The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1995 eagle talon esi (evo 8 swap)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very clean 2g. I will def. be following this build. Excited to see how it turns out. Good luck bud.

Very clean 2g. I will def. be following this build. Excited to see how it turns out. Good luck bud.

Thanks, i'll post pics when I'm done building the engine. All i need is a head gasket, and oil pump and i should be good to put the engine together.

yea i kind of gave up on the fact that i won't have it ready for SOCAL MOD but oh well.

The swap is not as difficult as most people believe. And converting to awd is the same, a 2g auto diff has the same gear ratio as the evo 8 t-case so could swap in the rear end and run awd.

Look forward to seeing you drop in the engine. I won't be to far behind you on my swap as well. Just need to gather up a few more parts.

I remember seeing a mivec engine in a 2g at last years shootout.

It wasn't a mivec evo 9. I know who you're talking about. It was an evo 8. I've been in touch with him. I probably won't post for a while until I'm done with the engine.

Clean talon! I'm very interested in the ecm harness swap / getting it to work with the factory cluster (or even evo 8 cluster swap). I would love if you documented this =)

I'm very familiar with the 3g eclipse platform. I was looking for an awesome project, so I did pick up an eclipse oz edition with trans problems for dirt cheap. My plan is to use a 3g eclipse engine/manual trans with an evo 8 head swap. The eclipse 3g manual transmission weak point is the stock LSD. It should be okay for stock boost on the evo engine. I did see you picked up some cams for your build, so sounds like you'll need the LSD for the eclipse trans.

Subscribed though! Best of luck man.

On a side note if you're not aware you can use the Kia optima head instead of the expensive evo head.

Yes you're correct. FYI the Evo head raises compression of the engine from 9.5:1 to 10.2:1 vs the Kia head which does not raise compression of the engine.

413.jpg

523.jpg

Also, it should be noted that the stock 4g64 longblock is capable of 300 whp and wtq with just the necessary fuel upgrades.

IMAG0025.jpg

Last edited:
3G eclipse owners have been putting evo 8 heads on the short block without upgrading the pistons. Why do you say they have to be forged. I'm curious.

Also just incase anyone is wondering the hyundai valve cover does not fit the evo 8 cylinder head. They have a slightly different bolt pattern.

On a side note if you're not aware you can use the Kia optima head instead of the expensive evo head.

Which generation Optima are you talking about? My fiancé has a 2011 Optima with the Theta II engine. Did some researching for her since she wanted to turbo it, and it has similarities with Mitsu's 4B11, making some parts interchangeable. So would it be the older Optima with the head you're talking about?

Mi"sma;153423889 said:
3G eclipse owners have been putting evo 8 heads on the short block without upgrading the pistons. Why do you say they have to be forged. I'm curious.

Also just incase anyone is wondering the hyundai valve cover does not fit the evo 8 cylinder head. They have a slightly different bolt pattern.

Fixed, I double checked and what I said earlier was a recommendation instead of a requirement due to the increase of the overall compression of the motor. I'll check my sources again later for more detailed info.

For the few who didn't believe this swap could be done, here's a pic I've been searching for and finally found.

Why wouldn't someone believe it could be done? there are threads and pics that go back to at least 2006. It has been done several times.

BDD5BEE3A4jA4p20_1146745668.jpg

45_1146578645.jpg

52_1146579488.jpg

dam this escalated quickly LOL.

I have spent around the same price you would pay to buy a complete short block except i have a new rebuilt turbo and built head with a stock short block. I will be on a conservative tune for the time being and switch over to E85 later on.

on a side note does anybody get discounts on oem parts? i need some oem parts

dam this escalated quickly LOL.

I have spent around the same price you would pay to buy a complete short block except i have a new rebuilt turbo and built head with a stock short block. I will be on a conservative tune for the time being and switch over to E85 later on.

on a side note does anybody get discounts on oem parts? i need some oem parts

oemmitsubishiparts.com

It's a place in texas with great prices! You can always punch in the MR#'s (part numbers) into an ebay search. There is a few dealerships online there that are selling oem parts for even cheaper than my above site (after shipping).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back