The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1995 10 sec FWD build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2009
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Im going to start a build thread to keep track of the progress of my car over the years. I picked up this car in 2009. It was listed as having 70,000miles on the motor and 200,000+ miles on the shell. Well shortly after I purchased it for 3,800$ I found out that it was the original motor and tranny. Oh well.

It came with stock injectors, an ebay 16g, ETS street FMIC, SAFC, and a walbro 255. I picked up some 550s and went to the dyno to get it tuned on the SAFC LOL.
car-dyno.jpg

It made 280whp @ 20lbs or so with a slipping clutch. I went to the track with this setup and went 14.2@105ish. I dont even remember its been so long ago.

I got rid of the rims that came with the car, picked up an ACT 2600pp with a 6 puck sprung clutch, DSMlink, 850s, AFPR, and a AEM wideband. Switched over to e85 and turned the boost up to 27-30lbs.
carpic.jpg

I also started taking weight out of the car like the ac,ps, and sound denoting stuff. Headed back to the track on bfg 225x15 drag radials and went 13.4@114 on e85. At this point I had a fun little street car. I was out driving the car a lot and driving it hard till it decided to crankwalk about 2 weeks after I put the new clutch in.

After that, I wanted to do a budget build with the 2g piston/1g rod 6 bolt build. In the end I decided to go with a 9:1 eagle/wiesco build thank god LOL.

builtmotor.jpg

We got it running on the 16g with the built motor but it wasn't enough anymore. Why have a built motor and a small turbo?
So, I picked up my first hx35. I used the stock divided back housing with an ebay t3 open manifold. Didn't do a ton of research about the oiling unfortunately. Went to tune and at 25lbs it felt good, turned it up to 30lbs and pulled harder. Well I wanted to see what the turbo was capable of. Turned it all the way up to 40lbs and couldn't get good logs cause I was still spinning the tires in 4th to about 120mph. I did a couple pulls and that's all it took to blow that turbo since it was being fed from the head.
richardengine.jpg

hx35-1.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

This is how bad the turbo was smoking when I pulled back into the shop the first night I had it on.
blownturbo.jpg

I work 6 months out of the year out of state so I left the car broken at home while I went to work. I came back and put another hx35 on the car. I went to the track for the first time with the turbo and had pretty good results. I picked up so QTPs for the front which helped a lot with the traction issue.

My first pass was 13.1@120 missing 2nd gear. I was pretty excited with the mph though and was thinking I was so close to 12s. I have never made a 12 sec pass with any car so this was a big deal LOL. The night got a lot better for sure. My next pass I hit 2nd and went 11.9@125ish so I skipped right over the 12s all together. I ended the night with my best pass being 11.4@125. This was on about 27lbs. It turns out my ebay manifold was cracked and a leaky BOV so the boost wouldnt go up.
Headed back to the track the next week and had another personal best of 11.2@126
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Changed the setup around a little bit. I added an evo3 intake manifold, 3in FMIC, tial BOV, and new piping
IMG_0382.jpg

I then went to the dyno on the one walbro pump and 1600 injectors on e85. I made 527whp
IMG_0388.jpg

I was out of fuel though at 33lbs so I added an bosch 044 inline to run more boost. I turned it up to 38lbs and went back to the track.

I new I had the power to run 10s and at this point no one had gone 10s with the hx35 yet. Well I was having some driver issues and it didnt happen tonight. I managed an 11.2@134.
IMG_0390.jpg

I wasn't the first to run 10s with the hx35 but I still did it about a week later. I went 10.98@134
IMG_0396.jpg

I never dynoed the car again on higher boost but was making some good power. I went back to the track one more time at couldn't run anything better than 11.0 but the mph was 135-138.

Then I found a great deal on a 7blade billet wheel hx40 so I went in that direction. Changed the whole setup again. I got a LSD for the tranny, JMF SMIM, dynatek arc2, L19s, SLS manifold and a new fuel setup.

motorside.jpg

I managed to get a carbon fiber hood and hatch too.
outside.jpg

sump2.jpg

I thought I had figured out the oiling issue but I was wrong. I went to the track with this turbo and blew it the first pass. I then got another one and went to the dyno. Everything was good but turned it up to 40lbs again and snapped the shaft making 682whp.
IMG_0467.jpg

So I got an AEM oil pressure gauge and started logging oil pressure after the restrictor and now I have it perfect. Went to the track and ran 10.93@139 and 11.0@140.
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

At this point I realized I was maxing out the QTPs. I would have to limit the boost for half the track to hook so it was killing my et. Plus with the LSD installed I still couldn't cut anything better than a 1.80 60ft. On top of all that, my clutch was slipping a little in 3rd too.

