The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1996 eclipse gst convertible...is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello fellow dsm fans!

I am currently considering picking up an other dsm 1. because I need more parts for my car and 2. it is cheap. The car at question is a 150k 1996 eclipse gs-t spyder auto trans. The body is relatively rust free, but it has a rattle can paint job and looks awful. The convertible top is ripped, but not beyond some stiching to fix. The engine underwent a "complete service" 3 years ago or 40k miles ago. Motor is stock minus some cheap airfilter. It runs and drives well, but the gasket around the water pump is leaking pretty bad, but other then that it is a running and driving dsm. He says he is willing to sell it for 700 which I think is reasonable. I'm thinking to use the turbo/intercooler for my current dsm project (1997 eclipse gst), but when I have the funds, then rebuild the convertible to something cool. Do you guys think this is worth it or should I pass?

As a spyder owner, I would highly recommend them. Food for thought, though, you may be able to replace the canvas top on them, but the convertible hardware is hard to come by.! Unlike the interior of the hatchbacks, rear seats and panels are hard to source, and if it’s anything like the top on mine.(my #2 bow has a broken bracket that I’ll most likely have to get custom made.) you will be strapped for parts for the roof. But considering the price isn’t that bad and that Atleast MOST of any year eclipse parts are usable I would do it.

As a spyder owner, I would highly recommend them. Food for thought, though, you may be able to replace the canvas top on them, but the convertible hardware is hard to come by.! Unlike the interior of the hatchbacks, rear seats and panels are hard to source, and if it’s anything like the top on mine.(my #2 bow has a broken bracket that I’ll most likely have to get custom made.) you will be strapped for parts for the roof. But considering the price isn’t that bad and that Atleast MOST of any year eclipse parts are usable I would do it.

When I bought my spyder, both sides snapped on me. I bought these and have been problem free since.
http://www.topsdown.com/1996-1999-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Spyder-convertible-frame-repair-kit-p1098.html

Sounds like a very good buy. Is there any way you could post a pick of this top you say can be repaired with a little stitching ... Obviously your talking about hand stitching . The top would have to come off the frame to sew it on a sewing machine.

Sounds like a very good buy. Is there any way you could post a pick of this top you say can be repaired with a little stitching ... Obviously your talking about hand stitching . The top would have to come off the frame to sew it on a sewing machine.

The add doesn't really have any clear pictures of it, but I'll go take a look at it in the next few days and then post some better pics.

so if you buy it I'd be interested in the engine if you aren't planning on using it! youre not too far from me, id make that road trip haha

I'll have to see if I want to sell the motor. I'm looking for a daily driver and now that it is almost summer time, I might just end up repainting the car and make it look nice.

I was a bit concerned about finding parts for a spyder, but I agree that for 700 it would be a good buy. I'm thinking possibly making a custom roll bar/cage and then maybe buy a generic convertible soft top fabric and make like a hard top/ soft top? Idk LOL

I paid $800 for my 98 GS-T Spyder, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I replaced the top myself with a new one, it only took me about 10 hours total and it looks great. If it has a bad paint job you can always dip the car for a few hundred dollars.

I paid $800 for my 98 GS-T Spyder, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I replaced the top myself with a new one, it only took me about 10 hours total and it looks great. If it has a bad paint job you can always dip the car for a few hundred dollars.

I'm a little skeptical with plastidipping, but I guess it wouldn't be that bad.

I'm a little skeptical with plastidipping, but I guess it wouldn't be that bad.
Plastidip isn’t all that bad and actually can hold up. Now yes, it may appear to be “textured” and can somewhat be a pain to remove, but it’s a decent alternative to rough looking paint and you can be creative about it with different colors and such. I sprayed my 96’s side skirts and door caps 3-4 years ago and it’s still holding strong.(though faded compared to when I first put it on.)

Not to mention expensive......
There’s a price to pay to be unique, especially for a new one of a kind item but I can’t see it being more than a grand for the fiberglass version and people spend that much on hoods or wheels alone. Lol.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.. the tops are relatively easy to replace (I did mine a couple months ago, did a full write-up here on tuners for it as well). There's nothing better than cruising around in the summer in a 2G Spyder..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back