The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1995 GSX with ABS, broken wheel lug stud, how to replace/repair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver71

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2012
Sartell, Minnesota
I've spent the last hour browsing threads in hopes to come across what I'm looking for, but alas, here I post.

1995 Eclipse GSX, with ABS.

Unfortunately, I've already found out that I'm in more trouble for having ABS...

I have a broken wheel hub lug stud on my rear passenger side.

At first, I thought I could do this repair, as it only entailed removing the wheel, the caliper, the disc, hammering out the old stud and pulling in the new stud.

Now all this nonsense I read about having ABS has me worried :sosad:

Is this something I should tackle in the garage, or take it to a mechanic? I don't have presses or pullers or slide hammers or anything fancy. Or would it be cheaper in my case to simply buy a new hub assembly, that I could probably install myself?

Are there any links to writeups/how-to's or videos for my specific issue that doesn't involve destroying my ABS system?

I'd really hate to pay a mechanic $400 to fix this...or whatever the cost may be :cry:

Guidance please?

If its like any other vehicle with ABS its just a tone ring on the axle shaft or cv shaft, you should be able to replace the stud just like a non ABS vehicle... this is coming from a jeep guy that pulled my ABS from it... its just tone rings and sensors

I replaced all of the studs on a 2G with ABS without removing any hubs. The only added issue in the rear was the parking brake. Either take a picture or have the FSM handy to remind you how to put all the little springs, etc, back on.

Note: you can even go to slightly-longer-than-OE studs without pulling the hubs. In the front, you can go to full 3" ARPs, of course, because there is tons of room. In the rear, you can only go to slightly longer studs if you don't plan to remove the hubs. Unfortunately, I can't find the slightly-longer-than-OE studs any more.

In short: if you're just replacing the one stud with a new OE stud, it's pretty easy, even in the rear.

Whew! Good news!

I got ahold of the local Mitsubishi dealership to ask their price on replacing all 5 and they quoted me ~$140 for parts, labor and tax.

Do it myself for under $20!

And, in the spirit of embracing the DSM culture, I do have a repair manual coming in the mail :thumb:

What would be the benefit of going for longer hub studs?

What would be the benefit of going for longer hub studs?

Being able to run spacers (and certain thick-centered wheels) safely. Some racing organizations also require that the lug go all the way through the nut.

And don't forget: because race car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back