My choices were to get a twin disk or sell my 5speed tranny and go auto. I picked the auto swap. Another change in my setup and I ended up with the auto tranny with a IPT valvebody/shift kit, roadsurge shift box, rebuilt n/t throttle body by throttlebodies.com, and I switched to AEM EMS from DSMlink. Thats about where I'm at now. Im waiting on the shift box to come in so I can get the car running again and back to the track with the auto and some true slicks. Ill keep this updated as things happen. Here is the most current pic of the engine bay
enginebay3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome build and documentary. Ive been watching your car which has given me motivation in mine. I have a build going too in the drag race section you should check it out....

Explain what you did to finally figure out the oiling? I really like the Holset platform (mainly because im a cheap ass) so i want these things to last.

Again nice car and congrats on your milestones thus far!

The restrictor I had for the hx35 was too small for the hx40 for some reason. It didnt make sense so I didn't change it until I took apart the hx40 with the snapped shaft and realized it was due to lack of oil. I put a bigger restrictor in there and the oil pressure at 8k is about 80psi which is fine.

Great read man and great job. I read the title and after the first sentence I was like "oh look, another tool that thinks he can get a fwd car and just go run 10's..." I was way off, so again, congrats man.

LOL thanks man. Now im just a fwd car running 10s trying to run 9s. Does that make me a tool? haha.

I just got my roadsurge shift box in the mail today so the car should be up and running and tuned on AEM by the end of the week

Great setup I am looking for the same results as you, keep it up!:thumb:

Great read man and great job. I read the title and after the first sentence I was like "oh look, another tool that thinks he can get a fwd car and just go run 10's..." I was way off, so again, congrats man.

I think this is exactly what most of us older and/or wiser DSM'ers think at first glance, but i too applaud the efforts and results. I only wish i could have claimed the same when my car was still FWD, as it's a much bigger feat than going 10's in an AWD, especially being a 2g car.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for this car/member's work, efforts and results. definitely more work/effort and intellegence into this build than just straight duckets and it shows!

Richard, I've seen you around the Link forums for a long while and never realized how long of a road you've been on to get the results you have. Kudos to you man, I'm excited to see what you have in store for 2012!

oilpressuregauge.jpg

This probably isn't the best way to do it since it leaks a little but it works for now.

Also, I got the roadsurge shift box/digital delay box wired up and the car shifts great. Everything works which is exciting LOL. I just need to get the car tuned then its time to get ready for IFO in Bradenton.

gaugecluster.jpg

Here it is running and driving. Still waiting on the tuner to get back in to town on sunday to get the tuning done. He did some drivability stuff already so it drives fine, I just cant floor it:(
gaugedisplay.jpg

I like gauges LOL
Autometer nitrous pressure, boost, and water temp
AEM wideband, oil pressure, and trans temp.

I am very interested in how your auto fwd performs. Will give me something to aim for with mine, haha.

Very nice! Cant wait to see how she performs. Just out of curiosity, you have any pics of what the shifter looks like in the car?

Lookin good fgt.

Very nice! Cant wait to see how she performs. Just out of curiosity, you have any pics of what the shifter looks like in the car?

It looks like a stock automatic eclipse.

update- went to the track with the auto for the first time. Only 1/8 stuff so far.

First pass- the car pushed through the brakes stalling up so I tried to stall it up and go when it started to roll but it didnt work out to well. IT left hard but tripped the beams for a 1.99 60ft. Still made my best 1/8 pass to date at 7.2@104 blowing an intercooler pipe off at the top of the track.

2nd pass- Left a little better but still pushed through the brakes. Hooked and went though. 2nd it was hazing the tires cause we turned the boost up. Then at 9k in 2nd the roadsurge shift box reset and downshifted to first revving the car to 11,600 rpms. Heres a video of the pass
Richard33, 11,600RPM! - YouTube
Not sure what the extent of the damage is. So far I know the crank pulley is broken, it threw 2 rocker arms, and have low compression in cylinder 4. I guess we will see the head is off the car now. Im going to take the motor apart and check everything out.

if you pump the brakes and hold the ebrake. it works alot better

if you pump the brakes and hold the ebrake. it works alot better

Its a FWD car. With the ebrake up the front tires start to spin.

I do have a new personal best 1/8 the first pass with the auto. I pushed through the brakes tripping the beam and an IC pipe blew off at the top of the track though so there is A LOT more in this setup with some more time-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbfbj9CJL4

Last edited:
damn that's a very nice car you have there, i'll post my build thread up soon too. good luck man I hope the motor isn't too bad. keep us posted

nice car and nice numbers.. u cut a better 60ft it will help u out alot

nice car and nice numbers.. u cut a better 60ft it will help u out alot

Thanks guys.

update on the motor- the thrust bearing is worn out so I guess my 6 bolt crankwalked LOL. Im putting all new bearings in the motor and slapping it back together to try to make a clean pass before I have to go to work out of state for 6 months.

Nice build, love the autos!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back