The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Autocross Build 1996 GSX Autocross/ Street Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September 17, 2016

Decided to get all my turbos together to compare them all finally, here’s some pics of everything!

My brand new MHI center section out of my 20g, this thing is gorgeous if I do say so myself, cant say enough about Justin Whitesells Quality of workmanship

20160917_175250_zps1oav6wnf.jpg

20160917_175302_zps2cjdujor.jpg

20160917_175324_zpsupsi83hf.jpg

He also ported the waste gate flapper to help with any boost creep which is notorious on these internally gated turbos,

20160917_180018_zpshft8j9pi.jpg

20g turbine housing opening

20160917_181037_zpssmetb9mf.jpg

14b turbine housing opening

20160917_181119_zpshayomecb.jpg

20160917_181649_zpsfejjlok9.jpg

Compressor sides all compared to each other, 14b left, 16g middle, 20g right

20160917_182653_zps103bcgbu.jpg

20160917_182711_zpslyeveh6l.jpg

20160917_182852_zpsovis6i3b.jpg

20160917_182841_zpsgyu5aftd.jpg

The 16g opening looks about 48.5mm

20160917_195248_zpsjrnhabyw.jpg

The 20g opening around 53mm

20160917_195317_zpsjt6j0ygh.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how much work some people will put into their cars! Impressive, definitely keep us updated.

Thanks So much man, those words really mean a lot, its a lot of fun getting to see everything come together every month, getting closer and closer!!

Awesome stuff!!!

This is going to be a really clean, well built car when you're done.

Excited to see where this goes.

That makes two of us, i cant wait to get this thing back together! its crazy that just under one year ago i was reading through your entire build thread and in return led to me getting my first dsm! hopefully one day youll be able to check it out in person and ill let you show me how to properly drive an Autocross Course haha

Great work, and glad you are sticking with it. Believe me, there have been many days where I was ready to sell everything. If you wrench on these cars for any length of time, you'll have plenty of those days.

Keep at it, and you'll be on the road before you know it.

Great work, and glad you are sticking with it. Believe me, there have been many days where I was ready to sell everything. If you wrench on these cars for any length of time, you'll have plenty of those days.

Keep at it, and you'll be on the road before you know it.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, the thought of just being done with it and parting it out have crossed my mind a couple times, but im trying to persevere and make one of the cleanest and most functional daily driver/race car i can manage! it is a lot of money and time but i hope it'll all be worth it in the end!!

Nice build man your not cutting any corners. Can I ask what you plan to run for fuel? 10.5:1 and a 20g doesn't exactly add up to pump gas only.

Very nice build journal! You picked out quite a nice canvas for your project. I will warn you, the DSM bug can become consuming and the build never-ending. Not only can I appreciate one that is willing to get their hands dirty, but also plans to DRIVE the car as well. Keep up the hard work as it will all be worth it once you get that first drive.

Nice build man your not cutting any corners. Can I ask what you plan to run for fuel? 10.5:1 and a 20g doesn't exactly add up to pump gas only.

Thanks man, im trying not to cut any corners, its definitely hard tho, not cutting corners costs a lot more then you would think! haha but onto your fuel question, i will mostly be running a E85 and some 91oct, lucky for me, i live about 10 mins away from the only e85 gas station within 40 miles of my house! so that was nice to find out, i will also be having a really good tuner to really help me tune out every aspect of simple daily driving maps and full throttle ones, i will be running a Flex fuel sensor as well on an Evo 8 ecu so that will help a lot with my fuel management and all that!
I will definitely try to keep you updated as well as keeping this build journal filled with as much information i can pack into it, im really hoping in the future i can do a lot of straight up comparisons between things, like swapping only one part for another to isolate variables in performance aspects such as only swapping out the FP Race Mani to a stock 2g and see what differences there are, swap the evo3 intake Mani for a stock 2g one, swap a 16g turbo to my 20g turbo on the dyno and see what the differences are, idk about you but I've always wanted to learn about those things, but i haven't found anyone else to do those direct comparisons yet, or maybe i just haven't looked hard enough, none the less, i really hope this build journal down the road can be a library of knowledge i will have obtained through my journey and can help others learn things, just as i have learned things and got new ideas reading through other guys build journals

sorry for the long reply, but i hope i answered your question in there somewhere! :cool:

Awesome build man, sorry i haven't seen it earlier.
Love the pics and detail at times it feels like im looking at my build mostly the areas i did not document.
You have some very supportive parents congrats not many can say the same when adding a dsm money pit in the pic, but its still a better habit than drugs or gambling.

Congrats on school, you appear to be a well driven man especially at your age.

What are the plans from now on your build?

Awesome build man, sorry i haven't seen it earlier.
Love the pics and detail at times it feels like im looking at my build mostly the areas i did not document.
You have some very supportive parents congrats not many can say the same when adding a dsm money pit in the pic, but its still a better habit than drugs or gambling.

