The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1995 Eclipse GST M/T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElementDO

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2006
Hagerstown, Maryland
Bought this car about 6 years ago. The previous owner had lambo doors, a HUGE ricer wing, side mirrors that looked like they belonged on a moped, pool tubing for intercooler piping, ugliest white racing seats I ever seen, and SAFC mounted in the steering with bondo all over it from everything I remember. I tore all this crap apart. Cant be seen in such a beautiful stock car with all that junk. She will be going back to her original beauty.

I tore all this stuff apart and bought intercooler piping and she sat in a vacant garage for 4 1/2 years. A month ago I was playing Forza and it hit me. I gotta finish this car. I have to drive it. I have blow flames out the exhaust again.

Here is her current mods. Mostly done by the previous owner......

-Huge intercooler 32x12x3
-Intercooler piping 2.5"
-RC550 Injectors
-190LPH Fuel pump
-Stillen 3 inch downpipe
-Thermal 3 inch full exhaust (no cat)
-EVO 3 16G Turbo (ported)
-Turbo XS BOV
-Hallman ES Manual boost controller
-Aftermarket Intake
-3 layer metal head gasket
-MSD 8.5mill Race Wires

Here she is when I first got her.....
Eclipse.jpg

I dont know what this hood was supposed to be on, but it isnt an Eclipse. He bent the front clip down to get it to fit.
IMAG0063.jpg

Intercooler Piping off
IMAG0079.jpg

Gutted most the interior that was cracked or painted with chameleon paint (
IMAG0073.jpg

So far I have installed new intercooler piping and have bought a new battery. Changed all the fluids as well. She started right up on 4 1/2 year old gas btw <----Beast. Ill keep this updated and get newer pics soon. Right now Im working on getting new fans, coolant tank, and tidying up some wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignition connector fixed
SAFC wiring fixed
Removed the annoying strut tower bar
Stripped fiberglass sideskirts
Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. Car started first time for 15 minutes then stalled. Wont start up now. Cranks, but will not start.
Need new MAF. Install slim mount fan, and tune the SAFC next time I work on her.

Looking for yard parts for now. All 2g engines have been stripped around here. Need radiator cap and coolant overflow tank to finish the motor up then onto the interior.

Car started up now after sitting the MAS out for a few days.
Rough idle, stalls out if I rev it up. Stuttering hard between 2-3k RPM. Tuned the SAFC and still getting stall.

Going to seafoam, install new slim fan, fuel filter, and coolant tank this week/weekend. Wired up a little for a new stereo. Nothing high-end. Just want it to sound good. Fit up the stock bumper and realized the intercooler is too long for it. Have to cut the bottom middle piece off the bumper and install a front lip or use the body kit front bumper.

Some bad looking spark plugs... Replaced with NGK BPR6ES gaped to .028
c33b6f19.jpg

Boost leak test showed leaks at BOV and J Pipe. Need more RV silicone on the J-Pipe area. Might go with an all new BOV with flange. This RFL Turbo XS has terrible reviews.

New parts came in. Love when I get new parts. Fuel filter and Radiator overflow tank.
52c7d9b0.jpg

Heres the bracket I made for my tank out of aluminum. Ravens fan if you cant tell :)
c117a0ff.jpg

Bolted together and spaced apart with EMT to offset from the radiator. If you cant tell, I'm an electrician and the eclipse is in a warehouse where we keep materials so sometimes I get lucky finding things like this.
a5d99c45.jpg

On the car side view:
ccaa21d6.jpg

From above:
e6f70da3.jpg

Have to get these boost leaks fixed. She idles better with the new plugs, but is still stalling out sometimes. Seafoam is still in store for the weekend.

Changed fuel filter, compression tested, and seafoamed yesterday. Everything checked out good. Seafoam helped with my idling problem and also showed exhaust manifold leaks. Still running a little rich. HKS SSQV BOV, flange, and VAG cable for EvoScan have been ordered.

This wasnt fun....
905e2c4e.jpg

Peep the hood prop
f6fc645b.jpg

OEM passenger fender, center console, both airbags, and a couple other interior pieces were purchased yesterday. New HKS SSQV BOV, flange, OBD2 to USB cable for EvoScan, and J Pipe on the way. Slim fan arrived.

Loose pipe from the intercooler piping was causing a major boost leak when we re-mounted the intercooler closer to the car and a little higher. Looks much better and more secured. Shes out of alignment pretty bad.

