This is where the project began. Bought the car from the second owner. The car had been driven a few times in the last 3 years. Never seen salt or winter.
The car spent a lot of time In small but actively used garage and the body shows it. Little dents litter the doors and rear fenders. Despite the the dents the clear coat is in really good shape. These cars at this point in there life tend to have major clear coat issues. Body work will happen to fully restore to a factory look.
The first order of business was the basic maintenance. Engine oil, transmission fluid and brakes where replaced to get the car in good running order.
I wanted to restore the suspension. The car came with Tein coilovers and the ride felt good but you could tell the old rubber bushings were wore out. Noisy and loose. Bought a Prothane bushing kit and was surprised at the amount of time it took to replace everything. Mainly getting the old bushings out becasue the lack of a press.
After a half a year and getting my own house and garage to work out of I decided to pull the engine.
Unfortunately with my budget I couldn't do a full rebuild. I ended up doing a refresh. Replaced the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner. Did the water pump, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, head gasket and valve cover gasket. Did both crank and cam sensors. Also did some ARP head studs and 3g lifters becasue the old ones were ticking terribly.
27 years of oil leaks and neglect.
After cleaning and new parts.
Cleaned up all the carbon from the top of the cylinders and head.
The valves need lapping and the valve seals are starting to show signs of possible leaks. Planning to pull the head over the winter to port, polish and possibly do new valve springs, seats and retainers.