The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1995 Eclipse won't come out of gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slillo88

Probationary Member
Oct 14, 2021
AZLE, Texas
I have a 1995 eclipse 5spd turbo. On my way home the car got stuck into 4th. While sitting on the side of the road lots and lots of jiggling was able to get it out of fourth gear. Shortly thereafterwards I had hit fifth and it slipped into fifth and I have not been able to recover it from there.

Also I noticed when I got it home my shift linkage was super loose when I disconnected the linkage I still could not get the transmission in or out of gear

Also I noticed when I got it home my shift linkage was super loose when I disconnected the linkage I still could not get the transmission in or out of gear
Pull the three detent bolts and springs and balls on the front side of the trans (radiator side). Using a mirror or camera you can now physically see the shift rails inside the trans. See if alll 3 are moving. If you break a shift rail end that rail wont move and the piece can get stuck and block other rails. At least you can rule out the rails easily. If you move the shifter and a rail doesnt move you've definately broken it. Did you do a hard 3rd gear shift right before this happened?

I agree with pauleyman - sounds like a shift rail problem.
If you try to move the shifter arms on the tranny by hand, do they move or are they bound up?

Pull the three detent bolts and springs and balls on the front side of the trans (radiator side). Using a mirror or camera you can now physically see the shift rails inside the trans. See if alll 3 are moving. If you break a shift rail end that rail wont move and the piece can get stuck and block other rails. At least you can rule out the rails easily. If you move the shifter and a rail doesnt move you've definately broken it. Did you do a hard 3rd gear shift right before this happened?
I was slowly accelerating up an on ramp behind a big rig and I never push hard shifting

Either way if you can't shift it by hand that's the easiest thing to check without dropping the trans. You should be able to shift it into every gear by hand without cables attached.

The shift levers rock about a half inch and I've no clue where to find those bolts

There are three bolts in a row towards the front of the car. They're towards the far passenger side of the trans. The only thing behind them is a spring and a ball.

This picture is missing the top bolt out of the 3 but it shows you where they are located.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There are three bolts in a row towards the front of the car. They're towards the far passenger side of the trans. The only thing behind them is a spring and a ball.
I'll be trying this tonight anything in particular I should be looking for

I've removed all the bolts all that came out were spring so I'm going to go see if I can find a magnet to see if I can remove the balls

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back