Intercooler has been moved back and up.

New J-Pipe is installed along with the gasket (shouldn't be anymore leaks). New HKS SSQV BOV and flange is installed as well (no more leaks hopefully as well). That C-Clip is something else.... Along with finding a good enough pair of pliers for it which I dumped another 25 on. I'd stay away from the HKS SSQV BOV if I had to do it again.

Waiting on some couplings and t-bolt clamps to arrive since I moved the intercooler and have to re-route some piping.

In the meantime I started some work on the interior. New door panels and dash were the major things. Old dash was painted black and clear coated. NO MORE PAINT!

0537fc6e.jpg

Got the headliner off and door panels off to do some re-wrapping of fabric. Planning on doing that this weekend.

Finished up the IC piping with the new J-Pipe and BOV with flange. No more boost leaks! :thumb:. She's still stalling out though. Vacuum leak somewhere by the manifold Im trying to find.

New slim mount fan was too big. Have to order a 10" fan. My stupidity for not measuring and just assuming :aha:

Finished up wrapping and cleaning the door panels though. They look real good now. No more 1995 retro look :thumb:

My friend Jeff gave me a hand with this:

516944e4.jpg

86feeb01.jpg

54361371.jpg

7462756f.jpg

Loving the new look. Cant wait to install them and get of the old painted and clear coated ones! Shes coming together. Need to find this damn vacuum leak causing her to stall out and I'll be a happy camper :cool:

Headliner is wrapped and done in black. Can't wait to install this one.

4f60bb08.jpg

Hey if you read the back of the maf cleaner can it says not to use on our cars. I've heard of it ruining peoples maf sensors so if your car is running sketchy you might need a new one. just my 2 cents LOL

I read that as well and started a thread not to do it. I did clean it then it didnt start for a while. Let it dry for a few days and then it started again. She'll get a new one eventually. I dont know how it runs since I dont have tags or anything yet. Cant really drive. Just start it up for now. I do hear a big vac leak though. Going to puff some cigar smoke in it and hopefully find the leak.

Vac leak test showed leaks out of fuel injectors and throttle body. Big leaks. Hopefully this is my idle issue problem. Ordered a new fuel injector seal kit, new spark plugs (NGK BPR7ES since I seafoamed the 6's and looks like I need 7's with the modifications), spark plug wires (one was chewed up from the timing belt), and a throttle body gasket. Need to still order seals for the throttle body and a throttle body elbow gasket. Still need to get a hold of a MAF as well. Thinking all this is my idling issue.

Holding back on putting the interior together until I get a new 12v plug for the middle console, speakers, and an amp wiring kit. Coming together but sloooooooooowly.....

Had some time today to knock out these fuel injector seals, and get this leaky throttle body apart

Fuel injectors were leaking at the bottom seals here:
d39e73a4.jpg

Replaced them with 4 new OEM fuel injector o-ring kits and no more leaks from that area :)

So it was off to the leaky throttle body.....It was leaking out of the BISS screw (replaced it with a brand new one with O-Ring) and at the throttle springs. Replacing the seals was a must. I ordered some Mil-Spec seals off STM. Pretty fast shipping, but $22 and $4 to ship 2 little seals? You can throw them in an envelope for 25 cents!
As I took the one side off I noticed the old ones were mil-spec as well. Beat the hell of out of me as to why it was leaking then. I got one side on and the other went #### eyed on me on the vice so I bent the outer metal casing. There goes another $26 :)...... So I just cleaned her up and got the one seal on the spring side in.
ad39bc97.jpg

Also attacked putting a new 12v plug in the console. Had to drill it out about 1/8" but it worked great.
da1dc0c6.jpg

Gotta get this last mil.spec seal and that should be all the vac leaks (for now), then I'll install a new MAF next week from a member on here. Cant wait till shes running smooth again and then off to the interior and exterior.

New MAF and clean throttle body installed. Didnt seat an injector seal in the top of an injector correctly so I had fuel coming out of it. Fixed that issue fast before the motor got too hot :).

Seems to be running the same with the MAF. Idles like a dream now. Still having a sputter issue when I hit the gas in neutral. Thinking it could be the TPS not correctly showing the throttle as completely closed. Ill have to get temp tags and drive it to figure that out.

On to the interior and exterior. Interior really just needs put together. Have all the pieces except I need new gauges.

Exterior need a fender, hood, new hood pins, and an OEM front bumper to be complete and ready for body work and paint.

Coming along.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back