The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 1995 eclipse gst wont idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbgxLilkd

Proven Member
Jan 12, 2019
Clarkesville, Georgia
My 1995 mitsubishi eclipse gst wont idle Right for some reason. It acts like it ain’t getting fuel but I am sure it’ll turn over fine and act like it wants to start But still want have done bought new spark plus and tried hitting it with some starter fluid and still cant get it to run without me haveing my foot on the gas

I'll add one more thing. On an otherwise stock car there is no reason to continue cranking. If it doesn't try and start within a few seconds it isn't going to try if you keep cranking. This isn't an old carbureted car. It's possible that a fuel pump would have to reprime but even that shouldn't take long. If the car was running and then suddenly wasn't objective measure is what is needed first and foremost.
I just noticed you have a late 95 up timing belt tensioner suggesting you do have a 2g bottom end but for sure you have a 1g intake manifold. Which head? Who knows until that is verified.

Its a full 1g swap i know for sure i bought the car from a guy it was runnung fine no knocks tics or nothing it just wouldnt idle right so i was fine with buying it knowing it might be a head ache. But got the car home and went over everything started finding little thing here and there like vaccum leaks and stuff so went over the basics and fixed all that i could and started to get it running and now all it really does is just cranks and act like it wonts to start now on the timeing marks for the cam gears i think the dude that had it before me didnt know exactly what he was doing because they was literally turned all the way up side down where the little dots where pointing down at TDC so i change that and today i gotta finish getting all the timieing parts changed and out back on and hopefully that was my main culprit i just wish the dude wouldve been honest from the start about the car i would have still bought it‍♂️

And i know it has fuel and i have tested for vaccum leaks not boost leaks yet getting to that, idk how to adjust the biss screw but i dont think it is bottomed out ill check that when i get the chance and i know the fuel pump is kicking on for sure. Because it can be heard when turning over if you listen closely and i have replaced my iac because it was bad and my tps

Okay first I can tell you your battery is severely undercharged it should never crank that slowly and if you crank a discharged battery like that the heat from the resistance due to cold cranking on your starter can fry your solenoid. Not trying to sound like i know it all type guy trust me I did that before too back in my younger days. Also I can almost guarantee you your motor is just flooded pull the spark plugs clean them up well or replace them depending on how old they are get ngk coppers there like 12 bucks and put them back in. Also pumping the gas in a fuel injected car will flood the engine apparently they say you can put your pedal at wide open throttle and then crank because the air evens out the richness but I don’t do that just pull your plugs.

Its a full 1g swap i know for sure i bought the car from a guy it was runnung fine no knocks tics or nothing it just wouldnt idle right so i was fine with buying it knowing it might be a head ache. But got the car home and went over everything started finding little thing here and there like vaccum leaks and stuff so went over the basics and fixed all that i could and started to get it running and now all it really does is just cranks and act like it wonts to start now on the timeing marks for the cam gears i think the dude that had it before me didnt know exactly what he was doing because they was literally turned all the way up side down where the little dots where pointing down at TDC so i change that and today i gotta finish getting all the timieing parts changed and out back on and hopefully that was my main culprit i just wish the dude wouldve been honest from the start about the car i would have still bought it‍♂️
And you know for sure how? I can tell you that's a 95 up hydraulic tensioner that will not bolt up to a 1g motor. Fix the grounds. I gave you several items to verify. What did you find?

Ok i checked the compression i had 155 on both 1,2 and sadly 90 on 3,4 so tear off the head probably tommrow will post pictures and probably check the valves and make sure everythings ok there and if no guess ill work my way into replacing my piston rings

And the way i found out it was a 6bolt full swap is the oil pan the oil pans for 6 bomts and 7 bolts can’t be swapped that i know of
Believe what you want but you can clearly see in your pictures you have a crank trigger. None of that stuff will bolt up to a 1G 6 bolt. A 2g front case might bolt up to a 1g 7 bolt but the likelyhood of all that isnt high. And you still show a 2g hydraulic tensioner.

I agree with pauley and you are correct with the oil pans. You also have a 7 bolt oil pan. Your is curved, 6 bolt oil pans are straight.

