The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1995 GSX Project "RedSun" Restore then Gymkhana

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank you! All of the support in this has fueled and helped motivate me to stick with it. I can't wait to get the timing kit and finish out the last chapter of maintence.

Keep up the good work bro. It will pay off in the end. :)

My timing kit is almost here! I can't wait to jump right into it as soon as it gets here!

BIG thanks to Bruce! ( hope he's reading)

I've been lurking all over STMs website and I can't wait to click place order for all the goodies coming in the next big update. Gonna add some tasteful gauges, and start aiming in the direction of tuning, with the mentorship of a few pals :)

Started on doing my own timing today, and lets just say I was less than 50% successful at setting the timing properly. With VFAQ, DSMtuners, friends and google at my disposal it wasnt suprising that I still couldnt get the damn timing to be dead on like I think its supposed to. Also I set the damn Tension Pulley incorrectly, I left out the step where you loosen the bolt on the pulley and have the pin holes facing at the 10 o clock position.

Oh An Amazing Discovery about my Mishimoto Radiator! It came with a very powerful magnetic drain plug, and it was holding onto and allowed the draining of ALOT of nasty stuff. SMART BUY!

I had al the best intentions though, I have the new waterpump installed even though the old one looks damn near brand new. The timing jump was caused by a failed Auto Tensioner. I replaced ALL of the pulleys inside and am replacing all of the acc belts, as soon as I near completion. Zip ties worked pretty good until I applied tension to the belt LOL. I think my plan of attack tomorrow night is going to be plain and simple.

Remove the auto tensioner, reset it, set the tension pulley correctly, and see if my timing marks look any better at TDC. If it is all the same then well I'll have to explore other options. I've invfested far too much into this already to give up now.

Soon after this debacle is over I will be purchasing the following, shoot me a PM and let me know what you think of these choices.

Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge (Carbin Fiber)
Autometer Voltameter Gauge (Cabin Fiber)
Autometer A Pilar dual pod
OEM Mitsubishi Evolution oil cap
Mishimoto Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
Buscher Exhaust Manifold Heat Sheild (Polished)

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels great to be driving the redsun again. Of course I need to make some adjustments. Clutch engagement is too ackward. Lower timing cover is rubbing. Biss screw could be on its last and this bov flutter has goto go.
d03605b0-e33b-6427.jpg

Big thanks to STM for the OEM parts fast shipping and good advice as well.

d03605b0-e3eb-baf8.jpg

Still working out some kinks. Especially with the idle. Possible vacuum leaks and I really need to hunker down and get that boost gauge! Here's a picture from the finish line of a local car cruz. And DSM meet on oahu

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334401565656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334401565656.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 107
I've been working really hard lately trying to track down all the vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks and after I get my BLT I'm sure I'll find some of those as well. Overall the car performs close to what I expected, but of course as a work in progress I cant let the little things discourage me. I am dead set in getting this car to what I want it to be.

My updates have been small and sparatic because I dont have a computer anymore to type up nicer looking updates, but I'm sure you'll live with the ones I post. I never expeted to have so many views or reads, so I feel very obligated to give you guys hard, meaty updates as often as possible with no bull.

Anyway another test flight is about to happen after some more adjustments, and replacements of bolts, nuts and washers. My belts no longer sqeak, my major exhaust leak although is still there is no smaller than before. And I really wish I could build up around getting that boost gauge LOL. But maintence must come first... need gas door pop clip.. STM here I come

Compression Test Complted:
120, 120, 120, 120 and then the timing cover.

Aspect facing engine bay from front.

I'm enjoying this build. It's good to see someone with modest goals working towards getting the car running well on a budget. Wish I was there, would love to have shown you all the timing belt tricks and a free-ish balance shaft removal to boot. My best DSM advice is to do all your mods yourself with mentorship. It's a DSM; you're going to eventually have to redo everything because these cars are so reliable ROFL . By the way, you an Army guy too?

Yep, Army active duty. I appreciate the support from all you guys and gals out there. And I'm glad you among others like the build!

I have to look into rechecking the timing again to make sure that my timing is in fact dead on. Gonna have to find some dsmer eyes to fall on it. The compression numbers are bothering me.

yeah those numbers are kinda low but its rare to have all of them low uniformly like that, probably a faulty gauge. How exactly did you do the compression test? If another gauge is not available, I would try a dry test again with the engine at running temperature then I would do a wet test to confirm. The wet test is exactly the same as a dry test but you pour about 1 teaspoon of engine oil into the spark plug hole before you install the tester. Crank over for 6 rotations and see what you've got. Be forewarned, It'll smoke like a mug till that oil is burned out; should only take a minute to clear up.

If a dry test is performed in this manner and you still have 120, then a wet test returns 145-160s, it's indicative of possible ring issues. If a different gauge doesn't confirm your compression higher, I'de find someone who can do a leakdown test to find out what the culprit is (rings, head gasket, intake or exhaust valves)

I definatly am. After meeting up with other dsms finally and not feeling like the only one on oahu. It definatly reinforced why I have this car and am doing what I'm doing :)

Obama can't gymkhana

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334724115461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334724115461.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,026
I ordered a stock SMIC from ebay the other day. I hope it gets here soon because my halfass job of patching my current smic I forgot about awhile ago, I realize is heavily leaking air when building boost. I knew something was off when I could hear air loud as hell on the passenger side. BOV flutter I need to look into.

My logging hardware will be here soon and although I have many doubts about it I figure why the hell not! Never trying something is the same as failing in my book. It will be a nice step in preperation for openport, and ceddymod.

Later tonight ill snap some pictures for you all, and yeah I'm still waiting for many reasons to get that damn boostgauge

I have a small feeling that my intercooler is the cause of my low compression, not enough air is making into the system during the tests. And not enough air is present during startup of the car for it to start in one go.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

By pretty sure, I mean very sure.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

By pretty sure, I mean very sure.

Lol I'm sure too I just read what I wrote, my brain is fried argh

Edit I fixed it LOL. Time for a nap and then back to slaving

So recently I purchased the Torque app from google play marketplace for droid, as well as the ELM327 from ebay. When I first about about this app and product I was extremely skeptical but a lot of the myth and mystery behind it all was debunked. Ill write a full review on it later. Ill also post up my logs here from time to time so you can all see what I've seen all day today.

I do say one thing though. It has me super curious and wanting more better and more detailed logging outside of the ability of my phone and app.

My opinions of detailed tuning and engine monitoring and managment has sharply changed into the other direction. Now I wanna know everysingle detail about what and how my motor is doing full spectrum.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335064759026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335064759026.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 120
I have an unhealthy obsession for my GSX. Whenever I am out I take photos of it in hopes that I can place it in my build journal here. I feel as though if you can see what I see, through my photos in various ways. You can get a better feeling as to where this restoration and build up is headed. Not only to follow along with performance upgrades and maintence updates, but also blow by blow as new scratches, dings, dents and roadgrim come into play with it.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335093244487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093244487.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 981
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335093260611.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093260611.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 971
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335093271337.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093271337.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 965
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335093317707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093317707.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 107
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335093340137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093340137.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 123
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335093358731.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335093358731.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 134
Finally got my plates in!

I know a lot of you are wondering why my updates have been more random and not so full of content; less organized. My daughter destroyed my laptop, so my updates come from my wifes desktop when she allows me to use it and my phone through taptalk.

I would have another laptop by now and would be typing up my updates and editing them through MS word but I can't :(

Sorry if this is an annoiance to any of you, I know it bothers me. I like having them indexed and chaptered out for easy nav and organizational purposes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335580683512.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335580683512.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 119
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back