The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1996 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420ADaily

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2014
pueblo, Colorado
Hello, i have a 1996 eclipse RS..i took it in for a timing belt (it is my daily driver so i could not afford to take time to do it myself) and after it was done, it is accelerating better but in 5th it tops out at about 80mph. I have taken the car to 120mph before they did the timing belt. Question is..did they time my car incorrectly? what is going on? (belt was done about 4k miles ago now)

They possibly could have. Where did u take it? Was it a reputable shop? Either way, might have to take it to another shop to get it figured out.

I took it to an "import shop" and they usually work on Honda, Volkswagen, Volvo, ect. they misdiagnosed my car about 5 times for various problems (no problem was there..i guarantee they just wanted my money) so i'm taking it in tomorrow and trying to figure out what they did (or didn't do)

did the shop do anything more besides a timing belt job when you took it in to get the timing belt done??

sounds too me like it may be too far advanced timing-wise. if it was 1 tooth advanced each cam, then its possible. you could easily check it by pulling the inspection cover off and putting it at TDC, verify your timing marks.

will the car free-rev to redline in neutral? will it redline in any other gear? be careful checking this, i dont want you too blow your motor.

Car will redline in neutral, 1st and 2nd, i checked the timing and it is in fact off by 1 tooth! thank you!

when i did the timing on my engine about a year ago i had everything set and then found out my intake cam was 1 tooth off, one tooth in the retarded direction, causing the vacuum to be 2 inches lower than it should of been at idle. its a pain to get back in there to change it. but i did it anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back