You do know the cams will point down at tdc as well as up. It's a mathematical certainty. Every 6 rotations all 5 Mark's line up. If you are lining up tdc and dowels are down you just keep turning. If all 5 dont line up within 6 then the job is wrong. If cams line up when crank at tdc at least that's the most important part.

Ok thanks for the info sorry still new to this whole thing but got my cylinder head off today and some of the valves weren’t fully seated all the way so im going to go ahead and reseat them and go ahead and replace all the gasket and clean everything up i think this should help out alot with the no start. But question when i go to reinstall the head on the can timeing do i need to have the cams dots up or down then?

Ok thanks for the info sorry still new to this whole thing but got my cylinder head off today and some of the valves weren’t fully seated all the way so im going to go ahead and reseat them and go ahead and replace all the gasket and clean everything up i think this should help out alot with the no start. But question when i go to reinstall the head on the can timeing do i need to have the cams dots up or down then?
You're going to need to explain "the valves weren't fully seated." Sounds like you're saying the valves aren't closed. That would be true at times when the cams are still installed. Take the cams out. If any of the valves aren't closed with no cams in the head you have bent valves

I took the cams out and looked at the valves it was like the weren’t seated all the way on cylinder 3-4 i took them out there was alot of black gunki stuff i guess carbon or watever are the edges of them so im guess they need to be reseated and i got a pic of them ill post showing what im talking about

Here the picture but weirdly not a single valve bent

Attachments

• 289E7326-24C8-4654-89B7-90E9748AC0AB.png
    289E7326-24C8-4654-89B7-90E9748AC0AB.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 52
  • B3482335-4DE2-4A51-B640-A2D468C7F4A3.png
    B3482335-4DE2-4A51-B640-A2D468C7F4A3.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 070849D9-E2EF-479E-B74E-AD8907601915.png
    070849D9-E2EF-479E-B74E-AD8907601915.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 62432D2F-50C6-469D-A518-9E9C5979EB84.png
    62432D2F-50C6-469D-A518-9E9C5979EB84.png
    326.9 KB · Views: 45
I took the cams out and looked at the valves it was like the weren’t seated all the way on cylinder 3-4 i took them out there was alot of black gunki stuff i guess carbon or watever are the edges of them so im guess they need to be reseated and i got a pic of them ill post showing what im talking about
You don't "reseat" a valve. What are you talking about? The valves either seal or they don't. You can get a little better objective test by pouring some alcohol into the ports and see if anything comes out past the valve. If anything isn't right send the head to a machine shop. If any valve took a hit you can usually see it clearly as a shiny spot on the valve and on the piston

Yeah had one warped valve so far rest look ok could these two things between one being warped and the rest not being lapped cause my compression issues of 90 in both cylinders 3-4​

Yeah had one warped valve so far rest look ok could these two things between one being warped and the rest not being lapped cause my compression issues of 90 in both cylinders 3-4​
Warped? Or bent? Leak test it as suggested. If it leaks. Yes that's at least part if not all of your problem. Take it to a machine shop if that's the case.

I bought sum valves off a guy checked em made sure everything was straight with them no chips bends or warped one the head surface aint scratched up or nothing to bad i cleaned everything up and made it look nice i got the head gasket off the kar and looked at it and happen to notice sim of the holes from the block are covored up is this a bad thing?

Here pictures im thinking im stilk gone have it machined

Attachments

• 41989538-21CF-4F53-8B57-40E2B897373E.jpeg
    41989538-21CF-4F53-8B57-40E2B897373E.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 01A72A1C-791D-4266-AFFF-0210DE3632BD.jpeg
    01A72A1C-791D-4266-AFFF-0210DE3632BD.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 51
Sir,
Please stop where you are at the moment. I just took the time to read through all of the posts in this thread. Before you do anything else, start to read through the "Resources" Section. It will teach you a great deal about these cars.
Do not listen to your second cousin's third wive's uncle about what you car has in it. The guys here know what they are talking about. If you are going to start tearing things apart and not know how things work.....start from the beginning. Don't do it halfway.

Make sure everything is as it should be. Tearing the engine apart? Change all the gaskets and wearable parts. Messed up vacuum lines? Find a diagram from this page, and replace them all properly. Battery issues? Buy the right size battery, and install it properly (with all engine and body grounds installed as well. Every little thing can add up to big problems.

Doing all of this, while researching will help you get far.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back