The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

2G 1995 2G rpm’s drop while I’m driving

Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookyrise

Probationary Member
Jun 19, 2024
Idaho
Need help:
My rpm’s drop while I’m driving and it’s like a loss of power but when I’m going like under 50 the rpm’s stay fine but when I hit like 60 rpm’s drop to 1k
(Tried adding a video but it’s not adding ) checked all the plugs and hoses

Hi and welcome to the forum. To better help us help you, please fill out a vehicle profile... or at least let us know what you have (rs, gs, gst, gsx) and any mods that you are aware of.

Need help:
My rpm’s drop while I’m driving and it’s like a loss of power but when I’m going like under 50 the rpm’s stay fine but when I hit like 60 rpm’s drop to 1k
(Tried adding a video but it’s not adding ) checked all the plugs and hoses
Under what conditions? Cruise? Full throttle? How did you "check" plugs and hoses? Visual or did you check wire continuity, hose integrity pressure check etc.
Is there a check engine light(CEL)?
Is this a problem out of the blue or did it get worse over time? Have you changed anything? What is your mechanical ability?

Last edited:
no check engine light and just cruising like normal no full throttle and yes I checked and its a problem out of nowhere and no haven’t changed anything but I’m thinking maybe my tps

TPS doesn't strictly control your engine speed
Auto or manual?

Are you saying your foot is on the gas at 50mph, you're accelerating and then once you hit 60, it just goes to 1000rpm?
That's basically impossible with manual without pressing the clutch pedal because the wheels would be turning the drivetrain and then the engine, forcing it to be whatever rpm corresponds to that speed in the gear you're in. So.. i'm thinking auto?

If you coast back from 60 to 50, does the rpm automatically shoot back up?
If you have a youtube account, you can post a video there and then share the link here.

no check engine light and just cruising like normal no full throttle and yes I checked and its a problem out of nowhere and no haven’t changed anything but I’m thinking maybe my tps

Why would you think that?

Auto or manual?

Are you saying your foot is on the gas at 50mph, you're accelerating and then once you hit 60, it just goes to 1000rpm?
That's basically impossible with manual without pressing the clutch pedal because the wheels would be turning the drivetrain and then the engine, forcing it to be whatever rpm corresponds to that speed in the gear you're in. So.. i'm thinking auto?

If you have a youtube account, you can post a video there and then share the link here.
Why would you think that?
Just a thought still learning as I go

Just a thought still learning as I go
Auto or manual?

Also it’s auto and it runs fine but usually when I hit 60 rpm’s drop and if I slow down or anything the rpm’s just stay low and bogs down and a vid is uploading rn idk how long it’ll take

From the description it sounds like the tranny just shifted into top gear (4 - od) and isn't down shifting when you step on the gas. If that's the case, that could be indicative of needing to change the tranny fluid and clean out the valve body, or an issue with the tcu (transmission computer). Other's thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back