaned and painted.
I'm also going to wrap the wires up in tape and what not, but i need to do a trial fit on the car with the engine in, just to make sure nothing needs extending or otherwise.
Just before i wrap this up for the time being, heres some goodies i got from you guys over there.
First some north and south roll stops from blackgst
020tor.jpg

And the usual engine mounts.
022re.jpg

Wow I'm so jealous that's looking so clean keep up the great work can't wait to see more

I also ran my power steering lines thru the same spot. You will love it, though, you deleted the hole where mine come up. Where you planning on having them return into the bay?

looks good man keep it up and keep the pics coming..

you should do a cheap COP set up. looks super clean and is retarded easy and cheap.

Hey guys sorry, i did not realize people had responded LOL. Thanks for the kind words. In response for the power steering. I'm hopping to thread them down between the fire wall and the east west cross member, and under (along) the chassis rail if that makes sense. I've Been having a little gear box trouble which needs putting back together. Later this month well next week, I'll be ordering a clutch kit. Nothing fancy just an OEM one I think, and a timing belt kit. This will get the engine and transmission into the car. I'll try and add more pics later.

I agree, any updates? I like how you hid the coils on the backside of the block. I think I'm gonna use your idea :thumb: Since it has been awhile since your last update, would there be any heat issues for the coils being back there?

Any updates? Nice paint work. Your build is making my build look like crap! Right now I'm just cleaning the hell out of it, and removing what I don't need. I'm afraid to do this and screw up my paint, guess it can't hurt too bad if it isn't that nice to start!

I want to wire tuck eventually. I have to work up the confidence. One thing at a time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back