Congrats on school, you appear to be a well driven man especially at your age.

What are the plans from now on your build?

thanks for all the kind words man, and my parents have been awesome, with out there support and garage space i probably wouldnt be building the eclipse right now, so its definetily a blessing, and my plans for the build are probably never going to stop, as @2gmitsueclipse said, the build is never ending, but mostly the big things left on my wishlist are a built trans, t case, one piece DS. built rearend, upgraded axles, coilovers, sway bars, all new poly bushings, lots of fuel upgrades, ctsv brakes, full rollcage, etc etc etc, way to much money i can tell you that much :D

Last edited:
September 29, 2016

Well after going through @greengoblin 's Build thread, I saw him clean up his wheel wells, and figured since I will be planning on daily driving mine for a while, I don’t want any rust to accumulate or start, so, I got a couple wire brush wheels for my pneumatic drill and went to town, be ready tho, this is VERY time consuming, 20 year baked on sealer from the factory doesn’t like to come off, and it is very messy, dust will definitely get everywhere!

My plan was to get the wheel wells to as bare metal as I could, check to see if I have any rust, and then proceed to spray the wheel wells with some etching primer, and then coat them with bedliner! After watching a Line ex commercial for trucks and how awesome that stuff is, I knew itd be perfect for helping to protect against rock chips, rust, or anything else I could throw at it!

Today’s progress, I was only able to clean up one side, from starting at jacking car up, removing wheels and all the suspension components in the wheel wells, to getting to one side stripped as best I could, took about 5 hours total! All in all im excited about getting the other side done tomorrow, and hopefully getting to lay some primer and bed liner on Saturday, we will see if I can stick to that timeline, and of course will let everyone know how my experience goes!

Heres some pics I snapped during the process

Before digging in

20160929_112421_zpszallkypl.jpg

Finally got the lower arms separated from the spindle, had to use my dads 10lb sludge hammer on the lower ball joints to pop them out, used the screw the nut back on a couple threads and go to town banging away, seemed to do the trick nicely!

20160929_115410_zps0h6kmnih.jpg

Got everything cleared out of the way, it was full of dirt and road grime, but heres a

Before

20160929_122231_zpsicvyisbk.jpg

After

20160929_174823_zpstwsctj5q.jpg

Heres one little patch of rust, doesn’t seem to be rusted through, just some surface rust from what I can tell, I hope when I spray the etching primer that will help stop the rust from getting any worse!

20160929_175104_zpsyv8bywac.jpg

Found some rust that went all the way through the inner layer, I put my finger there for a size comparison, could have been a lot worse when it comes to rust, I’ve seen the horror stories of the entire tower being rusted through so I was happy to see a small amount on mine

20160929_175126_zpsk283rfhb.jpg

And here are the only tools I used, for the larger patches of sealer ‘stuff’ I found it easier to use a hammer and chisel to knock away at bigger chunks and then came back with the wire wheels to fine clean up!

20160929_175448_zpsdrboid0a.jpg

And this was all I could sweep up, there was a lot that had blown away in the garage, but I wasn’t kidding when I said it was messy!

20160929_175356_zps9iilzqa0.jpg

September 29, 2016
Second update, for those of you that have read everything, you might remember that Evo III 16g i bought a while ago, after messaging the guy i bought it from, i was surprised but he actually worked out a deal with me and refunded me some of the money! so that was an awesome way to end my night! might go into trying to possibly get a billet extended tip 20g wheel and a tdo6 compressor cover after i get my build running and see if either of those upgrades have a significant effect on performance, so stay tuned for that as well!

I circled the area, from what I can tell it doesn't go all the way through to the engine bay side, only in the fender well! @greengoblin

Attachments

• 2016-09-30 18.52.01.jpg
    2016-09-30 18.52.01.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I circled the area, from what I can tell it doesn't go all the way through to the engine bay side, only in the fender well! @greengoblin
So my only concern it is possible that the rust is actually coming from the inside out. That area around your inboard upper control pick up point is a bit of a high stress area. It's made of several layers of sheet metal that are all tack welded and boxed together. It's also right under where a lot of people have strut tower rot. Make sure you take your time and explore the rust thoroughly and look closely up on top of the tower too. Often rust can be present but actually still be hidden under paint. Look for bubbles in the paint and the like. I'm not trying to scare you, only help you get it taken care of before thing go south. It might not be any worse than what you see but looking will not hurt.

Man i can't believe its been this long since i updated this thread.... a lot has happened in the last couple years, some good, but mostly bad unfortunately. its definitely been a journey and a learning experience for myself to say the least! I'm hoping to start doing regular updates to catch up to the present every weekend! For anyone following the build or interested in certain things check back sometime next week and ill try to get some more content going to track my build progress!

Cheers

Would love to hear where you are at with the build. Its been a few years I imagine a slew of changes have happened. Good or bad we would love to hear how things are going.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back