The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 1997 Eagle Talon 2gNT no spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgangler

Probationary Member
Dec 12, 2013
Greenwood, Indiana
Okay. Before I get the ole check this thread out I have spent the last two hours checking the forum for a solution.

I just picked up a 1997 Eagle Talon non-turbo 420a for a great price. The cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, ECU, and ignition coil have all been replaced by the guy I bought it from.

The car will start and run for a couple of seconds then quit. I lose spark. I have replaced the ASD relay and the fuel Pump relay. I have even jumped the ASD relay wires to bypass it and still no spark. I have 12 volts at the coil. The ECU is brand new. Any ideas??

Also where is my MFI relay located?

How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the plugs and if they are gapped correctly? Have you checked plug wires?

If you have checked and replaced everything associated with spark and it all checks out, you may want to do a compression test. Reason I say that is you say it runs for a couple seconds and dies, so compression test will shoe you how the cylinders are doing.

How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the plugs and if they are gapped correctly? Have you checked plug wires?

If you have checked and replaced everything associated with spark and it all checks out, you may want to do a compression test. Reason I say that is you say it runs for a couple seconds and dies, so compression test will shoe you how the cylinders are doing.

Definently check that.

Bad alternator ?

I did a compression test and more than enough compression on all cylinders. I have a spark checker and I lose spark while cranking.

What's more than enough compression than..? Guess I am confused as you say you lose spark while cranking, but the car will start for a couple seconds..

Check timing marks?? Start re-checking everything (cam sensor, crank sensor, and etc.) and all your grounds, has to be something you are missing. Last question, did you buy a new parts or used?

Have you checked the wires leading to the cam sensor? Then tend to get baked by the egr and melt. Also may wanna check and see if the ecu is going into safe mode where the car won't start because it thinks it is being stolen. Long shot I know. Try the wiring first, that is a big issue with no start and replacing issues.

Here is where I was at last diagnosis:

No spark
- no power at coil
- no signal at ASD (automatic shutdown relay) from computer
- jumped ASD relay with fusible jumper
- Had 12.5 volts at the coil but still no spark
- checked for signal at coil and had no signal
:banghead:

My next step was to check for all powers and grounds since I knew I had a new computer (SEE ATTACHED ECU CONNECTOR DIAGRAM)

On pin 43 I had 8.63 volts when checking with my DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)!!!

:confused:

I went to my other diagram (see attached ground diagram) and noticed that the cam, crank, and vehicle speed sensor all share the same ground through junction 4 connector A-83. This is located underneath the computer and the fuse panel in a plastic cover taped up with electrical tape held on by two 10mm bolts.

I verified that the ground to the junction was good, which is next to the computer on the fender well, and that I didn't have any chaffing wires.
:thumb:

Next I looked at the ground diagram and saw that pin 43 was the ground for the vehicle speed sensor which has a 8 volt reference from the computer...

I located the connector, I have a manual transmission, which was underneath the battery tray and I disconnected the VSS.

Reattached computer and battery and persistence paid off. I have a running vehicle!!!!!
Replaced VSS (80 dollars) and we are all good.

The VSS was grounding out causing the crank and cam sensors to do the same giving the computer no cam and crank signal thus no signal to the coil.

Attachments

• ECU connector.gif
    ECU connector.gif
    53 KB · Views: 1,284
  • A-83 location.gif
    A-83 location.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 649
  • Junction diagram.jpg
    Junction diagram.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Ground diagram.gif
    Ground diagram.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 400
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back